My all time favorite quote

Options
From a reader Maria of Oxygen magazine:
"Day after day, I get harassed and ridiculed by my coworkers who ask why I am eating "that" for lunch, why I don't want to order out. My answer is always that I'm trying to lose the last ten pounds. But is hard to stick to clean eating when they ate waving pizza in my face all the time. Then, after reading Oxygen, I finally came up with a better answer for them. "because day after day I am inspired to be a better me."

Do you guys have workplace haters?

Unfortunately, I do and I think they project their own self-dissatisfaction on me.
How do you deal?

Replies

• samanthasimps0n
    samanthasimps0n Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I read in Self Magazine that we should all learn to stay the word "Don't" in a positive way. For example:

I don't skip workouts.
    I don't eat less than 3 meals a day.
    I don't eat brownies.

Perhaps when people ask "We're ordering pizza! want some?" you can say "I don't eat pizza". Typically that will stop people in their tracks from asking Why?.

My office ordered Chinese food last week and I was the only one not to place an order. People weren't too mean about it but they asked why I didn't want any and all i said was "i brought my own lunch today". And that was that! Good luck :)
  • leradoms
    leradoms Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Wow that sucks, but I just make sure I pack my lunch the night before to avoid temptation.
    My co-workers call me an inspiration!
  • sigsby
    sigsby Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    We are having pizza at work tomorrow. I'll have one slice and eat a nice salad. Don't want to be anti-social.
  • stephaniemejia1671
    stephaniemejia1671 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I save money and bring my food ALL the time. I always get "I wish I did that."
  • sassynkp
    sassynkp Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Great quote.
  • ACSL3
    ACSL3 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I save money and bring my food ALL the time. I always get "I wish I did that."

I get the same response, or I get "you're so good, you bring your lunch"

I've found that people who try to wave food in front of me are like bullies on the playground or an annoying sibling in that if you ignore them they go away. I'm not saying ignore them all the time, you don't want to be asocial, just when they're doing something you don't like. They want to get a reaction out of you, and if you don't give it to them they get bored :laugh:

Great quote!
  • frazzlecg
    frazzlecg Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Well the pizza thing is more in line with the woman who wrote the quote.

I get some mean responses. One day I brought in chicken nuggets and broccoli.
    Mean guy: I see you have your Weight Watchers with you.
    Me: chicken nuggets is Weight Watchers?
    Mean guy: those are probably the Weight Watchers kind.
    Me: no they're not
    Mean guy: that broccoli you have, that's Weight Watchers
    Me: I don't want to know how constipated you are

I had a nurse call me a show off for taking the stairs, a security guard asking why I'm running if I'm skinny, and another coworker who kept pushing me to have a bigger since of cake than the sliver I had. They are so negative.

I don't even diet. I try to eat good, but take a look at my diary. I'm a normal Jane who tries to eat better but messes up sometimes too. I'm not an anorexic and my bmi is by no means high nor low.

'Vent over', thanks for reading.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,097 Member
    Options
    I always come back with a positive excited outgoing attitude. I have supportive coworkers, but everyone has questioned my "overnight oatmeal in a jar with fresh fruit" breakfast and EVERYONE questions my healthy ful salads that I eat daily.

The think my salad is so interesting.

But back to the point, Just answer with a positive answer. Don't be so defensive. Immediately I say "I LOVE my salad, it's so good, Today I put beets in my salad, tomorrow I'm going to try cottage cheese!" "Oh, my oatmeal, it's so good, no added sugar, fresh made from scratch" Most people don't know how I have the time to make this stuff. Seriously, I shred vegetables and throw the in a bowl. The oatmeal, I throw raw oats and skim milk and 1/2 banana and 5 blueberries and some cinnamon in a jar and put it in the fridge.

What's so hard about this?

I just talk about how yummy it is. It's so great!
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,097 Member
    Options
    Actually, I heard you should say "want" instead. I want to have fruit instead of brownies. I want to workout. I want to eat 5 meals a day. I want to eat my salad from home. I want to eat at my desk by myself.
    I read in Self Magazine that we should all learn to stay the word "Don't" in a positive way. For example:

I don't skip workouts.
    I don't eat less than 3 meals a day.
    I don't eat brownies.

Perhaps when people ask "We're ordering pizza! want some?" you can say "I don't eat pizza". Typically that will stop people in their tracks from asking Why?.

My office ordered Chinese food last week and I was the only one not to place an order. People weren't too mean about it but they asked why I didn't want any and all i said was "i brought my own lunch today". And that was that! Good luck :)
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Wow that sucks, but I just make sure I pack my lunch the night before to avoid temptation.
    My co-workers call me an inspiration!

Same here. One of my coworkers has lost 25 lbs and told me that I inspired him.

Maybe it helps that as a big dude, my "sensible" meals are the size of most peoples' regular meals.