Best way to jazz up a sweet potato!

Options
horseplaypen
horseplaypen Posts: 442 Member
Thinking about sweet potatoes as sides for dinner tonight. I like mine steamed plain with a little cinnamon, but I'd like to make something a little... more... for boyfriend, who has trouble hitting his 3500 cal/day goal for gaining.

So, what's the tastiest way you know of preparing a sweet potato, that is also fairly simple and quick? Doesn't need to be low-cal, in fact it's better if it isn't!

Thanks!

Replies

• seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    Add some honey to the top. Mmmmmmm.......

You could also "twice bake"it. Bake it, scoop out the middle. Mix the middle stuff with whatever you want.....cinnamon, honey, cheese, whatever you like...even some veggies. Whip til creamy, put back in the tater and bake some more.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Peel & slice ..... toss with olive oil & season with balsamic vinegar and herbs ... and the roast them. Yum
  • TrishLG
    TrishLG Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    cook, mash, add brown sugar or cinnamon and sugar and your favorite chopped nuts. Whipped cream would be good too. :flowerforyou:
  • bmstee03
    bmstee03 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Warmed Salsa, Jalepeno's, cheese/sour cream. It sounds weird but I swear the heat complements the sweet sooo well.
  • 135nicole
    135nicole Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    If you don't need to loose the weight. Roast sweet potato quarters in olive oil and use oregano and salt to taste.
  • Wennie11
    Options
    Preheat oven to 400 degrees
    toss 1 inch chunks of sweet potato in a couple of tablespoons of coconut oil with salt and pepper to taste
    spread in a single layer on a baking sheet
    roast... stirring occasionally.... until tender, about 40 minutes
    transfer to bowl and toss with lime zest or toasted coconut
    can add pecans or macadamia nuts for more calories and nutrition!
  • horseplaypen
    Options
    Great ideas guys, thanks!
  • jerryatrics
    jerryatrics Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I second the loaded sweet potato - any type of ground meat (I like to make chili and put it in sweet potatoes but that might take more time than you're looking for) plus salsa, cilantro, cheese, sour cream.
  • twoss9112
    twoss9112 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    So, what's the tastiest way you know of preparing a sweet potato, that is also fairly simple and quick? Doesn't need to be low-cal, in fact it's better if it isn't!

Throw some (real) butter on it (not a ton, just an appropriate pat so that it melts in), shake some cinnamon, some brown sugar... YUMMMM!
  • thevegankelly
    thevegankelly Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    http://www.food.com/recipe/dry-curry-sweet-potatoes-80113

We just made this two nights in a row.
  • MartineCoppens
    MartineCoppens Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Roasting is the best way in my opinion, recipe on my blog here > http://martinesrecipes.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/roast-sweet-potato-wedges.html YUM!

Roast+sweet+potato.jpg
  • Peanutbutterx
    Options
    baked sweet potato fries! cut into wedges, spray with pam, add salt/pepper or cinnamon/spray butter bake at 425 for about 20 min or until crispy :)
  • BellehavenfarmDawn
    BellehavenfarmDawn Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    TX for the tips. going to try twice baked right now, adding cinnamon and nutmeg. Avoiding oil...I want to "enjoy" every bite of my calories!
  • phatso22
    phatso22 Posts: 1
    Options
    One way of adding calories and protein (specially if it is for someone who is having trouble eating or keeping weigh on) without affecting taste too much is to add powdered milk to a recipe. i.e.: mashed potatoes usually have milk, you can add a tablespoon or two of powdered milk. Although I usually don't add milk to my sweet potato you could try that. I have added it to shakes or even a plain glass of milk. It is better than adding butter which is too much fat ratio to the recipe.
  • horseplaypen
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies!

I kind of had to make do with what I had in the cupboard, so I ended up microwaving the sweet potato, then scooped out the innards and mixed with 1/2 cup romano beans, 2 tbsp ricotta, and 1/4 cup salsa. Put it back into the skins, topped with shredded cheese, and baked for 10 min. Boyfriend loved it!

Next time I will definitely try roasting them. :)
  • hockeyd11
    hockeyd11 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    everything sounds delicious!
  • XRavenhood
    XRavenhood Posts: 102
    Options
    My favorite way is to mix equal parts of natural peanut butter with real maple syrup plus a pinch of salt, stir and pour the sauce on an oven-baked sweet potato. It's DELICIOUS! and it's got a higher calorie, fat and protein count thanks to the peanut butter.

1e2652d4-c218-448d-af14-2a3dc2ded33c_zps3f6050c1.jpg

Hope you guys enjoy =)