Need vegetarian meal ideas on a budget!

Options
2»

Replies

• BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Tortilla wraps are a good breakfast or lunch idea.
  • babyangelica2010
    babyangelica2010 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Tortilla wraps are a good breakfast or lunch idea.

The little ones I have are 40 cals and 8g carbs each. I like to make quesadillas :) I even used to put fried eggs in it.
  • thevegankelly
    thevegankelly Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Are you buying as much as you can from the bulk bins? I buy all of my beans, quinoa, nuts, etc. from the organic bulk bins in my local grocery store, and it ends up being way cheaper than non-organic packaged versions.

And Vegan on the Cheap is a great book (like someone mentioned). It gets used a lot in our house, especially on the day before grocery day when we're running out of food.
  • FeatherBoBeather
    FeatherBoBeather Posts: 255 Member
    Options

Ooo awesome, thanks for sharing this. :-)
  • babyangelica2010
    Options
    Are you buying as much as you can from the bulk bins? I buy all of my beans, quinoa, nuts, etc. from the organic bulk bins in my local grocery store, and it ends up being way cheaper than non-organic packaged versions.

And Vegan on the Cheap is a great book (like someone mentioned). It gets used a lot in our house, especially on the day before grocery day when we're running out of food.

I do buy some stuff in bulk when I can, but since I can't eat gluten, I have to stick to the gluten free bins because the other stuff has a high chance of cross contamination.
  • jackiesaurus
    jackiesaurus Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm pescatarian and eat primarily vegetarian, feel free to add me if you want more ideas!

My boyfriend and I spend $40 - $75 a week on groceries, and he could eat for two people, seriously. On the note of soy, everything in moderation. Don't eat soy products with every meal, but a couple times a week is fine! He eats meat and the only difference in our diet is him buying turkey sandwich meat. While some of this isn't the cleanest eating, it's easy and kid-friendly. I also make a lot of this on sundays and bring to work throughout the week (soup, salad, quinoa, veggie stir fry, sandwiches (w/o sauce) last me from sunday or monday nights to friday lunch)

In an average week we make:

1. Soup (makes 4 - 6 adult servings at least)
    - veggie broth (whole can/box diluted with 50% water), salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, garlic powder
    - potato, celery, carrot, and onion

2. Raw veggies with dressing or peanut butter (5 adult snack/side dish servings)
    - celery and carrots left over from the soup
    - dressing (you can make your own with oil, vinegar, mustard, lemon juices, spices - experiment!)

3. Roasted fresh or frozen veggies (4 adult side dishes)
    - carrot/onions left over from the soup or frozen broccoli or frozen mixed veggies

4. Baked potato (only around 100 calories for a small plain baked potato and you can make a ton with a $3/bag of potatoes!)
    - I stab a washed potato throughout the potato, wrap in damp paper towel and microwave for 3ish minutes on each side when I don't have time to properly bake them! Often served with roasted veggies and a soy meat.

5. Egg salad sandwiches (or just plain egg salad on the side! - 6 eggs easily makes 4 adult sandwich portions)
    - egg
    - celery (left over from the above ^)
    - light mayo
    - bread

6. Box of Kraft Mac n Cheese (2 adult meals)
    - if you do the "light prep" of the stove top version (2 tablespoons of butter and skim milk for the sauce) it's not thatttt bad.
    - we mix in steamed veggies and sprinkle on a tiny bit of shredded cheese

7. Veggie Chili (4 - 6 adult servings)
    - use whatever beans, lentils, and even ground soy (not too expensive - $4 for a bag) and whatever left over veggies you have! if not filling enough, serve with crackers or toast (reminds me of eating it in a bread bowl, lol)

8. Quinoa (One cup of quinoa is 3 - 4 side dish servings) - i make a quinoa salad with avocado, tomato and chickpeas (and a homemade oil/lemon juice/mustard/pepper dressing - so the avocado doesnt brown) that lasts for days (diced spinach and cilantro optional)

9. Spinach salads (with leftover veggies/dressing), spinach on (leftover) veggie sandwiches (or wraps with tortilla), spinach in pasta (pasta, sauce, spinach, frozen veggies), hell we'll throw spinach on grilled cheese to make it healthier! lol

10. Veggie quesadillas or burritos (beans, veggies, rice, tortilla, sprinkle of cheese)

11. Veggie stir fry (brown rice, veggies, sauce, scrambled egg)

12. Fruit salad (whatever fruit lying around cut up) also with cottage cheese or yogurt if you want (breakfast and dessert!)

13. Also fruit and/or nuts - i throw them in my spinach salads, eat them as a snack, or cold pasta salad.

I know

For a pescatarian variety I'll usually do one of the above per week with shrimp, salmon, tuna steak (or canned tuna for tuna salad), tilapia or even stuffed clams :)
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    If you ware babysitting 3 days per week, the child's parent should be packing at least their snacks or not meals -- or providing you with 10-20 dollars for extra food.

That said --- dried beans, chick peas, peanut butter, eggs, rice, last chance produce

I am paid 25 a day for watching her. It's a part time job on top of my other part time job so lets say the cost of feeding her is 10, I get paid 15 that day. You don't get rich from babysitting unfortunately lol

Um, I think you missed my point... the parents of the child you are watching should be providing her food or you should be including it in your daily rate. My daughter goes to daycare twice a week. I pay 30 per day in addition to packing her lunch. The service provides snacks and drinks. You should no be expected to buy food in addition to only making 25 per day.

No, I figured that's what you meant. I pay 30 for my daughter's daycare and food is included. Her first daycare when she was 1 was 25 a day and I packed her meals and snacks. In my area, that's the average amount people pay. If I put the cost up, they will just bring her somewhere else.

But... If you pay 30 dollars and meals are included, why aren't you charging that too? Unless she is going to daycare out of your target market?

ETA: Not trying to be a jerk -- I run two businesses in a poor, rural area -- I understand your concerns. Just don't sell yourself too short!
  • Catzwitch
    Catzwitch Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    http://www.amazon.com/Eat-Vegan-4-00-Day-Conscious/dp/1570672571

She's an amazing author. athlete, and person. :)
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

Ooo awesome, thanks for sharing this. :-)

You are welcome -- LOVE them.
  • redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    bump
  • babyangelica2010
    Options
    If you ware babysitting 3 days per week, the child's parent should be packing at least their snacks or not meals -- or providing you with 10-20 dollars for extra food.

That said --- dried beans, chick peas, peanut butter, eggs, rice, last chance produce

I am paid 25 a day for watching her. It's a part time job on top of my other part time job so lets say the cost of feeding her is 10, I get paid 15 that day. You don't get rich from babysitting unfortunately lol

Um, I think you missed my point... the parents of the child you are watching should be providing her food or you should be including it in your daily rate. My daughter goes to daycare twice a week. I pay 30 per day in addition to packing her lunch. The service provides snacks and drinks. You should no be expected to buy food in addition to only making 25 per day.

No, I figured that's what you meant. I pay 30 for my daughter's daycare and food is included. Her first daycare when she was 1 was 25 a day and I packed her meals and snacks. In my area, that's the average amount people pay. If I put the cost up, they will just bring her somewhere else.

But... If you pay 30 dollars and meals are included, why aren't you charging that too? Unless she is going to daycare out of your target market?

ETA: Not trying to be a jerk -- I run two businesses in a poor, rural area -- I understand your concerns. Just don't sell yourself too short!

Well I started watching her almost 2 years ago so that was what I thought was the right amount to charge. If I raised the amount now, like I said they would probably switch her.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    sneak into the neighbor's yard and eat as much grass as you can before they notice.
  • Smash323
    Options
    I made hummus melts last night, super easy and delicious... and on the cheap!

You can make however many you want, but what you do is:

Take half an English muffin, spread with 1 T hummus (I used roasted garlic), add a few leaves of baby spinach and top with 1/4 C mozzarella cheese. Hit it with the broiler for a few minutes until the cheese is browning and bubly and enjoy!
    YUM! Thanks for this idea. I could even make these at work!

+1 on the quinoa suggestion. I made quinoa cups earlier this week for the first time. They were really filling.

But $13 a bag sounds crazy steep. I'd look around online for someplace that will ship a smaller, less expensive bag if you only have access to one store.
  • arkgirl81
    arkgirl81 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I find lots of great ideas on allrecipies.com! Tonight i made Kale Chips. Totally to die for! And simple things like apple slices dipped in almond butter always satisfy my sweet tooth. Good luck to you!
  • FeatherBoBeather
    FeatherBoBeather Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    sneak into the neighbor's yard and eat as much grass as you can before they notice.

:laugh: