Insulin Resistant

Options
Has anyone taken Metformin (Glucouphage) for being Insulin Resistant? How did it make you feel? Did it help with your weight loss?

Replies

• cindybpitts
    cindybpitts Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Anybody?
  • Panda_1999
    Panda_1999 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I'm on insulin, so can't really answer your question but...
    You might want to give this group a try :-)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/529-diabetes-prediabetes-and-insulin-resistance
  • habu68123
    habu68123 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I haven't (pre-diabetic right now) but if you search the groups section there is a diabetes, ir & pre-diabetes group that has a lot of discussions about it.
  • yensidtoon
    yensidtoon Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I am on metformin because I have very low blood sugar. I take it to keep my blood sugar steady and at a safe level. It has not helped me lose weight and I have been on it for almost 3 years. I have noticed though that when I cut down the amount I take, I am more tired during the day because my blood sugar is too low. So I stick with my prescribed amount of 2000mg a day.

Again, I have been on it for 3 years and have not found it helpful in losing weight.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    My Type II brother was on it and he had to stop taking it because it was causing severe diarrhea. He did lose weight while on it but his diabetes got worse because he got stupid advice from his doc on diet. His doc told him that it didn't matter what he ate--only that it had to be low or no-fat. He only gave him a specified number of fat grams. The glucophage did make for immediate weight loss but I believe my brother's poor diet caused his blood sugar numbers to get much worse. My brother would often sit down to a "snack" of most of a package of fat-free Snackwell cookies (not sure if they even make them now---they taste like sweet cardboard) and a couple of large glasses of skim milk. My brother is now on daily insulin injections. :frown:
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Here's a specific thread on IR and Metformin: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/818882-ir-and-metformin
  • crissygm
    crissygm Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hi. I took metformin 5 years ago for IR related to PCOS. It caused me many gastro issues but was fine other than that. I also reduced my carb intake at that time and did regular strength training. I lost 50 lbs. I had my dose lowered by a NP who didn't know what she was doing and the weight loss trickled down. After coming down with a stomach virus and going off the met I slowly over the years gained 30 pounds back from not exercising or watching my diet. I have also taken cinnamon supplements which had similar effects and helped me lose weight in the past.
  • peniculala
    peniculala Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I took it in 2008 and I felt great. I took it until I got pregnant (which wasn't supposed to be able to happen!) I haven't had a doctor who will put me back on it, but boy do I want to. I lost weight very fast and had so much energy. Until I got pregnant with twins, that is...
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Yeah, metformin definitely works for insulin resistance.

And, this will help reduce your insulin levels - which should actually help with weight loss.

A lot of people have intestinal issues as others have mentioned - in my case - this passed in about a week and never came back. Often this effect can be muted by switching to the extended release version or taking it with food.

For me - it's cheap (often free), effective and no side effects, so I'm pretty happy with it.
  • hatethegame
    hatethegame Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I have been Type I for about 20 years and I last took it about 10 years ago. At that time weight loss wasn't a concern for me. I stopped taking it because it bothered my stomach and I didn't feel like eating which isn't a good thing when your taking insulin. Anyway, I have researched the drug a bit and I don't believe that weight loss is a typical result of taking it rather, it helps with insulin absorption which in turn helps regulate glucose levels.