Neighbor smoking pot. What would you do?

Options

Replies

• Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Everybody is taking this so lightly. Why? You asked him to stop and he told you he didnt care. Her business could get shut down because some pot head *kitten* hole doesnt have respect for hard working people. He doesnt care about you, why should you care about him. call the cops. His mother obviously didnt raise him to respect people. He needs some kind of consequence.

Gah, what is wrong with you people? It doesnt matter if YOU dont think it is a danger for the children. Thats the health inspectors (or who ever) descision.

I dont think its cool to have children smelling pot at a young age. When they get older they will realize what that smell was.

Because pot heads will do anything to defend their position and many, many people fail to recognize that it is ILLEGAL. And so long as it is illegal you shouldn't be freaking doing it outside of your home.

So now a fenced-in backyard doesn't count as part of "your home"? What's the point of having a yard if it's not technically your property?
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Everybody is taking this so lightly. Why? You asked him to stop and he told you he didnt care. Her business could get shut down because some pot head *kitten* hole doesnt have respect for hard working people. He doesnt care about you, why should you care about him. call the cops. His mother obviously didnt raise him to respect people. He needs some kind of consequence.

Gah, what is wrong with you people? It doesnt matter if YOU dont think it is a danger for the children. Thats the health inspectors (or who ever) descision.

I dont think its cool to have children smelling pot at a young age. When they get older they will realize what that smell was.

Because pot heads will do anything to defend their position and many, many people fail to recognize that it is ILLEGAL. And so long as it is illegal you shouldn't be freaking doing it outside of your home.

So now a fenced-in backyard doesn't count as part of "your home"? What's the point of having a yard if it's not technically your property?

You can't murder someone in your backyard. Because it's illegal.

You can't molest a child in your backyard. Because it's illegal.

You can't beat the crap out of someone in your backyard. Because it's illegal.

It's your property but you can't do illegal **** in it. Period.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options

its not in my sate and do you even know why and when it was made illegal? might want to look that up before you get on your high horse lol
  • Ramberta
    Options
    I love how people are like: It's just POT, let them do what they want!

Except smoking pot is illegal.

So these kids are very blatantly breaking the law in their backyard.

If my neighbor was burying bodies in the backyard I'd call the police.
    If my neighbor was handing alcohol to their underaged kids in their backyard I'd call the police.

If you're stupid enough to do it in a place where others can catch you at it, you're stupid enough to have the police called on you. Period.

OP: I really hope you get this sorted out. I'd talk to the mom one last time and let her know you WILL call the police if it continues because your wife runs the risk of losing her business and that's not acceptable.

So... you'd rather call the police and risk that event tarnishing your business with an unsuccessful raid / successful bust that spreads rumors about drugs being rampant in the neighborhood and gets EVERY parent to pull their child from the daycare, rather than try to resolve the issue quietly? That seems smart.
  • Pink_Pandas
    Options
    Weed is not that big a deal i mean in some states its used as medicine. Why not mind your own business
    Because when the smell interfers with my wifes business, suddenly it becomes MY business.
    I am going to take a guess and say you didn't bother to even read the post?

No i did read it but thats bs the gov cant shut you down because some dumb kids next door are smoking pot its not meth :p

For the love of God, read more. He is not arguing whether or not pot is good or bad or whether it should be illegal or legal or even (from what I've seen -- there is a lot to go through) voiced his opinion on it used recreationally. It's all about the business his wife worked hard to get and could lose parents over something like this.

You or I may not find smoking weed to be that big of a deal but a lot of mothers do. Negative connotations are associated with pot and people who smoke it for a number of reasons. Is that right? No, its stereotyping. Either way she looses business or has to keep struggling with parents when she doesn't have to. He and his wife could be jerks about it and go straight to the police but they're looking for peaceful solutions to their BUSINESS problem. Not trying to solve the countries stupid marijuana regulations.
  • AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    Options

I think you may be trying to hard and disecting things. Maybe you should go eat something and getthose panties unwedged. I would call the police simply because he was being disrespectful. Its not hard to move to the other side of the house.
  • Ramberta
    Options

You can't murder someone in your backyard. Because it's illegal.

You can't molest a child in your backyard. Because it's illegal.

You can't beat the crap out of someone in your backyard. Because it's illegal.

It's your property but you can't do illegal **** in it. Period.

Gee thanks, I really didn't realize that all these things were illegal! I also didn't realize that smoking pot is on the same level as murder, assault, and molestation! Thank you so much for elucidating me.
  • happierandstronger
    Options
    As someone has mentioned both you and your wife have worked hard to establish this business - don't let these people take that away from you. I would suggest going to the police and reporting it. Also I'm not sure if it works this way where you are (I'm in Australia and we can do this here) but ask for a copy of the report you filed. It won't give a lot of details but it will confirm that you made the report to police and it can be used as reference. If you think you need to maybe also get some legal advice to protect your business. Good luck and I hope it is all sorted soon.
  • penrbrown
    Options

its not in my sate and do you even know why and when it was made illegal? might want to look that up before you get on your high horse lol

I really don't care why it is illegal. While it IS, you shouldn't be doing it out in the open. Why is that so hard to grasp?

I'm not on a high horse. I haven't commented on whether it's bad or not. I have simply stated that it is illegal (and yes in some states it's not but in the OP's state it IS). And while it is illegal you do not have a right to do it out in the open.
  • Ramberta
    Options

I think you may be trying to hard and disecting things. Maybe you should go eat something and getthose panties unwedged. I would call the police simply because he was being disrespectful. Its not hard to move to the other side of the house.

Please go back and read my (and others') comments about how calling the police will more than likely negatively affect the business, then come back and tell me how I'm 'dissecting' things.
    Edit: I already made a reasonable suggestion for OP as to how to resolve the situation, and he liked it. I'm sticking around for the silly debate that has spawned out of this situation. How dare I comment repeatedly on the same thread!
  • GhostPack
    GhostPack Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Aww, OP, you didn't like my bait-with-Denny's plan? :'( lol

Seriously though, all pot / smoke debating aside, I do hope that you can get this resolved quietly. It would suck to have your wife lose her business... although, the silver lining in that situation might be that she would consider establishing an out-of-home daycare instead. That way, there would be no pesky neighbors to worry about in the first place.
    I think this is a better option. To move the daycare to a out of home daycare. It's difficult controlling neighbors, and usually leads to having a bad relationship with them. Getting a 'real' business location gives you more options.
    Less desirable option - If you're in a state that does not allow cannabis yet, let the Mom know you are planning to call the cops if it continues.
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I want to know your secret: how do you isolate all the exhaust emissions from anywhere that your child is?
    You must have misread my comment. I didn't say I "isolate all the exhaust emissions from anywhere my child is". I said "I wouldn't put my children in a daycare that was next to car exhaust all day". My secret? You'll be shocked when you realize just how "secret" it is. Ready? I look into the daycare. If it is next to a plant, factory, dump, toxic waste site, or meth lab I don't leave them there. I know. Shocking!
    There are a lot of LEGAL activities that are far more dangerous to my child than the neighbours smoking pot outside.
    So, that means it's okay to knowingly expose them to "far less dangerous activities"? Why not try your best to protect your children from any and all dangerous activity if it's within your power? As a parent, that's how I roll.
  • MichelleW2013
    Options
    I agree to try the Mom, than if nothing is done, call the Police. If the State is against Pot, than your household income is what comes first.
    Pot smokers don't care who they offend, they lose that part of the brain when they increase the THC in their blood.
    Go with what is right.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options

I really don't care why it is illegal. While it IS, you shouldn't be doing it out in the open. Why is that so hard to grasp?

I'm not on a high horse. I haven't commented on whether it's bad or not. I have simply stated that it is illegal (and yes in some states it's not but in the OP's state it IS). And while it is illegal you do not have a right to do it out in the open.

really cause you sound like its wedged firmly between your cheeks it was made illegal for racist reason and not to mention it was going to hurt some senators bussinesses are those kids morons oh you bet ya no doubt they are just trying to be cool. He just needs to get some real advice and he isn't going to find it on myfitnesspal :P
  • foxro
    foxro Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Bit of no brainer really. If the activity is illegal and its impacting your business, liberties, freedoms etc., call the police
  • Pink_Pandas
    Options
    I love how people are like: It's just POT, let them do what they want!

Except smoking pot is illegal.

So these kids are very blatantly breaking the law in their backyard.

If my neighbor was burying bodies in the backyard I'd call the police.
    If my neighbor was handing alcohol to their underaged kids in their backyard I'd call the police.

If you're stupid enough to do it in a place where others can catch you at it, you're stupid enough to have the police called on you. Period.

OP: I really hope you get this sorted out. I'd talk to the mom one last time and let her know you WILL call the police if it continues because your wife runs the risk of losing her business and that's not acceptable.

So... you'd rather call the police and risk that event tarnishing your business with an unsuccessful raid / successful bust that spreads rumors about drugs being rampant in the neighborhood and gets EVERY parent to pull their child from the daycare, rather than try to resolve the issue quietly? That seems smart.

I highly doubt that one report would result in a "raid" -- he could just inquire and ask for advice from the police, or ask that they just stop by and place a warning. Its not always some huge flashy show. Most likely just one visit will give them the intimidation factor to just take it inside.
  • penrbrown
    Options
    Bit of no brainer really. If the activity is illegal and its impacting your business, liberties, freedoms etc., call the police

Exactly. Here's some common sense right here. *shaking my head*
  • BrownEyeAngel
    BrownEyeAngel Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    1st talk to the mother and if that doesn't work then call the law.
  • Midnight_Sunshine
    Midnight_Sunshine Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Count my vote towards hosing the kids down.

Yuk yuk.
  • anneerick
    anneerick Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    If I dropped off or picked up my kids to the smell of pot I would be finding a new daycare facility.

Your wife has attempted to reason with the 18 year old and now is risking her business she has worked hard to establish.

Time to phone the police.
This discussion has been closed.