Bosu!

Options
I used to go with a personal trainer years ago that would have me do exercises on a Bosu. I used to love how it strengthened my core. Started exercising again after several years of not working out so trying to strengthen my core again. Right now I am doing Turbo Jam, Rockin' Body, and using my elliptical and treadmill here at home. Went to the store with my husband and saw the Bosu. Was a tad expensive but my husband thought it would be a good workout item for us. I'm on my 3rd workout already and I can feel my abs sore each time I use it. So I know it's working. I still haven't been able to get thru the whole dvd but each day got a little easier. I'm aiming for 3 days a week. I get bored easily with my workouts so I need a variety.

For those of you who think it's too expensive, after we bought ours, my husband saw one for over 1/3 the price of a new one and whoever was selling it said it'd had only been used a couple times. Just make sure it comes with the workout dvd. The DVD has a great workout that you can do!!!

Replies

• Tina0926
    Options
    I have a trainer and he goes nuts on me with the core and the Bosu! Great addition to the workout!
  • gini65
    gini65 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    By the way, forgot to mention that the Bosu my husband saw for less was on Craig's List! So never hurts to check around before spending money on a new one! Wish we had!
  • gini65
    Options
    @ Tina, thanks! I need to head back to the gym just not convenient for me so me and my husband just seem to be making our own gym here at home! He at times is my personal trainer! ha!
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    What is the point of a bosu?
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Well, you just reminded me to upstairs and use mint to get the blood flowing. We mostly use it as a footstool in the home office.

Before you get a used one, check if the videos are available online.
  • gini65
    Options
    @ Ironsmsher - You have to balance yourself as you do the exercises so you have to concentrate on using your core muscles so therefore it's strengthens them and makes your workouts more effective. Definitely you burn a lot of calories. I can definitely feel it after I'm done with just 20 min. I'm always looking for a challenge when working out because I get bored easy with the same workouts over and over. So I've added it to alternate it into my workouts.
  • gini65
    Options
    Hey if you use it as a footstool, there's gotta be some kind of balancing so maybe it's giving you a little workout even though you don't think you are. Never know! Ha! Maybe while you're on the phone you could step up and down on it or do compressions! Or bounce! I just got it but so far I'm loving it. Someday it'll probably become a footstool for me too. ha!
  • gini65
    Options
    Found this article about the Bosu on Livestrong! http://www.livestrong.com/article/390578-does-bosu-exercise-work/
  • DostThouEven
    Options
    All quoted from leangains.com

*uckarounditis most commonly manifests itself as an intense preoccupation with crunches, curls, cable movements, belts, gloves, balance boards, Swiss Balls and Tyler Durden. Fear of squats and deadlifts is another distinguishing trait. Physical exertion is either completely lacking or misapplied (towards questionable or unproductive training practices).

11. You're "training the core"...and it involves a Swiss Ball, Bosu Ball or something else that makes you look like an idiot.

"Training the core" is a phrase that is all too often used by people who are afraid to squat. You don't need special movements for the core, because it comes with the territory if you squat, deadlift, press and chin. No one squats 2 x body weight with a weak core.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options

Few of us have the same goals as the lean gains guy.
  • DostThouEven
    Options

Few of us have the same goals as the lean gains guy.

Yeah no one 'round here is looking to be lean and muscular
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    @ Ironsmsher - You have to balance yourself as you do the exercises so you have to concentrate on using your core muscles so therefore it's strengthens them and makes your workouts more effective. Definitely you burn a lot of calories. I can definitely feel it after I'm done with just 20 min. I'm always looking for a challenge when working out because I get bored easy with the same workouts over and over. So I've added it to alternate it into my workouts.

All scientific data I've seen on working out on an unstable surface contradicts this. There is less engagement, less recruitment, less effectiveness and it involves a useless skill.
  • RobinV_Seattle
    RobinV_Seattle Posts: 191 Member
    Options

"Training the core" is a phrase that is all too often used by people who are afraid to squat. You don't need special movements for the core, because it comes with the territory if you squat, deadlift, press and chin. No one squats 2 x body weight with a weak core.

My old trainer made me squat ON the bosu, flat-side up - usually in conjunction with a kettlebell or shoulder presses. *kitten*. :grumble:
  • umer76
    umer76 Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    Bosu is best for Ab crunches just recently tried it last week and loved it
  • CoachDreesTraining
    CoachDreesTraining Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    There really is no need to use a BOSU Ball. They don't improve your body's proprioception. If anything, they make your workout less efficient, because of inhibition.