Neighbor smoking pot. What would you do?

Options

Replies

• Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I love how people are like: It's just POT, let them do what they want!

Except smoking pot is illegal.

So these kids are very blatantly breaking the law in their backyard.

If my neighbor was burying bodies in the backyard I'd call the police.
    If my neighbor was handing alcohol to their underaged kids in their backyard I'd call the police.

If you're stupid enough to do it in a place where others can catch you at it, you're stupid enough to have the police called on you. Period.

OP: I really hope you get this sorted out. I'd talk to the mom one last time and let her know you WILL call the police if it continues because your wife runs the risk of losing her business and that's not acceptable.

So... you'd rather call the police and risk that event tarnishing your business with an unsuccessful raid / successful bust that spreads rumors about drugs being rampant in the neighborhood and gets EVERY parent to pull their child from the daycare, rather than try to resolve the issue quietly? That seems smart.

I highly doubt that one report would result in a "raid" -- he could just inquire and ask for advice from the police, or ask that they just stop by and place a warning. Its not always some huge flashy show. Most likely just one visit will give them the intimidation factor to just take it inside.

I dunno, smelling it and witnessing them smoking seems like probable cause for search and seizure to me. The problem with dealing with the police is, you can't actually control their response...
  • crazytreelady
    crazytreelady Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I retake my post back.... Did not know OP asked him to stop.....

In that case, make him a chocolate pie like in the Help, after he has smoked a big one...... His munchiness will cause him to consume the pie and you can laugh while he gets e coli....:laugh: :glasses:

Seriously though, if you asked him nicely, he should have stopped... Or at least moved far far away and used something to kill the smell and smoke.
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    really cause you sound like its wedged firmly between your cheeks it was made illegal for racist reason and not to mention it was going to hurt some senators bussinesses are those kids morons oh you bet ya no doubt they are just trying to be cool. He just needs to get some real advice and he isn't going to find it on myfitnesspal :P

What??? :huh:
  • rosiereally2
    rosiereally2 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Let the police handle it.
  • rdjamis
    rdjamis Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    suggest they should smoke a cigar so the cops wont recognize the smell..! they are on the waY!:laugh:
  • Midnight_Sunshine
    Midnight_Sunshine Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    it was made illegal for racist reason and not to mention it was going to hurt some senators bussinesses
    [/quote]

Oh man... I love this website.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    it was made illegal for racist reason and not to mention it was going to hurt some senators bussinesses

Oh man... I love this website.
    [/quote]

Really? Because it just makes me weep for mankind.
  • ModoVincere
    ModoVincere Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    order a pizza delivered to his place and join the party.
  • andeehrdz
    andeehrdz Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Is the saying "snitches get stitches" only valid in California?

Realistically, you probably won't get them to stop, even with the cops involved. I don't smoke but even though it is "illegal" weed is such a grey area.

I do think the vaporizer is a fabulous win-win option. It would also give you an up-hand with the neighbors if you ever needed their help with anything, but that's just my laid-back keep everyone happy attitude :)

*Katt Williams Voice* "Weed is not a drug. It's just a PLANT! It just grows like that!" (sorry! can never help to quote Katt Williams!! :laugh: )
  • MichelleW2013
    Options
    Set up the sprinklers... But don't forget to talk to the mom. If she is a teacher, HELLO.... She needs to get a handle on this.
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options

I can't stand this saying. How can we teach children to speak up when they or their friends are in dangerous situations if they hear adults around them saying this? Ugh.
  • Pink_Pandas
    Options

If my neighbor was handing alcohol to their underaged kids in their backyard I'd call the police.

If you're stupid enough to do it in a place where others can catch you at it, you're stupid enough to have the police called on you. Period.

OP: I really hope you get this sorted out. I'd talk to the mom one last time and let her know you WILL call the police if it continues because your wife runs the risk of losing her business and that's not acceptable.

So... you'd rather call the police and risk that event tarnishing your business with an unsuccessful raid / successful bust that spreads rumors about drugs being rampant in the neighborhood and gets EVERY parent to pull their child from the daycare, rather than try to resolve the issue quietly? That seems smart.

I highly doubt that one report would result in a "raid" -- he could just inquire and ask for advice from the police, or ask that they just stop by and place a warning. Its not always some huge flashy show. Most likely just one visit will give them the intimidation factor to just take it inside.

I dunno, smelling it and witnessing them smoking seems like probable cause for search and seizure to me. The problem with dealing with the police is, you can't actually control their response...

Making an inquiry and filing an actual report are two different things. Unless they are just ridiculous all he has to do is ask what the best option would be in his case. The person he's speaking with will either give them a personal opinion (which in most cases is what happens) or some cookie-cutter out of the book response because they just don't care.

My good friend's husband is a cop, and he explained to me once that unless its a very, very small town (or just some redneck morons, in which case is where I live) the marijuana drama is usually put at the bottom of the list. They have much more important things to do than to care about than dumb teenagers. Like sleeping in their car on the side of the road, or doughnuts. Something stereotypical like that.

I guess in all reality it doesn't really matter how we see it. I hope he comes up with a solution that he and his wife are comfortable with.
  • Ramberta
    Options

Realistically, you probably won't get them to stop, even with the cops involved. I don't smoke but even though it is "illegal" weed is such a grey area.

I do think the vaporizer is a fabulous win-win option. It would also give you an up-hand with the neighbors if you ever needed their help with anything, but that's just my laid-back keep everyone happy attitude :)

*Katt Williams Voice* "Weed is not a drug. It's just a PLANT! It just grows like that!" (sorry! can never help to quote Katt Williams!! :laugh: )

As much as I'd like to support this idea, you can still smell the odor of cannabis even with a vaporizer, and it actually makes the 'green' smell even more potent. A health inspector would still be able to detect it if it was happening that close to the kids' playground.
  • cassiepv
    cassiepv Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    the state could potentially shut her down because of the unsafe environment.

Unsafe environment lol
    Are you suggesting that having litle kids breathing in pot smoke is somehow safe?

So now they're breathing it in? Come off it.
    If you can smell it, then obviously you are breathing it in.
    That is about as basic science as it gets.

Yeah, so basic you got it wrong.

^^^bam !
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    1. mind my own business...

or 2. join in.
  • andeehrdz
    Options

I can't stand this saying. How can we teach children to speak up when they or their friends are in dangerous situations if they hear adults around them saying this? Ugh.

Also, there's a difference between snitching and speaking up, you should be careful when teaching your children that.
  • Pink_Pandas
    Options
    really cause you sound like its wedged firmly between your cheeks it was made illegal for racist reason and not to mention it was going to hurt some senators bussinesses are those kids morons oh you bet ya no doubt they are just trying to be cool. He just needs to get some real advice and he isn't going to find it on myfitnesspal :P

What??? :huh:

Some of the responses I've seen make me think that maybe there is a reason pot is illegal. Somehow the intelligence of a person drops quite a bit -- then they say things that don't make sense like that. Then people just get annoyed, disturbed and angry. Who needs that? :P

A-f*%&ing-men.
  • andeehrdz
    Options

As much as I'd like to support this idea, you can still smell the odor of cannabis even with a vaporizer, and it actually makes the 'green' smell even more potent. A health inspector would still be able to detect it if it was happening that close to the kids' playground.

Aw, thank you, I didn't know that :)

Learn something new everyday. Womp for my idea tho....
  • Ramberta
    Options

Making an inquiry and filing an actual report are two different things. Unless they are just ridiculous all he has to do is ask what the best option would be in his case. The person he's speaking with will either give them a personal opinion (which in most cases is what happens) or some cookie-cutter out of the book response because they just don't care.

My good friend's husband is a cop, and he explained to me once that unless its a very, very small town (or just some redneck morons, in which case is where I live) the marijuana drama is usually put at the bottom of the list. They have much more important things to do than to care about than dumb teenagers. Like sleeping in their car on the side of the road, or doughnuts. Something stereotypical like that.

I guess in all reality it doesn't really matter how we see it. I hope he comes up with a solution that he and his wife are comfortable with.

The other issue that OP mentioned was that any consequences for the kids might blow back on the mom. Even though an inquiry would be less involved, it could still arouse suspicion for the teacher mom, especially if it's a small area or she works for a large public school. Unless she's encouraging or enabling her kid's use, it wouldn't really be fair to jeopardize her career, especially if she doesn't know about her son's behavior. The main point I've been trying to make is that with the one exception of the mom being a sh!tty parent (which could very well be the case), the best solution is the quietest one, and that means not bringing the police into it at all. But OP will make his own decision that will be best for his wife's business, and that is ultimately all he can do.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    1. mind my own business...

or 2. join in.

Umm, it is their business because it is affecting their business.

So if the state were going to shut down your source of income due to illegal activities by your neighbors you wouldn't do/say anything? Right.:laugh:
This discussion has been closed.