Paleo and Pregnant? Can I continue this?

Options
rabt6f
rabt6f Posts: 37 Member
8 days ago I switched to eating Paleo due to some minor health issues that kept coming up. I was starting to feel pretty good and this was getting easier, but thought I had the carb flu. Then yesterday I found out I was pregnant! This is so super exciting because we have been trying for a long time, had multiple miscarriages, and didn't think we could get pregnant. Now I'm not sure what to do in regards to eating. I don't want to starve my baby or cause my baby stress by a massive change in my eating habits.

What do you think? Do I continue eating strictly Paleo (knowing I will loose a few more pounds, already down 7)? or Do I go back to healthy eating, kind of, but include bread and dairy like I ate my whole life?

Replies

• merilung
    merilung Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yes! Check out the Paleo Parents blog or The Primal Parent for info on a paleo pregnancy and paleo parenting! Congrats!
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    I think you should consult your doctor and not a bunch of people on the internet.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor and see what they think. There are people who carry babies to term eating vegan or paleo, but you want to make sure you make the healthiest choices for your child. See what an expert thinks. Losing more weight doesn't sound like a good idea.

Btw, congrats! =)
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    I would make sure that, whichever way you go, you have enough calories to support the growing life. Right now, you don't need any extra, just don't eat at a deficit (set MFP to maintain and it should be close). Eat back exercise calories. Also, make sure that, whether you stick with Paleo or not, you educate yourself to have PLENTY of protein and calcium, and enough fats and carbs. The little one needs all the different vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients that come from real foods (vitamin supplements are okay, but don't do as well as the real stuff!). Honestly, I would probably go back to healthy non-Paleo, but then I'm not a big of Paleo anyway :ohwell:

And congrats on your exciting news!!