It's 9pm and I've only eaten 1361 of my 1600 goal....

Options
Hi all,

I'm trying to make sure I eat my 1600 calorie/day goal (TDEE - 20%) regardless of my exercise. I factored in 3-5 days/week exercise into my TDEE.

So, it's 9pm, I'm not all that hungry and I've only eaten 1361 of the 1600. On top of that, I got a good calorie burn from a big cardio workout this evening (500 calories), so net calories looks terrible at 861....even though I'm supposed to be ignoring that!

What would you do?

-Eat a few hundred calories this late?
- Don't make it a trend, but forget about it?
- Eat a few hundred calories more tomorrow?

Thanks!

Replies

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    Sooooooo....eat?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter + spoon = problem solved.

ETA: if you don't like seeing your net calories low, log your exercise as 1 calorie.
  • sutton8401
    sutton8401 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Yummmm... Peanut Butter does sound good :)
  • linda1243
    linda1243 Posts: 166
    Options
    my trainer would say eat before bed so your metabolism keeps working (like keeping a furnace running). But when eating this late she says eat a "lean" protein. My go-to late night snack is egg whites with spinach and a little bit of cheese.
  • JustinSLawler
    JustinSLawler Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I'm trying to make sure I eat my 1600 calorie/day goal (TDEE - 20%) regardless of my exercise. I factored in 3-5 days/week exercise into my TDEE.

So, it's 9pm, I'm not all that hungry and I've only eaten 1361 of the 1600. On top of that, I got a good calorie burn from a big cardio workout this evening (500 calories), so net calories looks terrible at 861....even though I'm supposed to be ignoring that!

What would you do?

-Eat a few hundred calories this late?
    - Don't make it a trend, but forget about it?
    - Eat a few hundred calories more tomorrow?

Thanks!

Hi lisalower,

Good work on the progress so far!

Missing a meals worth of calories (~300) won't make a large difference in the grand scheme of things, this is something I've personally found (I'm guilty of it too).A lot of people are too paranoid about their caloric intake to the point where it rules their life.
    A good little quote that's been flying around the internet is "One bad meal isn't going to make you fat, just like one good meal isn't going to make you skinny", so as long as you're keeping consistent for most days, a little slip up here and there won't hurt.

I hope that helps you out!

Justin
  • erin4455
    erin4455 Posts: 135
    Options
    If you're done, you're done. I'm in the same boat but I won't eat just for the sake of eating or for the sake of numbers. Of course I'd plan a little better for tomorrow but one day at more than 1,300 calories certainly won't have any long term detriment.
  • lisalower
    lisalower Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Off to go get something to eat lol
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    greek yogurt is one of my go-to's for this situation. And peanut butter. mmmmmm
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    peanut butter, olive oil
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite snacks is a serving of peanut butter and an apple. High protein, calorie dense, and not a ton of food. If you're just not hungry or don't want to eat this late, it's probably okay to let it go, but I wouldn't make a habit of it.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    If you're done, you're done. I'm in the same boat but I won't eat just for the sake of eating or for the sake of numbers. Of course I'd plan a little better for tomorrow but one day at more than 1,300 calories certainly won't have any long term detriment.

What if shes missing her major macros like protein and fats?
    I wouldnt take this advice.
  • lisalower
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback all
  • bbacskai
    bbacskai Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    2 glasses of chardonnay
  • simpsona5
    simpsona5 Posts: 24
    Options
    In the early days I found myself having a couple of drinks (wine or G&T) to make up the calories. However now I just let it go for that day because on other days i'm bound to go over.
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    2 glasses of chardonnay

I like your style.

But I would usually do peanut butter, greek yogurt, or hummus/guacamole with bread.
  • aquaventure
    Options
    I just ate yogurt, cantaloupe and apricots to get more calories as I was very low today. I wish i had seen the peanut butter and apple prior and the wine idea would have been great too.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem tonight. I solved it with a cup of pistachios (in shell).
  • stonel94
    stonel94 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Why aren't you eating exercise calories? TDEE-20% is 1600, not 1600-another 500 burned.

But whatever, that's less than 300 calories, eat a cookie, ice cream, edemame, veggies with a dip, a smoothie, a fancy coffee drink, a bag of chips, anything that's that number of calories, it won't be too filling at all.

but again, don't eat just to eat, if you're really not hungry, but if you are at all hungry, or you get hungry later, then eat until you're full
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I'll just leave this here...

099327.jpg
  • lisalower
    Options
    Why aren't you eating exercise calories? TDEE-20% is 1600, not 1600-another 500 burned.

I might be misunderstanding the website but I thought if you included your exercise in the TDEE, then you shouldn't also eat their value back. It's like double counting.

If I calculated my TDEE based on sedentary lifestyle, then I should definitely eat the exercise calories back.

Thanks for the tasty suggestions!