Insulin Resistence and Depression

Options
I have been researching online more and more about insulin resistence and am wondering if anyone else knows anything about this? I have a doctors appointment on Tuesday and am going to talk to my doctor about it. I am hypothyroid and had to have my thyroid removed in 2003. I lost 65 lbs while I was in Iraq but I know that is because I had to walk everywhere I went and had to consume so much water. The "Iraq" diet is a wonderful one but of course I can't do that here in the states. I currently live in Colorado but that is only for another month and then it is back to Texas until we leave for Germany in November. I am so afraid that the insulin resistence problems I am having are going to cause me to be at a block. I have low blood sugar which makes me hypoglycemic and I will be darned if I am going to become diabetic!! That just isn't happening. I don't overeat, never have. I barely pull in 700 calories of food a day, normally. My husband gets so angry at me when I don't eat because he knows that I am hurting myself. I am trying to make myself eat breakfast and lunch but it is very hard. I feel like such a failure at the things I am trying to accomplish and on top of it, they are talking about deploying my husband for the 4th time and that is causing me to be extremely depressed. As I have done research, the insulin resistence gets worse when you are stressed and depressed. Oh, will this ever get better??!! That is the exact question I ask myself everyday. I am at the point of no return, it seems like. After 11 miscarriages, I am hoping that being here on MFP will help me find the motivation it takes to make it through this journey.

Replies

• Alanna234
    Alanna234 Posts: 13
    Options
    hmm this is a strange post cos im not totally aware of thyroid probs buttt im type 1 diabetic , which means my body doesn't produce any insulin anymore (not because im over weight cos i hate it when ppl have that common misconception) But with insulin resistance ... surely that would cos you to have hyperglycemia (high blood sugar) Instead of low as your body is resisting the insulin?
    I know if my insulin wasnt working in my body correctly id end up high and very very sick (and thirsty)
    Maybe i read the post wrong but what exactly are you worried about? is it becoming diabetic or more the depression? XXX
  • proudarmywifeandmommy
    Options
    hmm this is a strange post cos im not totally aware of thyroid probs buttt im type 1 diabetic , which means my body doesn't produce any insulin anymore (not because im over weight cos i hate it when ppl have that common misconception) But with insulin resistance ... surely that would cos you to have hyperglycemia (high blood sugar) Instead of low as your body is resisting the insulin?
    I know if my insulin wasnt working in my body correctly id end up high and very very sick (and thirsty)
    Maybe i read the post wrong but what exactly are you worried about? is it becoming diabetic or more the depression? XXX

Being hypoglycemic is to have low blood sugar, not high. My blood sugar hardly ever gets over the 50's. Insulin Resistence is the body's inability to respond to and use the insulin it produces which leads to hypoglycemic attacks.

I am worried about being diabetic because hypoglycemia is a precursor to diabetes. Also, my thyroid condition hightens depression, which is even worse when my husband is gone so it seems like a never ending cycle.
  • Alanna234
    Alanna234 Posts: 13
    Options
    Being hypoglycemic is to have low blood sugar, not high. My blood sugar hardly ever gets over the 50's. Insulin Resistence is the body's inability to respond to and use the insulin it produces which leads to hypoglycemic attacks.

I am worried about being diabetic because hypoglycemia is a precursor to diabetes. Also, my thyroid condition hightens depression, which is even worse when my husband is gone so it seems like a never ending cycle.

I know what hypoglycemic is ... as i said im diabetic. Which means i can be both Hypo OR Hyperglycemic, I think alot of ppl maybe think you either have the "high" or "low" diabetes which just isnt the case. So i understand what your saying but ... well insulin is a hormone yeah? and its the hormone that changes sugar into energy .. if its not there the sugar just floats around making you hyper and really ill.... If you have TOO much insulin floating about and not enough sugar this is the opposite (obviously i dont want to sound condescending :))
    So i guess what im asking is what exactly is your body not doing with the insulin? .... because if its not breaking down your sugar you should be high? and im not sure what the opposite of that is.... does it over use your insulin?
    And as for the precursor to diabetes .. I think that is only type 2 diabetes (not that thats any better or worst) and type 2 diabetes Really Can be avoided through weightloss . but even sometimes ppl can get type 2 just due to old age and their body slowing down (not producing enough insulin as it was)
    But type 1 is just your pancreas stops producing Any ... its unlikely you kinda "catch" this ... this is usually more likely to come about in childhood or teens , although not unlikely at an older age.
    Please dont feel down *hug* im sorry to hear that times are hard and your husband is going away again... try to be positive with your goals and keep your motivation up (i see you want to lose a certain amount before he comes back) thats a great attitude. As long as your weight doesnt balloon , diabetes really shouldnt be a worry. And if it is type 2 alot of the time this is diet controlled and once you've lost the weight the diabetes follows (not possible with type 1).
    Like you said id def have a chat with your doctor about it, Its funny because last year my diabetes was very brittle and out of control (it was my own fault) but my bloods came back with underactive thyroid .... since then i have my diabetes back under Great control and .... thyroid prob has also gone, no more pills for that. My kidneys were also out of whack , but now im on top of it thats gone too. I know it can be hard but dont let the depression take hold ... it will only make you more ill and add more health problems. Sounds cliche but Healthy mind = Healthy Body
    X
  • jadeband
    jadeband Posts: 3
    Options
    Your low blood sugar is coming from not eating enough. You just need to be eating more- low blood sugar can be quite bad for you. The brain's major (essentially only) nutrient source is glucose (sugar), so it makes sense that if you are keeping yourself constantly hypoglycaemic then your brain will be starved of nutrients which may be one reason you are feeling a bit down.
    And 700 cal/day is way WAY too low for your body to be getting all the goodness that it needs in a day- remember food is our fuel and our nutrient source, not just a thing that makes us fat!

If you are getting low blood sugar without taking insulin, then you can't be diabetic. HypERglycaemia is a precursor to diabetes, not hypOglycaemia
    basically, if you are diabetic then you will be getting high blood sugar
    if you THEN take too much insulin then you will get low blood sugar

I think this is a common misconception that people have of diabetes. Not to get into too much of the science behind it but insulin is secreted by the pancreas when your blood sugar is high. Its purpose is to get the glucose out of the blood and into the cells where it is used to keep them alive.

If you don't have enough insulin being produced (as in uncontrolled diabetes), then the sugar stays in the blood and doesn't get into the cells, causing high blood sugar (hyperglycaemia)
    If you have too much insulin being produced (hard for the body to do by itself, but easy if you are getting insulin from another source- i.e. taking it as a medication) then too much of the sugar will get into the cells and you will not have enough left in the blood, causing low blood sugar (hypoglycaemia)

It sounds to me like your body is simply running out of glucose, which is to be expected on such a low calorie diet.

I know that the temptation is to lose weight as quickly as possible and not eating seems like the best way to do this, but you really need to look after yourself sweetie, and that means looking after your mind and body, giving them both what they need
  • ccgisme
    ccgisme Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Insulin resistance is not diabetes or hyper/hypo-glycemia. I have heard it referred to as pre-diabetes. It's commonly associated with metabolic syndrome or syndrome x (which appears to be related to PCOS).

So, to the original question. If you have insulin resistance, it is reversible (not a physician, just done my own reading as I have been diagnosed with metabolic syndrome) but you have to reduce your carb intake and increase your lean protein and healthy fat intake. I've seen one plan that says you should drink your weight/2 in ounces of water per day - that puts me at 125 ounces per day. :noway: I've not tried that yet and I'm not sure I want to...

I cannot speak to the thyroid involvement or your individual caloric needs. Consider something akin to South Beach or the Mediterranean diet as a basis for your eating - or just eat whole foods and you'll get closer.

Good luck! :bigsmile:
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Insulin resistance is not diabetes or hyper/hypo-glycemia. I have heard it referred to as pre-diabetes. It's commonly associated with metabolic syndrome or syndrome x (which appears to be related to PCOS).

So, to the original question. If you have insulin resistance, it is reversible (not a physician, just done my own reading as I have been diagnosed with metabolic syndrome) but you have to reduce your carb intake and increase your lean protein and healthy fat intake. I've seen one plan that says you should drink your weight/2 in ounces of water per day - that puts me at 125 ounces per day. :noway: I've not tried that yet and I'm not sure I want to...

I cannot speak to the thyroid involvement or your individual caloric needs. Consider something akin to South Beach or the Mediterranean diet as a basis for your eating - or just eat whole foods and you'll get closer.

Good luck! :bigsmile:

I agree with this post...........

I have thyroid and adrenal gland issues, was Type 2 Diabetic and have PCOS too. These conditions are all related as the endocrine system is all out of balance.

I have reversed my Diabetes back down to Insulin Resistance and I am on my way to reversing the Insulin Resistance.

Gale_C is right, reducing carb intake, upping protein and fats is the key to "resetting" your endocrine system and getting those issues under control and back in balance.

Do some research on the plan that is right for you.

Atkins
    South Beach
    Protein Power
    Primal Blue Print
    Scarsdale Diet

Just to name a few...............

If you want some meal ideas, hit me up on the PM and I will be glad to help you the best I can.

I started out on Atkins and have switched to Primal Blue Print. I love Primal Blue Print, I have nothing against Atkins (it helped to reverse the diabetes) but when I add in grains, beans and legumes I start gaining again.

Hugs to you. :flowerforyou:
  • wifeyplus6
    wifeyplus6 Posts: 28
    Options
    I have severe insulin resistance. I take Metformin for it. Both of my parents have diabetes and it runs in my family. I am hoping to lose weight and reverse my diagnosis. With that being said I would like to add that my DR. told me that with 1 parent having diabetes you have 80% chance of getting diabetes. With 2 parents it's 100%. The question is when. With good diet and healthy habits you can control when it will be: at 65 or 30. It will be my choice.

You are probably not eating enough calories. I have taken many classes through my Dr. office. And the guide line I have been given is 30-52 carb's per meal and 15 carbs per snack. Don't eat the snack if you don't have to. But if you are going over carbs on your meals, then eat the snack. Women should have 30 carbs for brain function (per meal) Men should have 40 carbs per meal for brain function. The range of 30-52 is because I'm 5'4 tall and this goes off of your height. If you go over, then your insulin will spike causing weight gain, craving and many other unhealthy symptoms. But keeping it under control, gives ME the control I need to beat it. I have actually eaten consistently under my caloric goal, but over in my carbs. and I will gain or maintain weight. But I can go over my calories (sometimes) but keep my carbs under control and I can lose weight. It's a matter or really watching the carbs.

If you get diagnosed with this. Don't despair it is possible to lose weight and be healthy. Just take some classes and educate yourself. Knowledge will only make it easier.

good luck
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I can't give any advice... but sending some virtual (((hugs)))) your way. Having one miscarriage and then dealing with fertility issues for a couple of years before getting (and staying!) pregnant was the hardest time in my life... I cannot imagine going through it 11 times. I would love to hear what your doctor has to say.... I have heard (and am starting to believe based on my own life) that there are very strong correlations between insulin resistance, depression, and the fertility issues caused by insulin resistance. I was diagnosed with insulin resistance while doing some fertility testing and then put on metformin to increase the chances of getting (and staying) pregnant. That worked for me... I'm hopeful it will work again now that I am back to taking it like I should again! I am assuming that your doctor has done an initial fertility workup, but if not (and if you are still trying to have children) I'd get a referral to a reproductive endocrinologist for that. As for the losing weight, I have heard (but unfortunately can't personally attest to yet) that metformin helps in regulating the body so that those with insulin resistance can lose weight like a "normal" person can. Then you can eat the normal minimum daily calories (1200) or more... and still lose the weight instead of gaining off of that as so many with insulin resistance seem to do. Good luck, please keep us posted on what your doctor has to say!
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I have severe insulin resistance. I take Metformin for it. Both of my parents have diabetes and it runs in my family. I am hoping to lose weight and reverse my diagnosis. With that being said I would like to add that my DR. told me that with 1 parent having diabetes you have 80% chance of getting diabetes. With 2 parents it's 100%. The question is when. With good diet and healthy habits you can control when it will be: at 65 or 30. It will be my choice.

You are probably not eating enough calories. I have taken many classes through my Dr. office. And the guide line I have been given is 30-52 carb's per meal and 15 carbs per snack. Don't eat the snack if you don't have to. But if you are going over carbs on your meals, then eat the snack. Women should have 30 carbs for brain function (per meal) Men should have 40 carbs per meal for brain function. The range of 30-52 is because I'm 5'4 tall and this goes off of your height. If you go over, then your insulin will spike causing weight gain, craving and many other unhealthy symptoms. But keeping it under control, gives ME the control I need to beat it. I have actually eaten consistently under my caloric goal, but over in my carbs. and I will gain or maintain weight. But I can go over my calories (sometimes) but keep my carbs under control and I can lose weight. It's a matter or really watching the carbs.

If you get diagnosed with this. Don't despair it is possible to lose weight and be healthy. Just take some classes and educate yourself. Knowledge will only make it easier.

good luck

Wow, there is a huge discrepancy between Dieticians where Diabetes is concerned. When I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes and PCOS I was told no more than 15 grams of carbs PER meal and was handed both the Atkins Nutritional Approach and South Beach books.

My endocrinologist and Dietician at that time were at the Streilitz Diabetes Institute in Norfolk, VA. I have since been able to reverse the Diabetes back to insulin resistance.
  • wifeyplus6
    wifeyplus6 Posts: 28
    Options
    I'm glad you were able to reverse your initial diagnosis. Good for you!! :) I just started on this a about 6 weeks ago and I have had success with keeping my carbs to 30-52 per meal and 15 per snack. I can tell that it keeps my insuin in check, it is currently working for me.

as always, check with your dr. before you make any major changes :)
  • KarenECunningham
    KarenECunningham Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I am type 2 diabetic and along with that I have an unsteady blood sugar or rather I did. I have been on my diet plan since the end of January and I have lost 26 pounds. I eat only complex carbs like brown rice, whole wheat bread, corn tortillas,limit potatoes to no more than 3 times a week and I do not eat white flour or sugar and I am on 1200 calories a day. I eat more calories if I work out hard and burn a lot of calories. I don't always eat all of my calories I burn through exercise but I eat at least half. I eat lean protein and vegetables and fruit too. If you are only eating 700 calories it would seem you are not getting enough and this could be causing unstable blood sugars. I eat almonds (I measure and count the calories) and dried apricots in between meals. I have had severe blood sugar drops and I find it is very uncomfortable and difficult to reverse for a few hours. I have found this works for me and has helped me to stabilize my blood sugar and lose weight. Good luck to you. I am sorry about all of the changes and challenges you are facing. I know how hard it is to be away from your hubby and/ or moving frequently:flowerforyou:
  • 365healthchallenge
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS and Insulin Resistance and finally saw an endocrinologist this past fall. We made some adjustments to my diet (limiting my carb intake, like you guys have already mentioned) and I'm due to go back for more blood work/tests this month to see if there have been any improvements. I've lost 21lbs so far (which I'm proud of because I slipped a lot during the holidays but now I'm back on track) but my doctor had mentioned the possibility of putting me on some kind of medication to help out, I just can't remember the name...

Anyways, good luck everyone. This is just another challenge we have to work to overcome :)