Weigh Meat Before of After Cooking?

Options
I made hamburgers on the grill tonight. Prior to cooking each patty was 6 ounces. After they came off the grill each weighed 4.25 ounces. Which weight do I log into MFP foods? There is a significant difference in the amount of calories. My common sense would say weigh after since much of the fat drips into the grill.

Replies

• bambi5014
    bambi5014 Posts: 79
    Options
    That is an excellent question, but I would have to agree that common sense says to log whatever it weighs AFTER it is cooked, since that is the amount that is going into your body anyway. I'm curious to see what others respond with on this question. Good luck!
  • cassandra1220
    cassandra1220 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    It depends. They usually have a choice for "raw" or "cooked" for items like hamburger and other meats. Hope this helps.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    If you know the weight after cooking, I would go with that.

I usually log in raw meat because I don't have a food scale and I can guess on the raw weight better than the cooked based off of the package size.
  • breakingthepath
    Options
    I log raw meat because it's easier to take the grocery store's word that it's a one pound chub of ground beef than it is to scoop the little bits of meat out of a soup to weigh :)
  • Paul76
    Paul76 Posts: 158
    Options
    Great question. I use a scale but weigh my food after cooking. Hopefully that's not cheating!
  • spikess
    spikess Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    i weigh after cooking, i hope that's right!
  • iwillweighlessoneday
    iwillweighlessoneday Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I also weigh after cooking for burgers and such. That's what I was instructed to do at a Weight Watchers meeting once.
  • canstey
    canstey Posts: 118
    Options
    What I would like to know is that if you use the raw meat numbers and then you cook it, is the nutrition the same? Basically is the nutrition for raw meat as if you ate the raw meat or the nutrition of the 1lb of raw meat after you cook it and it is reduced to something lower than 1lb?

I have always assumed that it was the nutritional information after cooking so my 4 oz burger (weight before cooking) would be what the package said 4 oz were even though my burger has been reduced to 3.2 oz. Maybe that is wrong.