Anyone with a physical challenge?

Options
I have arthritis, and it does limit my mobility some due to the pain I experience, although it is mostly controlled. I'm looking for people who have similar challenges but are looking to overcome them and still get fit so we can support each other.

Replies

• spruitt417
    spruitt417 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Hi! I also have arthritis & fibromyalgia. About 1 1/2 yrs ago I had to start walking with the aid of a cane. Right now my chosen method of exercise is a stationary bike. Up until the beginning of this year I used my condition as an excuse not to exercise.....now I use it as my reason to exercise. My goal is to no longer need the cane to walk. It would be nice to have the support of somone who understands that the pain never goes away, it's just that some days are good & some are bad.
  • izoom3
    izoom3 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Yup. Arthritis in knees. Really stinks. Limits what I can do. But I kept trying things, slowly, until I found something I can do and enjoy doing that doesnt hurt. Now, occasionally i do hurt but not all the time. Im a much more happy camper than I used to be.
  • oh_em_gee
    oh_em_gee Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Hi! I also have arthritis & fibromyalgia. About 1 1/2 yrs ago I had to start walking with the aid of a cane. Right now my chosen method of exercise is a stationary bike. Up until the beginning of this year I used my condition as an excuse not to exercise.....now I use it as my reason to exercise. My goal is to no longer need the cane to walk. It would be nice to have the support of somone who understands that the pain never goes away, it's just that some days are good & some are bad.

Mine became my motivation too. Less weight would mean less stress on my joints, and I'm sure it would make my foot feel better not to have to carry 200+ pounds
  • liftingcoach
    liftingcoach Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Severly Arthritic knees here!!! Need bilateral knee replacement surgery, but Dr. won't do it until I lose about 100#. In addition, I have bulging disc in my back which can make me almost crippled at sometimes. I cannot run, walk, or do any other leg activities. I can ride a bike, but I only do it when i have someone ride with me, as i am concerned about what happens if I have a bike problem and have to walk a distance to get help! I swim a lot when the weather here permits, and I lift weights almost daily. I have tuned my workout to not put any kind of stress on my back or on my knees, and use a lot of cable work, seated, work,and supine work. I'm hoping to lose the weight to qualify for the surgery to regain my mobility! its basically from a lifetime of activity being overweight!!
  • sed1217
    sed1217 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I have MS, which thankfully has not limited me physically at this point, but does mean that I have to be careful not to overdo activity and need to take care of myself well. I used to think that you really needed to hammer yourself at the gym to see results, but the walking workouts I've been doing as of late are actually doing more for me than my killer workouts from before, mostly because I enjoy them and can do them every day. I lift reasonable amounts of weight and walk plus eat a healthy diet and I feel great!

I am trying to lose weight to take stress off of my body as well. Because my MS tends to manifest as weakness at different points in my body, it's important to me to get as fit and light as is healthy for me.
  • karris43
    karris43 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Herniated disc in back for me. This initially led to drop foot and knee problems and inevitable weight gain.

I've managed to walk some good distances on a treadmill and I run as much as I can manage. I adapt all exercise to take account of my back, I know my limits. For example, I have been doing the 30 day shred and substituting the jumping jacks (high impact) for marching on the spot. Also, some of the floor exercises I have to skip.

This way I'm doing what I can to help myself be active whilst realizing my limits. I feel very lucky as I have gone from hardly being able to walk to this level of activity in two years.

Good luck!
  • Cinnabon64
    Options
    I have Fibromyalgia and Chronic Myofascial Pain Syndrome.I am 48, and so far have lost 15 lbs using MFP. I started at 275 lbs. Up until 5 weeks ago I got no exercise. I made a drastic change in my diet and started walking on the treadmill. I walk Monday-Friday. I started off walking for 15-20 min, at about 1.7 mph. I have to be so careful. I am now walking 30 minutes, 15 @2.2 and 15@2.3mph. My most painful areas are my upper back, shoulders and neck. I am scared to anything else in as I don't want to hurt myself and set myself back. My days mostly don't start till noon as my sleep really sucks. I'm have trouble getting my calories in since I don't eat breakfast. I don't know if you can see my food journal but if some one could tell me if I am doing something wrong
    I would ever be so greatfull!
  • Bownzi
    Bownzi Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Yes... I lost all muscle in my left side because of a pinched nerve in my neck. So I am rebuilding my life. I don't have a lot of pain just no ability to work my left arm. I am making progress keeping it going while working out but it's hard....and I feel so handicapped...but with determination I know I will get back my life..
  • Tennessee2019
    Tennessee2019 Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Had arch reconstruction surgery (due to an extra bone in my foot that shredded the tendon that wraps around my arch) on my right foot in 2011. Followed by weeks of rest & months of physical therapy. I now have a 77mm screw in my foot that goes from my heel to about the middle of my foot that still bothers me at times.
  • nicoled6842
    Options
    I have a long term/possibly permanent knee injury. It limits my walking/excersise, basically anything involving my leg as it makes my pain far worse, and I already have a lot of issues with the pain. Although I recently found a cardio in bed work out. I haven't tried it yet, but it's nice to find new things that I can still do :)
  • FitBlackChick
    FitBlackChick Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Not sure this counts, but I have had serious abdominal issues which have led to a major surgery. I have to real careful with the types of workouts I do which can be quite frustrating
  • swashburn3
    swashburn3 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Does weighing 340 pounds count as a physical challenge?
  • MelissaSel
    MelissaSel Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Four years ago I tore my ACL... didn't have insurance so no surgery. Six months later I fell and tore the meniscus in the same knee (the most painful thing I've ever experienced). Again, no insurance, no surgery. So I've been puttering along, and now my "good" knee is worse than my injured knee, due to compensating. I am limited on how much walking I can do. I can not bike because my knees lock and pop with each pedal. Currently my mode of exercise is water exercises... as long as I can walk in to the pool... I can't bend my knees enough to use a ladder to get out of a pool.
  • Tyramical
    Options
    I have Multiple Sclerosis and walk with a cane. My paii is chronic, however working out somewhat relieves it. I was once wheelchair bound and now that I am more mobile, my goal is to lose weight and to increase mobility and ability. I have to be careful with certain movements as to not exacerbate pain or fall down due to poor balance and coordination but hopefully one day I can take part in aerobics once again!
  • ropermom
    ropermom Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    arthritis in feet=no jogging or running anymore. Instead I jog on a personal trampoline and do a recumbent exercise bike. These are done on alternate days and preceded by calisthenics
  • imani533
    imani533 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have arthritic knees and I am oxygen dependent. There are things I can do with the O2 and things that I can't. I would love to try Zuumba but I know that's not possible at this. But, one day........
  • UnicornRides
    Options
    Extra bone in feet (hurts like hell after an hour or two being on them continously), arthritis in knees, and I have some spine curvature.. I don't know if A-Fib and Mitro Valve (heart conditions) count as physical.. I also tore my lumbar muscle from working (it's healed) but it gets sore if I do any back related workouts (what's worse is that standing helps this lumbar condition.. but makes my other problems act up.)

If I lose weight, I hope that means less pain and pressure on these vital points.

..my parents did not breed well.
  • perkypolly
    perkypolly Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have arthritis in my ankles ,knees ,hips and most all joints. also suffer chronic back pain collapsed discs at epidural point, also chronic fatigue syndrome, along with other medical issues. I have problems with mobility using a cane and cant walk very far. but the main problem is the fatigue its hard to be motivated when feeling so tired. I joined this site sometime last year, but didn't use it, but 4 weeks ago I decided I really needed to do something. I now try and push myself to do at least one thing more per day it may only be walking upstairs one more time or try and walk to the shop on the corner, its only a small step but its more then I was doing.
  • gdedeaux
    gdedeaux Posts: 5
    Options
    I have been disabled since birth. The doctors says that I have Cerebellar Atrophy. It affects the part of my brain that controls my balance, coordination, and fine motor skills. I walk with a cane because my balance is messed up. I have scoliosis, severe nerve damage in my legs, and Raynauds Syndrome in both my feet and my legs. A doctor in Texas told me what I had, even though he didn't officially diagnose it. I live by one philosophy in life, and that philosophy is to never give up. I'm probably going to be like that for the rest of my life, and its all good, but I know that God has a plan for us all!!!!
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I had surgery for a herniated disc, and last year, I injured my ankle doing an exercise that I suspected beforehand was stupid. Still recovering. I developed bursitis or something in one of my shoulders from squash (I think), and one of my biceps is less developed than the other.