Weight training: Need some help getting started!

I've been doing pretty well on MFP so far. I log my calories and my exercise, which currently consists of karate class 3-5 times per week. I've lost 28# but would still like to lose about 40. My issue is that I'm not really seeing much of a change in my body thus far. I really want to lose some inches. We are going to a wedding in 5 weeks (In Vegas!) and I'd love to see a more significant change by then! I think this is where weight training comes in!

I'm planning to do this at home, not at a gym. We have quite a variety of dumbbells and free weights, along with a basic weight bench, so I can some leg exercises.

Here's my issue. What do I do? I literally feel like in order to actually get started, I need someone to hand me a workout regiment and say "Here, do THIS". What exercises? How many reps? How much weight? How many times per week? How should I adjust my food intake on weight training days?

I plan on continuing going to karate class at least 3 times a week. Usually I go at least 4. It's a great cardio workout, plus I just love going,

Help, please!

BTW, I'm female. :)

Replies

• jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Read either of these books and follow their program:

New Rules of Lifting for Women

Starting Strength
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feY6vi6ORXo

I like this variation of stronglifts - If I were starting lifting all over I would do stronglifts, but the problem is I think it needs a bit more assistance work which is what this guy goes over. Its basically stronglifts with some assistance work as well.

being a female doesn't matter - dont be scared to train like a guy, you will love the results!
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feY6vi6ORXo

I like this variation of stronglifts - If I were starting lifting all over I would do stronglifts, but the problem is I think it needs a bit more assistance work which is what this guy goes over. Its basically stronglifts with some assistance work as well.

being a female doesn't matter - dont be scared to train like a guy, you will love the results!

I had a suspicion this was going to be Jason's 5x5, and it turns out I was right
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    posts above me are better but just a quicky: High reps-less weight-tone...low reps-more weight-muscle mass
  • fancycupcake
    fancycupcake Posts: 78 Member
    This is the article that got me to do weight-lifting, and that actually breaks it down and helps you understand it. I felt that other websites were created for those who already knew what they were doing, and people dumped me into them and I was clueless, so I stayed away. Then someone linked me to this website and it's better than anything I've ever come across!! There are so many articles that break down everything imaginable (I'm still reading through and learning every day :D)

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/02/15/how-to-build-your-own-workout-routine/
  • jltotaro
    jltotaro Posts: 23
    Thank you all for your replies. I have ordered one of the books mentioned and I will check out the videos and articles as well.