Need help with starting to deadlift

Options
Hey guys! I've been doing a free-weights lifting routine for almost three weeks now, and the only thing I'm struggling with are deadlifts. I have good form with presses, squats, and rows, but I go to do a deadlift and am totally lost!

Our gym requires the use of bumper plates with the barbell when doing deadlifts, but with the bumper plates on (they are 45 pounds each) there is NO way I can lift it. There is a rack of smaller, what I'm calling barbells, but am not really sure if that's what they are....they're like half the length of an olympic barbell, and essentially look like stretched out dumbbells. They come from 20lbs - 60lbs, in 5lb increments. I use these for my shoulder presses and bent-over rows and they work great.

I've used them twice for deadlifts...Once doing 'regular' DLs, with what was probably horrible form, and once, just the other day, doing straight-leg DLs. The problem with these is that they are so little I can't place them on the ground after each rep without rounding my back. Also, I had no idea where to start weight-wise, so I used a 35 (what I used for my shoulder presses) and felt pathetic. I didn't really feel the burn at the time, they seemed way too easy, and I hear that DL weights should be really high (not starting out, of course, but should it be that LOW starting out?) My hamstrings are screaming after the straight-legs, so I guess it did something.

My question is, are these the right kind of bars I should use to deadlift? Is my weight too low? Should I be putting the bar on the floor after each rep, or can I hold it above the ground a few inches and hold for a few seconds before standing up again? I want to incorporate deadlifts more than anything right now, but want to be sure that I'm using the right equipment and the right weight. I'll have to study up on technique and have my lifting partner check me out next time I do it!

Thanks in advance :)

Oh, and if this makes a difference, I'm female, 22, 5'2", and 170lbs.

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    a) don't they have 10 lb bumpers?
    b) http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ:The_Lifts#The_Deadlift (better yet, get the book)
  • SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Double check or ask someone if they have different weights for the bumpers, my gym has 45 lb, 25 lb, 15 lb, and 10 lb. They look the same size but they have varying widths, perhaps you overlooked them.
  • fancycupcake
    fancycupcake Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    b) http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ:The_Lifts#The_Deadlift (better yet, get the book)

The only ones I have seen are 45 pounds....I've looked a bit but haven't asked. Next time I go I will ask before even entering the weight room :)

Thanks for the link - looks like, yes, I do need to put it down between each rep :)
  • halleymw
    halleymw Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Another option is to place weights on the floor beneath the ends of the barbells to get it up to the proper height.

Mike
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options

The only ones I have seen are 45 pounds....I've looked a bit but haven't asked. Next time I go I will ask before even entering the weight room :)

Thanks for the link - looks like, yes, I do need to put it down between each rep :)

When I'm doing lighter 'warm-up' reps I don't touch the bar to the ground between reps.

However when I'm working heavy, I either tap the group with the weight, or for really heavy reps, I put it down completely.
  • fancycupcake
    fancycupcake Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    If I can't find lighter bumper plates the weight-stacking might have to be an option! I generally go late at night so no one will be mad that I'm using them lol Thanks :)