lower carbs - meal ideas

Options
Hi

Sorry if this is a question which has been done to death, but I need direction!

I am trying to limit the amount of carbs to 25% daily ideally.

As being more aware of what I am fuelling my body with (quality rather than quantity) is a bit different, and I am a borderline "fussy eater" I really need ideas on what I can eat/how to make it a meal to keep myself on track and not succumb to convenience.

I work fulltime and teach swimming once a week for 5 hours. I also have a 2 year old son. My partner is a “habits” person, and as he prepares most of the evening meals Monday – Friday, I need then as simple as possible!

Today I have pre-entered my lunch so it was done (and to help me stay on track) and now I am stuck for a meal for this evening. I was going to have chicken and a mini pitta with lettuce, but this will put me over on carbs.

I know it is probably asking a lot – but I need the meals so I only have to make small changes to make them suitable for a growing toddler (I would have put some boiled potato on his plate so he ate the same with added carbs).

My partner will eat just about anything so I don’t need to worry about him!

Any “easy” suggestions which can either be prepared the night before (and used for lunch as have facilities for food storage and re-heating at the office) or can be prepared in under 30 minutes if eating the same day – I would be really grateful

:happy:

Replies

• keepingm0tivated
    Options
    Any place you would eat bread use lettuce. 0.o
  • nataliescalories
    nataliescalories Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I have been roasting big piles of veggies and having those as sides (instead of polenta or rice or something higher in carbs). You can do it in advance and it is filling. I like to do a ton of broccoli and cauliflower, some olive oil (usually a tablespoon per person), an ounce of cheese per person (I'm using jack right now), paprika, pepper, and salt. I toss that in a bowl, spread it on a baking sheet, and bake at 425 for 15 minutes. I've done two trays at once and it works just fine.

I think if you just try to up your veggies, you'll find that you don't want and don't have the space for the extra carbs.

You can also make a cauliflower mash or a zucchini mousse (I like to do it with cream cheese). Those are just my favorites right now (I'm completely obsessed with broccoli at the moment).