Do Squats and lunges increase butt size????

Options
Hi,

I recently came across the squat challenge which included 30 days of squat (30 to 250 squats). Some MFP members mentioned there, that squats increases the butt size. I am looking for reducing weight. I have a huge lower body (Hips - 48"). I do squats (30*3 or 20*3) twice or thrice a week. I want to know that do squats and lunges increase ones butt size? I know they tone your butt but do they help reduce the fat from the region?

Replies

• GingerBiscuit_19
    GingerBiscuit_19 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I dont know whether it has made my butt bigger, but it certainly has toned it and I have a more rounded shape. But the main difference I have noticed is my inner thighs! I have massive thighs (which I love by the way, just want them toned) but I had bit that just flapped about. That is getting smaller and smaller. I do prison squats for a better burn. But no, I cant imagine it makes your butt wider or bigger. It will change shape, which is probably why people perceive it as bigger because its unfamiliar.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    i hope so!
    my butt is sooo tiny!
    but yeah it might help you lose fat/build muscle but it depends on your body type
  • MadamUnique
    MadamUnique Posts: 173
    Options
    i hope so!
    my butt is sooo tiny!
    but yeah it might help you lose fat/build muscle but it depends on your body type

I love this, lol! :D
  • rotill
    rotill Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    It depends on the butt!

If you are skinny with no muscles, working out will add bulk. If you are fat, you may still detect the growth of your muscle, but that muscle will make it easier for you to lose weight in general, so any added butt size from muscle will disappear once you have lost enough. Also, muscle takes less space than fat, so even if you don't lose weight, the conversion will eventually be in favour of a slimmer body.
  • jossaloss
    Options
    I've been doing squats, in kettlebell classes and in the gym with dumbells. I think the genral idea is that as you are working the largest muscle group in your body then you are burning more calories, leading to fat loss all over your body. So you should lose fat from your butt but it will become firmer as the muscle mass increases. My thighs are noticeably firmer and slimmer since doing squats
  • Evil333
    Evil333 Posts: 2
    Options
    Squats generally tone the butt and legs not increase the size with women although they do say with men and heavy weights it can increase the size of the legs (hamstrings/quads). I've done squats for years and it just keeps the tone for me. Body weight only squats with that many reps should just tone not bulk x
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    They will make it firmer & give it some lift. If you're eating a deficit, nothing is going to get bigger. Everything should do quite the opposite, because you can't gain muscle on a deficit. Your biggest part will unfortunately be the last place to go. And you can't spot reduce. So you will just lose from wherever your body feels like it.
  • Tatiyanya
    Tatiyanya Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I hope it makes the butt pop out more.
    I used to have big ole butt, now i got apple shaped butt that compared with waist look good, but from the profile....it seems somewhat flat. Want butt that sticks out ;(
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    Squats generally tone the butt and legs not increase the size with women although they do say with men and heavy weights it can increase the size of the legs (hamstrings/quads). I've done squats for years and it just keeps the tone for me. Body weight only squats with that many reps should just tone not bulk x

Squats can increase muscle on women too, but you have to be eating enough for this to happen.
  • Zombriana
    Zombriana Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    They made mine more round. I've noticed actual growth at the top of my butt, where it and my lower back meet, giving my bum a nice C shape. :D
    If you're actually wanting to GROW your butt, then you'd have to do some heavy weighted squats and all the proper eating that goes with muscle growth.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Squats and other glute exercises will strengthen your glutes. If you're eating to lose weight, you are not gonna get bigger. Your butt might get rounder and will appear "lifted". Those are good things, in my opinion!
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    It will gain definition.

It won't get bigger unless you're eating at a calorie surplus.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    They make my butt awesome.
  • SquidgySquidge
    SquidgySquidge Posts: 239 Member
    Options

I read this as 'I hope it makes the butt poop out more'

:noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway:

I think I need another coffee...
  • Butterflyblue_
    Butterflyblue_ Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Toned yes.

Lifted yes

So you bum may appear rounder but firmer

They are the best for legs and butt. Also add in deadlifts...... HELLO nice *kitten*
  • Tatiyanya
    Tatiyanya Posts: 255 Member
    Options

I read this as 'I hope it makes the butt poop out more'

:noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway:

I think I need another coffee...

The moment i posted it I thought "heh, you said poop while posting about bumm, heh" but thought noone will notice that. In my case tho its uncurable immaturity rather than lack of caffeine
  • 1KiwiChick
    1KiwiChick Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Huge hip size?? my hips when i started were 58 " bum 59" and waist 47.5" now after 18mths the last 13 mths working out at the gym with lots of squats, lunges etc my measurements are,hips 42.5"waist 39.5 " and bum 42" all looked a whole heap better , toned and shapely :)
  • Shalini_15
    Shalini_15 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Huge hip size?? my hips when i started were 58 " bum 59" and waist 47.5" now after 18mths the last 13 mths working out at the gym with lots of squats, lunges etc my measurements are,hips 42.5"waist 39.5 " and bum 42" all looked a whole heap better , toned and shapely :)

Thats awesome transformation!!! You must be super proud of yourself..
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Are you eating at a calorie surplus and progressively upping volume? That's the only way you will significantly increase muscle mass of the glutes. And eating at a deficit is all that's needed to reduce fat mass-but weight training will help retain, relatively speaking, lean body mass assuming you are consuming enough calories and protein.
  • bonita29210
    Options
    My hip measurement were 44 inches, after doing squats everyday for 2 weeks, my hips have increased to 45 1/2 inches. The goal was to not get a bigger butt, but instead lose inches! I'm at a lost....uuuggghh...