Running: Why can't I do it?!

Options
Hi everyone!

I like to consider myself a fit person. I'm 5'7''ish 145 lbs. I've exercised regularly my whole life. I'm in round 2 of P90X, I love working out! Yet for some reason, I have never been a good runner. This is a HUGE problem considering that I work in the military (they seem to think running is the end all and be all of life). We run almost every morning and I'm always at the back of the group, hating it, and feeling like I'm the most unfit person in the world. I start to get out of breath and my heart rate gets super high super fast. I've tried concentrating on breathing 4 in, 5 out, 3 in, 4 out, etc. I've tried both lengthening my stride, shortening my stride. I've tried running on my own at whatever pace I can keep for a long period (which is incredibly slow I might add) and gradually increasing it, interval training. Blah blah blah.

I have no trouble doing an advanced spin class, an hour of plyometrics, I've done Shaun T's INSANITY workouts...but I can't run...

What am I doing wrong?!

Help!!!

Replies

• kimberly428
    kimberly428 Posts: 237
    Options
    Ha, I was in the Army and HATED to run...I was not to bad at it but I just couldn't stand it.
    Maybe its your body frame?
  • brujeria48
    brujeria48 Posts: 25
    Options
    I can relate to you! I consider myself pretty fit, I lift four to five times a week and have no problem doing any other sort of cardio. I love plyometrics, kickboxing and strength and agility training. Running has always been my nemesis. The times I've attempted to condition myself, I've ended up with sore knees, aching shins and a broken spirit.

I recently joined a boot camp program to try and push myself to train in a way that I would not accomplish on my own. I don't mind sprinting, but running for anything more than a minute taxes me in a way that makes me feel completely unfit. While I run laps (obviously not literally) around my peers in my boot camp, I consistently find myself huffing and puffing at the very back of the group for our warm up run every morning at five thirty and can't seem to pace myself properly. I am quite discouraged.... like you, I've tried everything imaginable in an attempt to master a mere twenty minute run... or even jog, without almost falling out onto the floor. I'm not sure if it's that I just really dislike running or if there is a physical reason as to why I can't seem to make it happen.
  • mirgss
    mirgss Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Running isn't for everyone. But, if you really want to try to make a go of it, you could try running with an mp3 player. I use one every time I run. Helps me relax and focus my mind away from the pain my body is going through.

The best thing (I think) is to start out slow - when I started running, I probably could have walked faster than my jog. The longer I did it, a faster pace came more naturally to me. I used to have a lot of problems with breathing also - I would tend to hyperventilate. Just remember - it's okay to breathe hard, but make sure you are filling your lungs ALL the way up and emptying them ALL the way with each breath. I found that I didn't have any success timing my breathing to my steps, or the music. It just made things more difficult for me. Once I was able to sort of divorce myself from my body, the breathing came more naturally as well. Although it's still a bit difficult when I get near the end of a run :)

Good luck to you - if you are really committed to running, I'm sure you can do it! But like I said, it's okay if running isn't for you. :)
  • mirgss
    mirgss Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I consistently find myself huffing and puffing at the very back of the group for our warm up run every morning at five thirty and can't seem to pace myself properly.

Pacing is hard! I always find myself running too fast; I have to consciously slow myself down. The treadmill helps with that in the short run, but in the long run I think it makes it more difficult because I forget what a "real" pace feels like.
  • calabrdm
    calabrdm Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I can kickbox, P90x and do insanity. I run for a mile... shin splints and arches killing me .... Crazy!
  • PattiL1
    PattiL1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Don't feel bad I found out at a young age that I was a short distance runner and my brother was a long distance runner. Now I walk. And I have done The Breast Cancer 3 Day (60 Miles in 3 Days). I know my brother couldn't do that running. lol. We are all different and it is okay not to be able to run. Enjoy being unique. Hope this helps alittle.
  • MissCaraElaine
    MissCaraElaine Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    One of your biggest hurdles in this is you hate it, so your focus tends to be on just getting though the routine. You then get discouraged when you struggle through it. Obviously you have great endurance, so it is possible.

You need a distraction so you are not so focused on the run itself. I can only get through a long run (3 miles) if I have someone to talk to. An mp3 is also a big help.
  • neglet
    neglet Posts: 20
    Options
    Have you ever been evaluated for asthma? Some forms (like what I have) are induced by exercise, and running is the hardest exercise for me. I've never had any stamina when I run, even though I've been training in tae kwon do for several years now and have increased my overall fitness level. Any kind of running was sure to bring on breathing trouble, even if I took my inhaler medication beforehand.

A few months ago I decided I was going to give running a real try, though. I tried the Couch to 5k program (http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml) beginning in December, and in April I ran my first 5k race. I wasn't blazing fast, but I ran the entire way at a steady pace, something I couldn't do a few months beforehand. I've noticed it increased my stamina for TKD training as well.

I still struggle running sometimes, because I have to pace myself and not go out too fast. A good runner's watch can help with that, or you can download podcasts to help keep you on a set pace. Still, if this asthmatic middle-aged lady can learn to run, I think anybody can.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Check out this blog of an acquaintance of mine. It might help a lot.

http://roderickrussell.com/running/2009/09/the-experiment/
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    I'd have to say its all in your head probably. I think about 90% of running is mental. If you think you're struggling, then your body will react in a defense mechanism and increase oxygen usage and heart rate to compensate. Once this happens, you're going to burn out too quickly. Try to relax during a run, talk to a person near you, hum a song in your head, just blank out, anything but think about how much you hate it or are struggling.

You will be amazed at the difference. Once I got this down running became very enjoyable.
  • cymills
    cymills Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    You can do it ! No one can run a marathion , 1/2 marathon or three miles non stop right off the get go! relax and learn how to run. "The Galloway method" if a great way to introduce a running regime. Start off walking...then ro a run /walk interval..then ( if you want) run non stop. i am not sure "why' you are so focused on running. As stated it is not for all. Think about why , and if, you really want to do this. It is not for every one and you need to "learn' technique first. I have been doing run/walk technique for 4years + now , and have had great experiences. Advice is nice , but really focus on what you want and why? Good Luck.
  • kscarlett24
    kscarlett24 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have never been a runner either, but recently decided I wanted to give it a try. I found a website www.coolrunning.com which has a great training guide "couch to 5k in 9 weeks". Also, if you have iTunes, there is a podcast by Robert Ullery, he has one for every week and he puts music with the vocal cues on when to run, walk, etc. It is basically interval training, where you run and walk 3 times a week, and each week the running increases a little. I am on week 2, and I am doing OK. i think the key is starting slow, making sure you don't go to fast at first, and make sure you rest in between each run. I have never been able to run more than a minute before I am heaving and feel like I am going to pass out, but I have been able to do this. The website is cool as well, with lots of articles and tips. Hope that helps.
  • Skagirl
    Skagirl Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    This is probably a given, but make sure you have a good pair of running shoes. I have tried running in the past and hated it. Bought a pair of Asics and my mp3 player and sort-of like it now (it's not my workout of choice but it's much better). I don't get shin splints and I'm not nearly as sore as before. I ran my first 5K this spring and was slow but I finished in the top half (38:11). My trouble is after a 5K my groin and lower belly hurt. The shoes didn't fix that one. lol

Good luck!
  • Dom_m
    Dom_m Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    You might not be warmed up properly. Seriously. I run a lot - earlier this year I was running about 30-40 miles / week (at the moment I'm recovering from an ultra-marathon and can only run about 4 miles before my knee hurts). But every single time, the first 2km (~1.5miles) is the hardest. It takes me at least 10 minutes of running uncomfortably before I get into my groove. After that, I can run all day (well the longest I've run is about 15 hours, but whatever). It still takes a long time to get into it. If I were with a group and they all took off, I'd be breathing hard to keep up with them for the first while.

Another thing I used to have was really tight achilles heels. You may need to stretch the running muscles more. That'd be glutes, hamstrings, calves, achilies.

I really became a runner because when I lived in rural China, I just loved running by the rice paddies between the lakes and mountains. If you run in a place that lets you slip into your zen, it can become a fantastic feeling. Good luck with it!
  • Dumspiro
    Dumspiro Posts: 28
    Options
    Wow thanks for all the responses guys! I went for a run last night. I ran 4.2km, it took me 34 minutes but my goal for the night was just to run continuously. Tomorrow I plan to do the same route and shave some time off. Thanks for all your advice! So many awesome ideas to try out! Thank thanks thanks!