Coconut oil... blows the macros

Options
andycet
andycet Posts: 55 Member
I started adding in coconut oil to my diary for tracking and it blows my macros way out.

1 Tablespoon is about what I use a day (1 for eggs and 1 for meat at night) and that is straight off 14g of fat. Add on Eggs and yoghurt that are other things for protein and already above your daily fat percentages!

Am I missing something or should I not count the oil fats, as they are said to break down, just the calories?

Replies

• bigjoe68
    bigjoe68 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You would need to count it, you could remove the yolk from one of your eggs and that would free up 4-5 grams of fat.
  • tobejune
    tobejune Posts: 177
    Options
    Only looked back a few days in your diary but it seems like you're consistent;y under on your protein (which is set at 200 which seems a bit high? I dunno though, everyone has their own thing...) but you could just change up your macro goals a bit, instead of being over on fat and under on protein, you'd be hitting both. Sure, doesn't change anything but you won't be seeing all that red each day.
  • dovetail22uk
    dovetail22uk Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    You would need to count it, you could remove the yolk from one of your eggs and that would free up 4-5 grams of fat.

Remove a yolk from an egg?? The very suggestion!:sad:
  • rainghirl
    rainghirl Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    How about poaching the eggs instead of frying them? That'll take some fat out.

You can also use less of the fat, meat has its own fat content so you don't need much really. I use olive oil and started using about half a tablespoon for cooking instead of a full one - it seems to work okay with veggies.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    How have you got your macros set?
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    You definitely need to count your oils! MFP has a default setting that is very low for fats. Depending on what sort of a diet you eat, you may want to adjust that.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    your fat goal is very low
    try to get minimum of 0.35 g / lbs of body weight
  • flynnfinn
    flynnfinn Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    this depends on how you have your macros set up.

i follow a ketogenic diet while intermittent fasting. so my macros are 65fat/15carbs/20protein. my diet consists of copious amounts of coconut butter, nuts and peanut butter, full fat dairy, and fatty cuts of meat. i get my carbs from green leafy vegetables, cauliflower, berries and an occassional slice of whole grain protein bread. my workouts are unaffected by this way of eating. in fact they have improved. i'm a distance runner and i've been able to push my distances further consuming less carbs and more fat.

saturated fat (the type of fat found in coconut oil) gets such a bad rap these days...it's really unfortunate. me personally, i thrive off of a high fat diet. it's just what works for me.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I eat coconut oil too. I choose to ignore it and I see a lot of red. But that's just me. I also eat whole eggs. Of the two I'm more suspicious of the egg.
  • andycet
    Options
    Thats for the quotes.

I used the road map that set my TDEE with 20% deficiency at just over 2050 calories. I'm doing a p90X/insanity hybrid and they said to set macros to 50% Protein/30% Carbs and 20%/Fat. As I'm doing more cardio I set it to 40%/40%/20% which is settings I have for my goals in MFP.

I do mix up how I cook my eggs but if I make scrambled eggs, chilli, turkey burgers that is when I use the coconut oil. Most things I follow are from the dolce diet which recommends coconut or grapeseed oil for cooking because of the high smoking point.

I'll be honest what macros and cals I should be on confuses me. I think I've overread the concept and changed my settings so many times as I was under feeding.

My goal is to loose the fat covering my abs and build a little more definition/lean muscle, I'm not worried what I weigh in at really. Using the fit2fat miltary calculator I have a BF% of 15.3% and 20lb/9kg of that is fat.

Any help appreciated.
  • andycet
    Options
    Also, yes I'm always under on my protein but always seem to never have enough cals/carbs or fat left to have foods to get protein up unless I go over or just have Whey Isolate shakes.
  • alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options

Remove a yolk from an egg?? The very suggestion!:sad:

I do it all the time
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    this depends on how you have your macros set up.

i follow a ketogenic diet while intermittent fasting. so my macros are 65fat/15carbs/20protein. my diet consists of copious amounts of coconut butter, nuts and peanut butter, full fat dairy, and fatty cuts of meat. i get my carbs from green leafy vegetables, cauliflower, berries and an occassional slice of whole grain protein bread. my workouts are unaffected by this way of eating. in fact they have improved. i'm a distance runner and i've been able to push my distances further consuming less carbs and more fat.

saturated fat (the type of fat found in coconut oil) gets such a bad rap these days...it's really unfortunate. me personally, i thrive off of a high fat diet. it's just what works for me.

I love coconut oil! I think it's great that you're a distance runner and seeing improvement in your performance with a ketogenic diet. We hear so much that one NEEDS carbs for energy, and it's just not true.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    what are your macros set to?

your fat seems a little low? i was getting about 70g when i was on 2000 cals, which was a 45c/30f/25p split (to aim for 125g of protein, or 1g per lb of bodyweight) i really struggle with less that 30% fat!
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    A decent non-stick pan lets you 'fry' an egg without any oil at at all - I use a Tefal red spot one.
    (Not sure if you get them in the US.)
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Do you track saturated and unsaturated fats separately? I get a lot of my "fat" from peanut butter and almonds which both have a lot of unsaturated fats. If I am "over" on my total fat goal, but stay below my "saturated fat" goal, I am happy with that. I don't limit my "good" fats. I'm not sure the make up of coconut oil right off the top of my head, it's a very low temp melting solid fat (usually liquid at room temp, solid when it gets a little colder) so probably a mix of saturated and unsaturated.
  • andycet
    Options
    I have my goals set to 40% Protein/ 40% Carbs / 20% Fat but all my fats are coming from nuts, avacado, eggs, meat, fish and peanut butter and oils (coconut, grapeseed, canola or extra virgin dressing)

Overall goal is to get definition and a few centimetres on my arms. I've been eating clean for over a year as well as excercising regularly which lost me 7kg but only started tracking for past few weeks as hit a plateau in new year and got my last few kg to loose.
  • rumplesnat
    rumplesnat Posts: 372
    Options
    I don't eat coconut oil...I use it as a moisturizer! LOL :blushing:
  • andycet
    Options
    at £8 a jar I wouldn't be rubbing it on my face.
  • 366to266
    366to266 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    at £8 a jar I wouldn't be rubbing it on my face.

What? Last week I bought a one KILOGRAM plastic tub of it on ebay for £9.99 including postage.

PM me if you need me to give you the seller's ID