Birthday Cake Alternative

Options
It's my friends birthday tomorrow and usually I would make her a custom birthday cake. However, she's on a strict diet and won't eat cake. What could I make/buy her instead of cake that's healthy and diet friendly?

Thanks

Replies

• freelancejouster
    freelancejouster Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I don't necessarily have a recipe or anything, but I know there are vegan cakes that use healthier ingredients. You could make her some kind of tart with lots of fruit and light cream cheese. Or Angelfood cake is light weight compared to other options.
  • Izzwoz
    Izzwoz Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    If the diet is that strict, what IS she allowed to eat? Maybe start there to figure out a fun alternative? For example, if it needs to be fat free you could make a big birthday shape jelly mold with candles on it and maybe a few pieces of fruit through it?
  • mrtentaclenun
    mrtentaclenun Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Sugar free Angel Food Cake and ice it with cool whip lite, top with strawberries. Super low calories and DELICIOUS.
  • Weighinginwithmy02
    Weighinginwithmy02 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    fruit kabobs! or something similar to this

http://www.crystalandcomp.com/2011/06/strawberry-shortcake-kabobs/
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Or sugar free jelly.
  • 8Sam12
    8Sam12 Posts: 61
    Options
    Fruit salad? If you put enough effort in, you can carve up a melon in a way that allows you to put candles in it. Put the whole thing on a nice platter and serve. Will there be other people? Maybe cover some fruit in dark chocolate to make it look more fancy. Dark chocolate isn't that unhealthy either.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Sugar free Angel Food Cake and ice it with cool whip lite, top with strawberries. Super low calories and DELICIOUS.
    I did something similar for my husband's birthday once, although I don't think the angel food cake was sugar-free (even regular is low calorie compared to most cakes). Sliced the cake into thirds, filled it with lots of fresh fruit, topped with low-fat whipped cream. It was wonderful!
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Make a fruit pizza! Delicious!
  • 8Sam12
    8Sam12 Posts: 61
    Options
    What is Angel Food Cake? Never heard of it!

Alternatively, if you want to avoid foods, you could just spend a little more on a present? Also, regarding my earlier post, make sugar free jelly in fun molds and arrange between the fruits in a fruit salad.
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Fruit - fresh/dried - nuts & cheese platter??
  • healthyKYgirl
    healthyKYgirl Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Can you do an activity together instead of food? Treat her to the movies or go to the zoo and walk (depending on weather), take a yoga or zumba class together...
    What about making her fruit salad instead of cake?
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    vegan cakes are so not healthy haha
    something like this?
    4907040053_3648d67e0e.jpg
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    What is Angel Food Cake? Never heard of it!
    It's a white cake raised with whipped egg whites. Fat free, or virtually so, so it's much lower in calories than traditional cakes made with butter or oil.
  • freelancejouster
    freelancejouster Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    vegan cakes are so not healthy haha

It depends mostly on the recipe.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    We like mixed fruit with low-cal whipped topping or Greek yogurt.
  • scarletspy
    scarletspy Posts: 170 Member
    Options

THIS!

All the goodness of cake without the guilt. This should be perfect. Thanks :)
  • GoTeamMeaghan
    GoTeamMeaghan Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna go with either angel food cake or froyo.
  • The1iceQueen
    Options
    You could just take her out to eat, and she could just pick what she wants.
  • CEHayes73
    CEHayes73 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I make a healthy fruit crisp every year for my husband. Whatever fruit you like cooked - apple, berries, pear, rhubarb, or whatever mixture you like. Put in in the bottom of a baking pan, if you think it won't be sweet enough, you could add the sweetener of your choice, but you can also add spices, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, etc. Top with oatmeal mixed with a little bit of sugar, sweetener, honey, etc and a tablespoon or two of cooking oil, can add some chopped nuts to this, and then sprinkle over the fruit. Bake until the fruit is tender.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options

On this note, why not make a fruit bouquet, dipped in chocolate.

Canteloupe and melon flowers, pineapple fronds, strawberry chocolate covered buds, lemon lime jello covered grape buds. Lots of options, pretty healthy and a little chocolate and jello powder doesn't really hurt that much :)