Diabetic needing advice!

Options
wcasie
wcasie Posts: 299 Member
Ok peeps here is my question. I am a type 1 diabetic with an insulin pump. Should I follow more of the low carb/ high protein plan or should I follow the calorie count. Is it possible to do both? Doing both seems like an awful lot of counting lol let me know what you think or if you have any advice i would be grateful!

Replies

• dillydally123
    dillydally123 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I don't think this is this place to be looking for that advice. Speak to your health care provider before you radically change your diet. There's debate out there about low carb for type 1's. Here in Ireland it's not recommend by official channels but on the net you'll find accounts from people doing it very successfully.
  • loulabelle73
    loulabelle73 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Im with the above post... speak to a dietitian... don't listen to any advice on here! Good luck
  • WeightWatcherCindy
    Options
    I think a low carb high protein diet is the way to go . You can set up your food diary to track what you want, you don't need to follow MFP guidelines for carbs and proteins . You need to eat in whatever way keeps your glucose levels under control . I was recently diagnosed pre diabetic . I've done a lot of reading on diabetes . I have cut out junk and I try to eat as clean as possible . My glucose levels are in normal ranges now . Good luck :smile:
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    High fat, moderate protein diets are known to help the symptoms of diabetes yes. However a remote internet page isn't the best place to get individual advice simply because no one wants to risk your health. I could easily give you a diet for your weight but its worrying to know what could happen and we'd never know!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I think a low carb high protein diet is the way to go . You can set up your food diary to track what you want, you don't need to follow MFP guidelines for carbs and proteins . You need to eat in whatever way keeps your glucose levels under control . I was recently diagnosed pre diabetic . I've done a lot of reading on diabetes . I have cut out junk and I try to eat as clean as possible . My glucose levels are in normal ranges now . Good luck :smile:

there is no such thing as 'pre-diabetic' when you are talking about Type 1......

talk to your healthcare practitioner. messing with your carb levels messes with the amount of insulin you will need to set the pump at. going low-carb could put you at serious risk of a hypo if not managed properly.

get some proper advice from a medical professional who knows about diabetes. nutrition and weight gain are the things they know an awful lot about, and they should be able to advise. Personally I would go for the clean eating and maybe smaller portions but make sure you let your GP know what you are doing.
  • WTF7
    WTF7 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Many clinics have a DIabetic educator. This would be your best option to find out exactly what would be best for you. Good luck!
  • wcasie
    wcasie Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I know how much insulin to take per grams of carbs eaten. That isn't the issue as I understand that. I was just hoping to hear what other diabetics have done that work for them. And if it was possible to count the low carbs and number of calories. seems to me that the high protein diet would be higher in calories by nature.