why am I hungry an hour or two after eating?

Options
I have a mostly pescetarian diet (non-dairy, extremely low gluten), and eat mostly protien. I drink almost a gallon of water a day, and yet I'm constantly hungry 1-2 hours after eating. I'll be full after eating and then an hourish later i'm hungry again! this just started a few days ago and it's really weird!
Since mid-january I have changed my diet and been exercising more, but I didn't think it would change my metabolism that fast... Am I just not eating enough? I'm getting 1200-1500 cal a day, again, mostly protien and fiber, the two most filling things. I don't want to up my calorie intake much more cause I don't want to gain weight. my body has been doing a really good job of losing it... I've lost about 17 lbs in 6 weeks.
Any thoughts/suggestions?

Replies

• sofielein
    sofielein Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    what does that typical meal look like that you are hungry after?
  • Whiskybelly
    Whiskybelly Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Are you eating back the calories you burn off? Sounds like your body is screaming at you for not getting enough calories, and the calorie deficit has finally caught up with you.
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    In my world being hungry and hour or two after a meal is pretty normal. It just means it's time to eat again.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    In my world being hungry and hour or two after a meal is pretty normal. It just means it's time to eat again.

Ditto.
  • christiandjoel
    christiandjoel Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    You know what I do if I'm hungry a couple hours after I eat? I eat food! *Listen* to your body!! I eat every 2-3 hrs and I'm never hungry.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    My guess is you're not eating enough overall, and therefor your body is starving and begging for more food.

You don't have a lot of weight to lose, so losing almost 3 pounds per week is a pretty fast rate. It sounds to me like you should probably add another 300 calories or so every day, if not maybe a little more. 3 lbs per week is appropriate for people who are, like 100 lbs overweight, not people who are 25 lbs overweight.
  • stella1314
    stella1314 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    i eat every 2 hrs, and it works for me
  • yowza101
    yowza101 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I eat about every two hours..meal and then a snack...type of routine. So right about eating your calories that you burn off.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    My guess is you're not eating enough overall, and therefor your body is starving and begging for more food.

You don't have a lot of weight to lose, so losing almost 3 pounds per week is a pretty fast rate. It sounds to me like you should probably add another 300 calories or so every day, if not maybe a little more. 3 lbs per week is appropriate for people who are, like 100 lbs overweight, not people who are 25 lbs overweight.

you can't "starve" yourself if you eat 1200 to 1500 calories a day. Starvation effects only kick in after 72 hours of not eating anything, and even at that point it is minimal.

OP - Are you doing the six meals a day thing? That could be your problem and if the answer is Yes, you might want to back that off to four meals with your cals spread out over those four so that you are eating more calories at each sitting.

Are you more hungry in AM or Pm?
  • LagoonaChanBlue
    Options
    High metabolism?
  • selmafeki
    selmafeki Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    You are exercising more --> your body needs more food.

You can try eating bigger portions when u do eat. But remember being hungry is not dangerous, I don't think people should be so afraid of being hungry all the time.

Do whats best for you and work through it, try different things! :)

Good luck x
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options

OP - Are you doing the six meals a day thing? That could be your problem and if the answer is Yes, you might want to back that off to four meals with your cals spread out over those four so that you are eating more calories at each sitting.

This was my problem as well. I never felt full, never felt satiated, at the "eat/snack multiple times a day" schedule. By switching it to 3 or 4 meals a day, I was finally full enough to not be starving all day.
  • 366to266
    366to266 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Your body is the expert. It's HUNGRY and it's telling you loud and clear.

Listen to all the good advice on this thread, please.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Increase you're fats, esp EFA's. You'll find a small amount will sort you out.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options

you can't "starve" yourself if you eat 1200 to 1500 calories a day. Starvation effects only kick in after 72 hours of not eating anything, and even at that point it is minimal.

Are you more hungry in AM or Pm?

The effects of a diet too low in calories are very real. No one is talking starving as in you are about to keel over, we are talking about the body and the release of ghrelin in which the body attempts to make you eat more, and also the slow down down in metabolism in terms of the release of t3 being lowered.
  • GingerBiscuit_19
    GingerBiscuit_19 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Your body is the expert. It's HUNGRY and it's telling you loud and clear.

Listen to all the good advice on this thread, please.

I totally don't believe this. People don't aimlessly wind up on a calorie counting site because listening to their body worked for them. Ignore your body, follow a regimen. Excellence is a habit.

We ended up on a calorie counting website because we listened to our minds, not our bodies, genius...

There's a difference between hunger and cravings, something us much bigger people have a hard time translating. If you genuinely FEEL hungry, then you MUST EAT. Get some rye bread, or snack on pumpkin seeds or something. Don't deprive yourself!
  • skinnydreams19
    skinnydreams19 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    1200-1500 is really low, try 1700? You'll still lose, but slower and sustainably. Also, are you eating back exercise calories?
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I like to save my calories to one big meal a day so I feel full and satified. You have to figure out what it is for you. I also like feeling empty so I have both feeling every single day. Eating every 2 hours does not work for me at all. Nor does counting calories because it makes me obsess about food. You have to find your own groove and do not let anyone else tell you anything different. It is about figuring out what works for you specifically.
  • suecan2
    suecan2 Posts: 45
    Options
    when your body does not get all the nutrients it needs, it calls out - with hunger. my 30# overweight problem came from not paying attention to the food pyramid. when i was hungry, i would choose more carbs, more breads! when you get a balanced diet, your body is satisfied - it is filled with quality fuel. our bodies are machines that require vitamins, minerals, proteins and fats for all our little cells to continue running at optimum. take a look at your overall diet and see which required nutrients you may be lacking.. moderation is the key to good success. someone pointed out to me one day --- follow a thin, healthy person for a day--- well, i began doing that to several healthy people, and low and behold, moderation was the key to success.. not too much of one thing and too little of another. so look at the amounts required and what you are taking in.... the answer may be there. just a suggestion.