BMI?

Options
So depressed. I am a size 10-12 and had my yearly physical yesterday. My BMI says I serverly OBESE. This doesnt help my self esteem. My gosh Serverly??? as size 10 is OBESE??

Replies

• scrumhalf7
    scrumhalf7 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Stick 2 fingers up at BMI, it is flawed. Was Mike Tyson obese in his prime? I think not.
  • jenndymond
    jenndymond Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Bmi is bull****. It takes into no account your body make up. To put it into perspective. Brad Pit in fight club was considered to have an obease BMI. Take a look at your body fat %. It is a better indicator.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Well, it's flawed if you have a lot of muscle.

OP do you think you have a lot of muscle?

Dress sizes vary around teh world - where abouts are you, and what height are you?
  • kelly_lake
    kelly_lake Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Agree with scrumhalf. My BMI puts me as overweight but I am a UK 12 (US 8/10 I think) Try calculating your body fat percentage instead and see where that puts you.
  • iucheer
    iucheer Posts: 3
    Options
    thanks everyone. Yes, I have a lot of muscle. I am 5'6 and wear a size 10 usa pants and a 36DD. I know I should not let that BMI thing get me down. I just cant believe it said I am severly Obese...so crazy. No wonder why people get eating disorders. From now on I am going to just go by measurments and weight loss. lol Its just embarissing that my chart states I am serverly OBESE.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone. Yes, I have a lot of muscle. I am 5'6 and wear a size 10 usa pants and a 36DD. I know I should not let that BMI thing get me down. I just cant believe it said I am severly Obese...so crazy. No wonder why people get eating disorders. From now on I am going to just go by measurments and weight loss. lol Its just embarissing that my chart states I am serverly OBESE.

many professional athletes are obese according to this f'd up system. I had a go at my doctor and made her write on my chart that noone was to talk to me about BMI
  • WickedZoey
    WickedZoey Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I wish I could like comments on this forum. I don't pay attention to BMI.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I doubt your BMI puts you in "severely obese" category if you're a size 10 and 5'6". I would recalculate that and recheck it. BMI > 30 is obese, which would equate to you weighing in excess of 185 lbs. "severely obese" is usually considered to be BMI of >40, which would put you over 240 lbs. While it's possible to be a size 10 at 5'6" and 185ish, it's extremely unlikely unless your body fat percentage is very low (you'd have to be very very muscular). There is no way someone who is 240+ lbs and 5'6" is a size 10 either, so my guess is that you miscalculated your BMI somehow.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    i used to think so too, but now I believe in it. maybe not for everybody but I really am a little guy. 5'4ish. so 150 or 155 lbs isn't unreasonable. I always thought of myself as 'big boned..' but the reality is I was FAT. and really, my chest has always been bigger than my stomach.... that's not a good gauge but made me feel better. I'm wondering if he meant medically obese? most importantly, don't be discouraged, keep eating well and logging and know you have supporters here who want you to do well.
  • Momf3boys
    Momf3boys Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    You know what I learned from the BMI chart? I'm too short...lol...I pay it no attention :)
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Regardless of what the chart says - what are you going to DO?
  • AndyLL180
    AndyLL180 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Ignore BMI and instead calculate your body fat using tools like here: http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/
  • darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I don't care for BMI since it doesn't consider body type and lean muscle mass. Not everyone the same height and weight is in the same shape.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    BMI does not take into account the difference between fat and muscle. If you're a size 10, then it's likely you have a high lean body mass for your height, you may not be obese according to body fat percentage (which counts for far, far, far, more than BMI)

for women, 35%+ is obese, 28%+ is overfat, healthy is usually quoted as being 18-28%, although you can be healthy at lower percentages than this if you're athletic (as opposed to starving yourself down to that low a bf%)

I'm right at the very borderline between "normal" and "overweight" according to BMI, and my body fat percentage is about 22-23%. I have a high lean body mass for my height, and I'm not even an experienced weightlifter (in fact it's my long term goal to gain at least another 5lb of muscle mass), I just have a large frame. Sounds like some of this may apply to you too.

Get your body fat percentage measured a reliable way, and if that's high, use that to calculate what weight you should be, and lose some fat. Chuck the BMI chart in the bin, and go by body fat percentage. It can be more difficult to measure bf%, which is why doctors get lazy and only look at BMI charts. So it's worth getting it measured using more than one method, to get a general picture. I use calipers, circumference measurements and also visual estimates. Google Leigh Peele, she has a blog post that explains body fat percentage really well, and a free download with a ton of information in it, including pictures of women at different body fat percentages, to help you with visual estimates.
  • iucheer
    iucheer Posts: 3
    Options
    Thank you, I will see my doctor about this. I know I should not get caught up in the BMI. I am at 183lbs right now. I am small on the bottom but heavy on the top. I used to be in weight lifting comps. Iam crazy shapped with a size 10 bottoms and size 14 top due to a 36-38 DD. Great to hear that servely obese should be a BMI of 40 or more and my BMI was in the low 30's and then my doctor wrote me in the Obese catatgory close to Severe. This is why I was so depressed and could not understand why at my size was I considered obese. Anyway, I have lost 6 lbs and feel better. Hopefully I can get to an 8 and then he can just call me a little obese. lol Geeeezzzzz.