A question for cardio buffs

Options
This past week, I've been trying to do at least 12 minutes of cardio every day. 12 minutes a day for a week is my goal this week and so far I'm meeting it. That may not seem like much to some, but it's a great start for me; especially considering I'm not able to be very active during the day. I really had to push myself to finish my 12 minutes of cardio yesterday though. I got through it, but it was a more difficult than the previous days were. So, here's my question: that was my fifth straight day of doing non-stop cardio for 12 minutes, should I continue through the weekend and just grin and bare it if it's aweful, or should I give myself a break for day or two to recoop?

Thanks! :)

Replies

• stormynytes4ever
    stormynytes4ever Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • 8Sam12
    8Sam12 Posts: 61
    Options
    Well, what cardio are you doing? Maybe just do something a little easier instead for a couple of days? That way you're remaining active without causing damage to yourself.
  • farsteve
    farsteve Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Take a day off and give yourself a non-food related reward.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Well done on challenging yourself to get exercise in regularly.

12 minutes is not enough to put undue stress on the body so unless you are experiencing any considerable pain or discomfort then you should be fine to do that amount every day.

However you may wish to take a day off to relax if you feel the need for a rest or if you think a break will make it easier for you to consistently exercise for the long term.
  • LGrill27
    LGrill27 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Chill for a day.
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Just asking...why 12 minutes? I don't know your stats such as age, weight and all that..just wondering?
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    you should do some strength training instead.
  • fotofreak01
    fotofreak01 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Today was my day 5 too. I also found it hard to get through. I do the elliptical but I change the program, incline and resistance every day. Days 1-4 were not "easy" but day 5 really sucked...lol. I also found I had to work harder to get my heart rate up to where it needed to be.
  • stormynytes4ever
    Options
    I work on an eliptical because that's the only piece of equipment I have and I live nowhere near a gym. I'm doing 12 minutes because that's all I'm able to do at this point. I'm mainly trying to build endurance right now.
  • 8Sam12
    8Sam12 Posts: 61
    Options
    Well done on doing exercise regularly then.
    I've recently started doing more strenuous exercises than I'm used to and IT HURTS. But it'll be worth it.

I've never used an eliptical but maybe you could try using a lower speed? Or take a day off from the elliptical and take a nice long walk instead? Maybe 30min if you have the time? It'll be easier on muscles/joints but keep you in the habit of moving every day. I try to not take days off completely because once I've taken a day off, I'll be more tempted to take another day off etc.
  • stormynytes4ever
    Options
    I'd be more than happy to take a walk, if it weren't so darn cold right now. Mother Nature is really irritating me with this bipolar weather. lol
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Could be other things besides fatigue that are bothering you. How's your eating been the last few days? Are you eating back at least half of your exercise calories? Are you getting plenty of water? Maybe you're fighting a low grade cold? Maybe it's that time of the month?

If you don't think it's anything like that then it's probably fatigue and it woudln't be a bad idea to take a rest day. There's such a thing as an active rest day though...it's good to do something different to keep the body guessing. You could always do something else at home like walking in place, jumping jacks, pretend jump rope, push-ups, sit-ups, etc. Google for at home workout for other ideas. If you live near some time of mall, you could walk indoors there.
  • nguk123
    nguk123 Posts: 223
    Options
    Cold is just an excuse no ? I'm assuming you have warm clothes you could put on...
  • funhouse77
    funhouse77 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Walking in the cold weather for say 30-45 mins will be far more beneficial than just 12 minutes on an elliptical. Or even walk on a treadmill if you really don't want to go outside (personally, I love walking at this time of year, and I'm in Scotland, its cold here too!) But 12 minutes is not going to push you.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    If you're pushing yourself to your max (whatever that max is) day after day after day, take a day off. The "gains" actually happen when your body recovers from whatever you asked it to do (or so says stuff on the interwebs). So take a day, rest & recover, then get back to it the next day.
  • Epiclobster
    Epiclobster Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Cold is just an excuse no ? I'm assuming you have warm clothes you could put on...

My thought too - in Alberta we suffer -30 and then add the windchill...but there are clothes made for exercising outdoors and I find it invigorating to get outside in the winter months...and in my mind I'm burning even more calories because my body is working at keeping warm too!
  • ElScorcho26
    ElScorcho26 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Cardio isn't easy if you're working out with something you don't enjoy. Try changing the routine and going with something you're curious about like zumba, or combat-style cardio, as an example. The first week is tough because you're establishing a routine. Instead of doing cardio everyday, why not alternate between that and strength training. I know at first I didn't want to do strength training but just remember the more muscle mass you develop the more "fat" it eats. Also, I work out during lunch because I have an office job and it's harder for me to deviate from that schedule. Working out in the evenings didn't work for me because I was burnt out by the end of the day. Find a time of the day that you can easily make a routine and one that would be hard to change.
    Have faith and stay strong!