FitBit calories burned question

Options
Hi everyone! I just got my FitBit yesterday after work. I pretty much put it on, ate, then did my work out. When I finished with my workout, it told me I burned 1,508 calories. Normally, when I track on here, it's between 200-250 calories burned. I bought this because I wanted a more accurate number of calories burned while I'm exercising, not necessarily for the whole day. Is there any way I can track calories burned for my workouts only?

Replies

• lilmisfit
    lilmisfit Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Yes. Press and hold the button to start the timer when you begin your workout, then press and hold to stop it when you've finished. When you log onto your dashboard you will see an "activity record". This is the amount of calories that you burned during your workout.
  • shannonevan
    shannonevan Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I just have the Zip Wireless Activity Tracker. Does that have a button to press?
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    The 1508 calories will have included what fitbit thinks you will have burned that day in total (starting at midnight), including your BMR so that's why the high reading. (in the same regard, it will always show a reading when you wake in the morning which is the calories already burned that day while sleeping).

As stated above, press the button at the start of an exercise session and again at the end to create an 'activity record' so you will be able to see the data just for that time period.
  • shannonevan
    Options
    Thanks for all your help ladies. I don't think the FitBit I have has a button to press. I don't see anything.
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    What sort of workout were you doing? My FitBit is usually WAY out when it comes to anything other than walking or running which is why I have my HRM.
  • agggie550
    agggie550 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Fitbit probably isnt the best tool to be using if you are tryign to track calories burned during a work out, unless all you are doing is walking, if you really want to track your calories burned during a work out, you might want to look into purchasing a heart rate monitor. (Just my opinion)
  • Cjoseph03
    Cjoseph03 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    It doesnt have a button. The fitbit is more an estimation of daily burn. It calculates on "past history" about how much you burn for the day. Example 2200 cals for the day. If you move less, it will automatically and constantly decrease that number. If you move more, it will increase that number. It's an estimate.
  • Cjoseph03
    Cjoseph03 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    And I totally agree about the HRM. If nothing else, Walmart sells the wrist wear type for $20. Of course the ones with the chest strap are ideal.I use a Polar FT4 with chest strap and love it! It's so much more accurate than the wrist....
  • shannonevan
    Options
    I do the Turbofire workouts. Yesterday, I did Fire Starter Class and Stretch 10.

I should probably look into something else to track my calories burned then.

Thanks everyone!
  • fleerik
    fleerik Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I'm doing things right, but this probably gives me a general idea on my calorie burn.
    This morning I worked out for about 45 minutes. I did a circuit of running and other exercises. I will log the time I work out as general circuit training minus the running. I let the fitbit track my steps for walking, treadmill, elliptical.
  • DonaA123
    DonaA123 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tbgree00
    tbgree00 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit One so your mileage may vary on the Zip but I come into the myfitnesspal website and log my exercise duration and start time. Once I do that the fitbit changes its calorie adjustment to give me its estimate for my total activity for the day. Last night I had an adjustment of 450 and after working out for 30 minutes it changed its adjustment down to 60. I'm not sure how accurate it all is but I'm losing so I'm sticking with that.