Obsessed with the scale

Options
I just started to really commit to eating well and exercising about a week into February, and I have already lost 7 lbs. (woo!) I set the goal to lose 10 by March 1st. I realize that is a little steep, but for the first couple weeks it seemed totally possible, so I was super excited to finally achieve a set weight loss goal for once in my life; however this week my weight hasn't budged, and I am already starting to hit that wall that I always hit of being discouraged by what the scale says. I realize I am completely delusional, because of course losing 7 lbs. over the course of about three weeks is amazing! And I really am genuinely happy with that, yet some part of me cannot help but to get instantly frustrated when the scale stops moving.

And yes, hence the title of this post, I am obsessed with weighing myself. I do it at least once a day, and I know it's a problem!!! My boyfriend is even threatening to take my scale away and only let me weigh in weekly or biweekly. I really do feel like it keeps me on track though! I feel like this whole thing might be a self-sabotage cycle I keep putting myself through, so I need some support!

Can any of you relate to this, and if so, what do you do to deal with it?

Replies

• 6302getsfit
    6302getsfit Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hey! I try and weigh myself 1 a week. So I don't weight my self everyday because, you know your water weight shifts daily!
    It doesn't matter what you weight though, it more matters of what you look like you weight :)
    Congrats on your weight loss!!

xx
    -Emalee
  • annapcc
    annapcc Posts: 34
    Options
    I totally can relate. I was weighing myself every time I would walk into the bathroom! I finally put my scale in my living room under the couch and picked a weigh-in day. (Friday). So far it has helped with the constant urge to weigh myself. Don't let the scale determine your mood. You're not doing this just to have the numbers on the scale go down.... It's a lifestyle change and takes time. Live your life and don't let it be ruled by a number. :-)
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I have to get on mine once first thing everymorning. I wish someone would take mine away for a week! Let him, it'll be a good thing for you.
  • MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I weighed myself constantly, probably half a dozen times a day. I tucked my scale away for the month of February.

The first week was brutal, I was wildly anxious. I somehow thought that without checking I was in danger of gaining 20 lbs overnight (yeah, I know). After that I settled down. And the odd thing was that it really helped me stick to my daily goals.

I planned to not weigh myself until this Saturday, but pulled the scale out yesterday. My official weigh in day won't be until Saturday, but it has been wonderful to be free of it. It takes a lot of energy to try to control your weigh every minute of every day, and the normal fluctuations we all have became ridiculously important.

Put your scale away for a few weeks. You won't regret it.
  • Grognit
    Grognit Posts: 50
    Options
    When I log my food for the day it says you will weigh xxx by xxx. Well the weight it says is my next goal so that's when I will weigh. It's 24 days from now. I hate the scale. It didn't move for weeks but my clothes fit better and I felt different.
  • res119
    res119 Posts: 27
    Options
    Thank you so much for the support and advice! I think I am going to get rid of it for a little while. It is for sure a lifestyle, and that is what I want it to be. I know I have to learn to just go by feeling healthy more so than worrying about the number on the scale. Thanks everyone! :)
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I totally can relate. I was weighing myself every time I would walk into the bathroom! I finally put my scale in my living room under the couch and picked a weigh-in day. (Friday). So far it has helped with the constant urge to weigh myself. Don't let the scale determine your mood. You're not doing this just to have the numbers on the scale go down.... It's a lifestyle change and takes time. Live your life and don't let it be ruled by a number. :-)

Well said.......Hide them, and weigh once a week : )

Good luck!
  • kellster111
    kellster111 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh once a week and then it started to be twice a week and then everyday! I was getting so frustrated with the fluctuations, so I took measurements and stopped weighing so often. I still weigh once per week but if I get disheartened I then check measurements and the tape is moving even if the scale isn't. I have lost 2 inches from my waist in 6 weeks and not lost a pound.
    Weight isn't everything its how you look and feel that is just as important as a number on a scale.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh myself at all! I go by how my clothes fit.
  • stella1314
    stella1314 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I am exactly like you, i need to weigh myself at least once a day. I trIed zig-zag diet and it worked for me.
  • hannah_ryann
    hannah_ryann Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I weigh almost every day when I remember, but I've been able to separate myself emotionally from the number. I log about once a week, or whenever I get a new low, whichever comes first. I used to go round and round in my head with the scale numbers because I had an eating disorder in high school, but now it's just one of the many tools (including measurements, how my clothes fit, and how I feel mentally and physically) that i use to track my progress. I'm doing everything right and if the scale doesn't agree, I just say "whatevs."
  • shunta864
    shunta864 Posts: 52
    Options
    i was horrible when it came to the scale. i just recently moved to a new place and left the scale there! lol i told myself that i would wait at least a month before i would weigh myself. i also have a crazy little secret. the first few months of my weight lose i wouldn't buy one because i knew how bad i was with weighing myself. so what i did is went to a big lots right down the street once a week and they had a scale that was already out of the box, i guess for display. i would go in and walk directly to the scale weigh myself and leave. lol. i mean it worked. why not..{dont judge me}
  • agggie550
    agggie550 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself 3 times a day, first thing in the morning when i get home from work, and before i go to bed. Why I dont know, because i really dont care what the number says, maybe i gained or lost, or am the exact same, im still getting up going to the gym next day because I wanna be healthy... I base my success on my weights, and how my clothes fit... a scale is just a number, a new pair of smaller jeans, or a looser fitting tshirt feels just as good as a lower weight, and getting an extra rep in, or adding 25 lbs to your squat, feels just as good as a lower scale number. So some times the scale isnt the only way to judge success, its just the easiest. Good luck.
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    scales aren't accurate.

Doesn't count your bones structure,water,muscle mass etc...
    Even your poop (sorry but yes, you can have a total of 5 pounds of poop in you without knowing). That's why you need to eat fiber lol.
    Use a mirror and a measuring tape.... This is the best best best way.
    So many proof of this everywhere.

If you get toner and gain 5 pounds of muscles you will be heavier on the scale but not in front of the mirror or with a measuring tape...you will be more cut and lean that's 100% true.

I didn't lose many pounds myself (30 lbs at the moment) BUT I've lost 8 inches of waist and over 15% body fat.
    Not super major on the scale but on pictures etc.....big big difference.

Just my opinion here ;)

Take care everyone.
  • ljmiller11
    ljmiller11 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I found myself feeling like this too and so I have set myself a challenge. No weighing at all in March! I know it's going to be so hard to do but I'm up for the challenge and I'm sick of being down when the scale shows a tiny loss or nothing at all. Feel free to add me as a friend if you fancy joining in on the challenge.

Good luck :)
  • plynn54
    plynn54 Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    If you live with somone just get them to hide away the scale and get it out once a week for you
  • Weighinginwithmy02
    Weighinginwithmy02 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    by setting an unatainable goal, you set yourself up for failure. Why would you do that when you have done it before in the past and you know how it works out for you? Set yourself up for winning! Set an attainable, achievable, realistic goal and stick with it. Even if you don't achieve your target weight by ___ date, who cares? It's just a number you're plucking out of the air to give you a goal to shoot at. Sometimes our goals need to be adjusted. The real prize is getting healthy, regardless of when it is achieved, be it a week or a month late.
  • mfoy94
    mfoy94 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    If it affects your weight loss and you are getting de motivated and want to quit then put the scale away. I know its tempting, I weigh myself every day but I know I cant let that number rule my life
  • StephTanis
    StephTanis Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I was obsessed with scale numbers last time I set out to lose weight. This time I am taking measurements and calculating body fat percentage with my weight. Trying to only weigh in and measure once a week! Last weigh in I gained a pound but according to bf% I lost two pounds of fat and went down a full percentage because my measurements were smaller. It helped my psyche to know that I was still losing bf% even if I gained a pound!
  • workoutchick
    workoutchick Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    yep .i can relate to you. I weigh myslef aleast every day or every other day. I'm getting a little better at it though. I probably should hide the thing. it's only a number. i've been feeling better since i started exercising 5 -6 days a week.