Replies

• brett1117
    brett1117 Posts: 208
    Options
    don't like it
  • MM_1982
    MM_1982 Posts: 374
    Options
    Not a fan of the show, but Melissa McCarthy is hilarious. (esp in Bridesmaids)
  • vixxxen88
    vixxxen88 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I really like it ! i think the sister is hillarious
  • deepuckett1
    deepuckett1 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Love Love Love it. The Grandma is soooo funny. She and "Brother Haywood" crack me up!
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I've never seen it. I think the woman in it is pretty funny in her movies though.

I don't really watch anything but mad men, breaking bad, game of thrones, dexter, house of cards (now), homeland, archer, and it's always sunny.
  • liya368
    liya368 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Didn't like it for quite some time; but now I do.
  • grdnr03
    grdnr03 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    the few times i've watched it I liked it
  • tpcmkmny
    tpcmkmny Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I look forward to Monday nights so much because of the show. The sister makes me laugh till I cry - love it!
  • gym_king_carlie
    gym_king_carlie Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I wont lie, I dont watch it often, I caught it for first time last night, I found it enjoyable. I like the sister because she reminds me of a friend and shes easy on the eye lol
  • Mumbles83
    Mumbles83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    No idea what this is , hmmm confused
  • kristen49233
    kristen49233 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I used to watch it, but haven't in a long time. But I love Melissa McCarthy...so funny!! If you haven't seen "Identify Thief" I recommend see it--again, so funny!!
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I have never watched a full episode, and have no desire to, based on what I have seen. I just can't watch a show that is based on being obese as the main topic. It glorifies an unhealthy lifestyle. I am not a fan of fat-bashing and don't think overweight people should be discriminated against, but I just can't see intentionally promoting living a life at that size, and calling it entertainment. And they have both grown larger since the show began. Didn't they first meet at an Overeaters Anonymous meeting? Apparently they quit going to meetings.

I'm sure my opinion is not popular with everyone, but you asked what we thought about it, so there it is. :flowerforyou:
  • kristen49233
    kristen49233 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I have never watched a full episode, and have no desire to, based on what I have seen. I just can't watch a show that is based on being obese as the main topic. It glorifies an unhealthy lifestyle. I am not a fan of fat-bashing and don't think overweight people should be discriminated against, but I just can't see intentionally promoting living a life at that size, and calling it entertainment. And they have both grown larger since the show began. Didn't they first meet at an Overeaters Anonymous meeting? Apparently they quit going to meetings.

I'm sure my opinion is not popular with everyone, but you asked what we thought about it, so there it is. :flowerforyou:

Are you saying it's OK then for the entertainment industry to only use "fit" people in their shows even though the average American isn't fit? I understand what you are saying about not wanting to glorify obesity...but at the same time, having a cast of all healthy people is not the norm.
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    No, I get where she was coming from, I was glad to read that someone had the same thought I did.

Why should it be glorified?

I love Melissa McCarthy, I think she's phenomenal, but I think it's a cruel joke to have her play a role where the whole premise embraces, pokes fun at, and glorifies the main character's sizes. Why is it bad? Because they are unhealthy, and they give a head nod towards the notion that "It's ok to be fat."

It's *not* ok, that's what ALL of us are doing here on this website, Trying to lose body fat. To answer you directly, should they only use thin people to star in TV shows? Hell no, it's biased and disgusting that weight should exclude you from most roles in acting, but at the same time, don't glorify their weight.

And for the record, I say the exact same thing when it comes to shows about the manufacture and consumption of illegal drugs, like breaking bad. But I won't watch Mike and Molly because they glorify obesity, or at least give a head nod towards the notion that "it's ok to be big." It's *not* ok, the obese are racing towards an early grave. Think of the last time you saw an obese 80 year old....
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I don't think the show glorifies being fat just because the two main characters are fat. I haven't watched the show in a while, but in the first season, there were several episodes about their struggle to lose weight, their struggle for self-acceptance, etc. It's a sitcom, so of course there are going to be fat jokes, and not every show is going to take a serious look at obesity and weight-loss, but the show has definitely touched on those issues in the past.

My favorite characters are probably Mike, Carl, and Carl's grandmother. The sister is pretty funny too. I am not crazy about their mother and her boyfriend/husband, whatver he is, but otherwise, I think it's a funny show.
  • sedwards9999
    sedwards9999 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    It's ok..I'll watch if it's on but don't make it a point to watch.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    i don't hate it. but i don't like it enough to DVR it.

since it's on Mondays, anything on that night has to compete with MNF for my attention until January. And MNF wins. So, is this a show so good that I will record it to watch at another time? no.
  • gym_king_carlie
    gym_king_carlie Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I think everyone makes fairpoints, I personally dont think it gloryfies been obese, obviously it is centred on the 2 main characters whom are obese, but the jokes in the show are no more different to the ones I hear my overweight friends make, I think its a show that alot of overweight people can relate to, its a comedy and shouldnt be taken to serious in my opinion, as for cast selection, I couldnt imagine someone like Jennifer Anniston playing the role of a person battling with been overweight, some roles in movies and television, actors and actresses need to look a certain way or been a certain race or age or sex, thats just to fit a role. Imagine Jonah Hill playing king leonardis in the film 300?
  • CuddlyIrish
    CuddlyIrish Posts: 149
    Options
    I love it,laugh out loud at every episode, you've good taste :-)