Planet fitness people c'mere!

Options
I'm thinking about joining planet fitness. Can you tell me what you like/dislike about it? Any other info you can give me would be helpful. Thanks so much!

Replies

• fryingpanofdoom
    fryingpanofdoom Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I like it because it's cheap and all I want to do is use the cardio machines and some of the weight machines and keep to myself. I've heard people into serious lifting don't like it so much, but if you're a casual gym goer it's fine. I know they have fitness trainers and will help you make a training schedule, but I've never utilized that feature so I can't say whether they are decent. It probably varies branch to branch, just like any other business.

The only thing I dislike is that my branch doesn't have WiFi and I have to drive 20 minutes to get to it. lol
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I'm a planet fitness member because it's cheap. I like it in general. the only thing I don't like is the lack of free weights. You cannot do a deadlift, period. There are no bars to use for a deadlift and no deadlift machine. Pretty much anything that needs to be done with a bar and plates, cannot be done. There are squat/bench racks, so that is good. Overall, plenty of machines, mine isn't usually crowded, staff is nice, gym is clean, etc... Depends on what you are looking for though.
  • SpaceMarkus
    Options
    I started going because it was cheap, but after about a year I realized it was always slammed because it was cheap. So I took what I would spend going there a year (not just Membership, but renewal, gas, and time to drive to and from) and figured out it was easier and cheaper to pick up Insanity and workout from home. Haven't looked back since and got awesome results.

The one I went to was fairly clean. I found the staff to be pretty ordinary, though. No one really had any fitness experience and couldn't help with more than "If you want biceps use that machines. If you want a nice butt use that machine" etc.
  • suzely0530
    suzely0530 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I love it there ! I've been going over a year...I pay $20 / month so I can bring a guest for free and use all of the other amenities (tanning, red light therapy). It's not a meat market, which I love ! And it's true that there is no judgement...or at least I don't feel like there is. The equipment is all new and they gym is kept very clean.
  • CAS317
    CAS317 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    The things that I like are that mine is open 24/7. It is inexpensive. The 30 minute circuit and tanning option is nice. Mine has probably about 100 cardio machines so even at peak times you dont have to wait. I dislike that the cardio machines are limited. No rowing machines, staircsteppers, or stairmasters.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    No free weight? Hmmm..that's odd. Is it just weight machines? Also, what is red light therapy?
  • alischoeneweis
    alischoeneweis Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I like it for the same reason others like it. It's inexpensive and convenient. For $10, you can have a month to month membership. For $20, you can bring a friend and have unlimited use of their tanning beds and hydro massage beds....am I missing anything? The downside is that there is no group fitness such as spinning, Zumba, kickboxing, etc....which I like. Also, there is no childcare. If group fitness and childcare don't factor into it for you, it's great!

Edit: This is how Planet Fitness in Central Texas works.....not sure about the rest of the U.S., though I suspect it's a similar deal.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    I like it for the same reason others like it. It's inexpensive and convenient. For $10, you can have a month to month membership. For $20, you can bring a friend and have unlimited use of their tanning beds and hydro massage beds....am I missing anything? The downside is that there is no group fitness such as spinning, Zumba, kickboxing, etc....which I like. Also, there is no childcare. If group fitness and childcare don't factor into it for you, it's great!

Edit: This is how Planet Fitness in Central Texas works.....not sure about the rest of the U.S., though I suspect it's a similar deal.

Thanks for the info. When I called my PF in PA I was told there are classes so maybe it's different at every location.
  • shelleycc
    shelleycc Posts: 49
    Options
    PF is cheap and convenient, super-friendly and eclectic, and has tons of cardio and weight machines, a dedicated abs machine/core/stretching area, and a very nice 30-minute express circuit. As mentioned before, they are a little limited on free weights: they do have a very nice selection of fixed-weight dumbbells, lots of benches, and three Smith machines. However there are no barbells to speak of, just a small selection of fixed weight baby barbells (straight and EZ-curl, about 36" long), and no regular squat rack (to use with a free-weight barbell). Bonus: there is one assisted dip/chin machine. :)

The free 'classes" follow a regular weekly schedule with the trainer. Each class (small group) focuses on a specific body part: for example, abs, shoulders, legs, chest, etc. Our trainer tailors his classes to what the participants' goals are. There is also a "Design your own workout" class where the trainer assesses your goals and works up a complete regimen for you. PF has been wonderful for me to get my big ole butt into gear, but if I continue to progress as I hope (emphasis on heavy, compound lifts), I may have to look elsewhere.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I was a member. It was a good starter gym for me. At first, I was mostly interested in running on a treadmill... I was just starting C25K and it was a snowy December that year. Eventually, my focus shifted to strength training and the locations closest to me didn't have free weights. Also, I toughened up a lot and now prefer running outside even in crappy weather to running on a treadmill. So I quit the gym and bought weights for home.

But I do think it's a great bargain if you just want access to lots of equipment.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I go to LA Fitness and love it but I've been to two different Planet Fitnesses before. If you want to do cardio and extremely limited strength exercises on some of the machines then Planet Fitness is the place for you. If you want to actually have a chance at putting on some muscle and getting in a decent work out go to LA Fitness, Fitness First, Gold's Gym, etc. Planet Fitness simply does not have the equipment most people need.
  • houlenberg
    houlenberg Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I like it b/c it's inexpensive, super clean and gets the job done. I'm not a bodybuilder, so the amount of free weights and machines is perfect for me. There are also SO many cardio machines that I never have to wait for one like I've had to do at other gyms in the past. The staff is friendly, it's close to home, and I'm able to get my butt there 4-5 times/week. Perfect for me.
  • that_Va_chick
    Options
    I love it there ! I've been going over a year...I pay $20 / month so I can bring a guest for free and use all of the other amenities (tanning, red light therapy). It's not a meat market, which I love ! And it's true that there is no judgement...or at least I don't feel like there is. The equipment is all new and they gym is kept very clean.

^^^^all of this^^^^

I love the red light therapy.