Eating healthy when traveling for 30+ hours straight?

Options
Ok, so I might have to travel really long haul this summer, and I have a few questions.

From walking out the door, until I get where I'm going, is probably gonna be about 34 - 35 hours, give or take a little, assuming everything goes according to plan. I'd have to wake up around midnight, and I'd get to where I'm staying at about 9 - 10 pm. As I fly I'm going to go through several time zones, which adds even more confusion. I figure it's ok to allow myself more calories than usual, but I want those to be mainly healthy calories. Has anyone ever done this before, traveled that long haul? How did you manage?

So I guess my questions are: I know airports are gonna be full of grab-and-go, easy convinience food, and that airplane food is usually really bad for you. I trust myself to make reasonably healthy choices, I'm just a bit confused about how much/how often to eat, as I'm not gonna be able to follow my regular meal times.

Replies

• dillydally123
    dillydally123 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Does this mean you got the go ahead for Oz?!! exciting!

Alot of airports have sushi. om nom nom. There are plenty of good choices in loads of the airports. and its two days, i wouldn't stress about it at all. eat when you're hungry. drink the free gin on the plane. oh yeah. (that is not actually good advice, but imho you'd be mad not to...)

you could try ordering the vegetarian meals on the plane when you book your ticket, they might be healthier.
  • misssmarita
    misssmarita Posts: 130
    Options
    Well, not exactly... I have to hand in some documentation, and if that clears (which they told me it would, but God knows they can change their minds at the drop of a hat), and I have to pass at least two out of three of the classes I'm currently enrolled in, but it LOOKS LIKE it's gonna happen. (though I've probably jinxed it now by saying that...)
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I've seen a healthy version of lunchables in airport newsstands. I forget what they're called but they have usually fruit, whole grains, nuts, cheese...healthy stuff for travel that keeps well without a huge caloric/ health impact. Also, try to go to airport vendors that you know have healthy options. Go to the airport websites see what restaurants are there and look up their menus. Based on your intinerary plan out each meal and what you're going to eat at each place. Keep some snacks in your carry-on just in case there are delays/ unexpected changes. This way you have one less thing to worry about on your trip.