Runners ONLY....

Options
DCpaleochick
DCpaleochick Posts: 211 Member
Just wondering how much weight you've lost from running as your main exercise routine?

I started running a few months ago and I must admit I am in LOVE! Besides Zumba this is the only form of exercise I do. I have lost approx. 18 lbs with about 22 more to go and at this point I want to keep running for weight loss. Would love to hear some running for weight loss success stories and share a pic if you want :) thx

Replies

• Paigepres
    Paigepres Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    When I started out I couldn't even run for a minute on the treamill before I wanted to take a walk break. Now, I can run for 30+ min and do so 3-4 times a week and I have registered for a few races this year. I lost my first 15lbs by circuit training and logging my food. I got into running as my main form of exercise I dropped another 15lbs gradually. I'm hoping to lose another 5-10lb by tightening up my diet, running longer distances and adding more strength training. Good luck!
  • Cheri_Moves
    Cheri_Moves Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    NONE. Sorry to disappoint. I lost 95% of my weight (around 65 pounds) before I started running over a year ago. Ive lost around 5 pounds since my miles went down and quit running so much.
    *I am always hungry when I run, I cant seem to have a decent deficit.

I actually plateaued once I began running around 20 miles a week, Been plateaued for a year, while training for triathlon last summer and training for a full this spring. I just developed ITBS, which has forced me to stop running for now: I am taking this time to lose the last 10 pounds that have been plaguing me.

I tell people running is awesome for maintaining loss and having a KILLER fitness level, but NOT for losing the weight. This has been my experience and others that I know of.
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Must agree with the lady above, I do not lose weight running. Been vigorously training for a half marathon and only lost maybe 3 pounds over 12 weeks, and it fluctuates a ton because I retain loads of water after a long run.

Running is WONDERFUL and I would never kick it out of a healthy lifestyle but distance running probably is not going to inspire tons of weight loss in someone who is already about a healthy weight. Keep up the running but add in lots of strength training!
  • dmeyers1969
    dmeyers1969 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    20 lbs so far but it is combo of solid training plan and managing calories by tracking daily
  • Menelaus35
    Options
    I've lost 55 pounds from running only and eating better.
  • jensenta3
    jensenta3 Posts: 179
    Options
    30 pounds! But I also do some strength training as well.
  • Erica262
    Erica262 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I gained 12 pounds when I was training for a marathon. Running long distances makes me HANGRY. I love running. (Or slogging in my case... slow jogging). But I'm cutting back on the distance for a little while so I can lose weight. I'm doing more weight lifting and yoga. I still run probably 14-20 miles per week, but that's way less than the 35+ miles I was doing each week during training. After I've lost weight and feel like I'm capable of maintaining it while training, I'll do another marathon. Until then I'll stick with 5Ks and fun runs.
  • RoamingDuck
    Options
    Honestly I do not know if there is anything more effective for cardio exercise than running. You can burn over 800 calories just running at a moderate pace for an hour. It is my MAIN form of cardio exercise, and I have lost about 60 pounds.

With that said, you must make sure to mix up your routine and cross train. Mixing up your routine will give your body the chance to use muscles more that aren't as engaged when just running. I run about 4-5 times a week and try to do strength training about 3-4 times a week.

I'm the same as most people though. Started out obese, could not run more than a couple of minutes. Now I can easily run for over half an hour and have done much more than that when I've had good reason. Keep it up :]
  • eatrunstretch
    eatrunstretch Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Initially, 30 lbs but since I've started training for races nothing really. I've found that for me personally, it only helps in weight loss if its a light short run, say 30 mins combined with a light training plan like Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30. Its great for maintaining though.

Good luck!
  • DCpaleochick
    DCpaleochick Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Must agree with the lady above, I do not lose weight running. Been vigorously training for a half marathon and only lost maybe 3 pounds over 12 weeks, and it fluctuates a ton because I retain loads of water after a long run.

Running is WONDERFUL and I would never kick it out of a healthy lifestyle but distance running probably is not going to inspire tons of weight loss in someone who is already about a healthy weight. Keep up the running but add in lots of strength training!

I have noticed that when I run for longer periods of time I retain water as well. I am thinking instead of running for 60 mins. maybe only do 30 mins. and add something else for the other 30 IDK. I'll play around with different things to get this 22 lbs off. Def. not giving up running altogether though :) (ADDICTED*)
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Running is my main exercise, but I also strength train at least 3 times per week. Anywho...I've lost almost 10 pounds in just under a month.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    None. I lost 40lbs while walking, before I became a runner. I haven't lost any weight, in fact, I have gained but I measure smaller in a few places and still wear my small jeans. I started lifting 4 weeks ago and still havent lost any weight so, now I'm adding walking back to my routine.
  • sozisfitnow
    sozisfitnow Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Id say running keeps the weight off, burns so many calories I can eat well that day, and I would venture to say slims the legs and torso, thats from my experience not a science lab on rats ( for the benefit of the miserable trolls on these forums)
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    All of it. My primary means was running, with a little stationary bike, walking with a weighted pack, calisthenics, and physical therapy thrown in :).
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Options
    I lost about 33 lbs. since beginning running which is before MFP days -- then I gained some back most likely due to adding in some strength training following StrongLifts 4x4 -- at present I am only doing running again following a 1/2 marathon training program and have again started slowly losing a few pounds.
  • hottiebikerchick
    hottiebikerchick Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I started running last year and this fall started zumba! Love me some HIP-Action!!! between the two I have lost 57 lbs. For me, cardio is the only thing that works. The running improved my stamina and the Zumba helped sculpt those hard to tackle women areas, like the hips and thighs...
  • k7n2w3
    k7n2w3 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    It depends. Weight loss is cals in vs cals out. Any workout that burns calories has to be compared with what your body takes in vs what you expend in your daily activities including any exercise.

Running can be tricky because if you get into "races" and running competitively you may not be able to lose due to having to take in enough to keep your body healthy and ready to train. if you are running for fun then you will lose whatever you are in the deficit of.
    if you have a calorie deficit of 500 each day (eat 1500 and burn 2000) then you'll lose a pound a week. I did find running (as it pertains to me and many) to be the highest calorie burning activity in the shortest amount of time though.

That being said when i started running more competitively (for PRs <personal records> not like winning for money) and around race time i am in full maintenance mode as you need to fuel your body to perform the best it can under extreme circumstances and some of my friends who have trained for marathons have gained due to eating more to fuel themselves. It all comes down to cals IMHO.

all that being said i love running and find it to be the best calorie burner for me :-) I hope to keep running for many many years and hope to do my first marathon this fall after doing another Tough Mudder in June.
  • purpleroxmysocks
    purpleroxmysocks Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    At first I lost weight from just running maybe about 40lbs, but it took time. Running is great though! I couldn't even run a mile, and when I was finally able to it took me about 14 minutes...now I can run 6 miles at a time, that is my normal run distance and I can run a mile in 7 minutes! Even if you don't lose much weight keep it up!
  • dmkoenig
    dmkoenig Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Running is a great form of exercise and I think you can lose weight by changing workout intensity by adding interval training into your regimine. But I would agree with the others that it's really best to incorporate strength training into your program which gets increasingly important as we age. The other cautionary advice is that the accumulated pounding from running over time increases the risk of injury, especially if that's all you do.

So keep on truckin' but also spend some time on building overall body strength...
  • Huggenkiss27
    Options
    I started training in October for a half marathon that I ran 3 weeks ago. I lost ZERO pounds running 3-4 days a week and doing boot camp 1-2 days a week in that almost 4 month period. I did count and log all my calories too! I am another one of those people that is in a healthy weight range as well so maybe that's why I didn't see any losses on the scale. I feel like I'm in much better physical shape though.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!