Weighing monthly

Options
I know this has been discussed many times before, but I can't find a thread on it and I'm curious what has worked for people. This morning I jumped on the scale since my "official" weigh in day is Fridays and it was up from last week. I know why, but it was also up from yesterday and I did really great yesterday. I almost didn't want to go to the gym this morning because the thought went through my head of "what is the point".

So while I was huffing and puffing away on the elliptical I started contemplating only weighing in once a month. I'm just starting out so once a week would still be beneficial until I can find what works for me, but once a month sounds nice. Instead of focusing on the weight coming off I can focus on goals like logging every day, getting to the gym 5 mornings a week, making better food choices, drinking plenty of water. That kind of thing, because in the end that is the most important thing than the number on the scale.

What has worked for you. Pros/Cons of weighing only once a month? Since it's March first I think it would be a good day to start.

Replies

• Whiskybelly
    Whiskybelly Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    If I'm honest I weigh myself every day - just to see what happens on a daily basis. The fluctuations have been so shocking sometimes that I've gotten over the fear of the scales. Now whenever I check my weight I no longer see it as "the big target" that I have to focus on. My "big target" is how my clothes fit me - I hardly pay attention to what the scales say.

I only note my weight if the loss or gain is different by five pounds, or up by 2 for a week.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    So if you decide to weigh monthly, what will happen if you step on the scale next month and it's up or the same? Wait a whole nother month to weigh again? Or will the "what's the point" voices take over?

It's great to have goals based on things you can control (logging, going to the gym, etc.). I don't have any goals based on the scale number. But I weigh myself every day. Doing this has helped me learn how certain things impact that number (eg TOM, high sodium days, heavy exercise, etc.). So if my "official" weigh-in day happens to be an up day, I don't stress. My weight can fluctuate 3,5,7 even 9 lbs from day to day. If I only weighed myself once a month and it happened to be an up day-I'd never make it another month before looking again. Especially if I had a focus on seeing a particular number.
  • Thisisnotadiet
    Thisisnotadiet Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Agree with Vitaminddd!
  • Boolietta
    Boolietta Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I weigh monthly, often less than that & I've been losing consistently for over a year and am now at goal weight. I find weighing too regularly counter productive. I track what I eat and excercise so I know without seeing a number on the scales whether I am indulging in healthy behaviours. Women in particular will have noticable fluctuations from day to day and depending on which week of the month it is & I dont want to become obsessive about every half pound. The big picture is what's important, so just find whatever works for you and stick with it.
  • skybama
    skybama Posts: 5
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday - first thing in the morning after I wake up and after a bathroom visit. That way, the measurments are consistent as far as intake and situation. I have found it also helps set my expectations - if I lose two pounds in a day, 1 of them is likely to show back up the next day. I may stay constant or in the same ballpark for a few days, then I will cycle back to losing as long as I stay in course.
  • volleygirl1980
    volleygirl1980 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself monthly..for the same reasons as you mentioned..I can focus more on eating well and exercising instead of the numbers - it seems to be working - I've lost 23 pounds in two months..

I used to weigh myself daily - I'd get discouraged every time the numbers would go up. If you eat well and workout, you would normally see a loss in a month. I figure if there is a month where the scale doesn't move or goes up, I reassess my strategy - I'm not looking for a quick weight loss - I want to lose the weight as a consequence of lifestyle changes...
  • SarasMommy13
    Options
    I weight myself daily.

Typically it works for me, but since I've had a baby I keep wanting to see that number go down a bit quicker.
    It drives me crazy!

I'm totally in on trying to weigh myself only monthly. :)
  • mhooge
    mhooge Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I weigh once a week on Saturday's and I do understand what you're talking about. It can be extremely frustrating to see the number go up on a week that you've given your all but I think weighing in is just part of the equation. Don't be upset and give up. Focus on how you're feeling in your clothes and how great it feels when you've pusher yourself a little harder in the gym. There's nothing better that working out, even when you don't feel like it! Keep going, it will pay off in the end!!
  • njgirl50
    njgirl50 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I weigh in once a week, every Monday morning, usually same time & almost no clothes. That way I feel its pretty consistent. I am former weight watcher so I try to make sure the day or so before my weigh in I avoid salty and other foods that could cause my weight to fluctuate. I know I couldn't go a whole month to weigh - but that is just me. Even when I ht my goal weight I will continue to weigh in weekly to keep myself accountable.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I weigh and measure myself the first Saturday (or Sunday) of each month.
    I don't obsess at much & I've got a healthier relationship with the scale.
    And really, I only weigh so I can rerun my numbers every month so I make sure I'm eating the right amount of calories.
    But I'm not really trying to lose weight at this point, if I do, I do lol
  • muayqis
    muayqis Posts: 72
    Options
    daily weigh ins on 2 separate scales.
    post bathroom .
    pre-drinking anything.
    don;t care what the scales say, punch the data into excel, and have excel figure out your average weight over the past 7 days.
    this works for me as it irons out the bumps and lumps