1 year annivesary for lifestyle change

Options
Happy Anniversary to me!

One year ago today I began my weight loss journey. As of today I’ve lost just shy of 80 pounds. This journey has been an extraordinary learning experience not only about my body but the process of weight loss and the mental and physical challenges that occur within this process. Although I haven’t reached my end goal weight yet, I’m very close and am very pleased with the past years successes.
I am often asked for advice or tips from others trying to lose weight. It’s actually a hard question to answer because there is not 1 thing that works for everyone when it comes to successful weight loss. Along with finding your own motivation, you have to want to succeed. You also have to believe it's possible, visualize what you're after and remember to keep moving forward no matter what setbacks real or perceived occur.
There are a few things you can do to help be successful and here are my top 5 suggestions.
1) Be consistent with your physical activity. Move your body daily, even if all you can do is walk.
2) Track everything you eat, for most of us what our minds track is not close to reality.
3) Set realistic goals, not only the long term one, but short term goals.
4) Try different approaches (exercise and food) until you find something that fits your life or goals.
5) Find a support group, website, or friend to support you along your journey.
There is no secret to weight loss, you don’t need a gym membership or fad diets to do it. You just need to expend more calories than you take in on a daily basis. There isn't 1 way to do it, there are many ways, which is why I say above to find what works for you.
A lot of people have told me i've motivated them or that i'm inspiring. Those were unexpected compliments and every time I hear them it is incredibly moving. For me to think I could inspire even 1 person to start down a healthier lifestyle is nothing short of amazing.
• Finally, I'd like to thank my friends and most importantly Steven for being so patient and understanding about the past year. My endless ramblings and worries over weight, food choices and body image were tiresome, tedious and irritating in the very least I know.
• To my friends that i've sacrificed time with so I wouldn't miss gym days, thank you for knowing that this journey to better health has to take a priority right now, but you will always be close to me and in my heart.
• To MFP (my fitness pal) friends that have supported me which are too many to name, thank you for the support and advice, this community has been and continues to be invaluable to me and this journey.
• To Hank, even though you won the bet, we are both winners in this and you added extremely valuable competitiveness to this process last year, and provided never ending motivation and inspiration.
• Finally I'm thankful for making this choice for myself and sticking to it for the past year. I'm so thankful to be off blood pressure meds completely, having normal cholesterol, blood sugar and liver enzyme levels, and not needing a CPAP anymore.
I have so much to be thankful for and i'm so very excited for the next year. Stay tuned it's going to be a page turner!

Goals for the coming year:
• Lose remaining 20 or so pounds
• Continue to lower body fat % and gain lean muscle mass
• Train for future Triathalon

Replies

• mfrkorey
    mfrkorey Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Congrats! You look incredible and it has obviously turned in to so much more than a weight loss story. You are doing great!!
  • lsumomma
    lsumomma Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hooray for you! I wish I could give you a big hug! Keep up the good work!
  • salgalbp
    salgalbp Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    You're adorable!!!! WAY TO GO! Love your post! Keep it up!
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    You rock Doug!
  • thisisgreatsmile
    thisisgreatsmile Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your post...way to go...you are amazing!!:flowerforyou:
  • doug4018
    doug4018 Posts: 130
    Options
    Thank you all!
  • jenillawafer
    jenillawafer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Bump! Very motivational. Congrats for sticking to your guns and pushing through your daily struggles! It's not an easy thing to do. Very proud of your accomplishment!
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Great story and awesome job! Hey, we're neighbors (I'm in Arlington)!
  • ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    *Fist pump!* Congrats on the success, way to put in that effort.
  • pattypureheart
    pattypureheart Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your great accomplishments! Now, are you a professional writer? I ask because this is truly a well written motivational piece! Thanks so much for sharing.
  • kakes80
    kakes80 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Be very proud of yourself!
  • adenium11
    adenium11 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Thats amazingly hard work and you did it well! Thanks for the inspiration!
  • doug4018
    doug4018 Posts: 130
    Options
    Thanks again everyone!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!