Mirena and weight LOSS?

Options
So I have been reading some weird stuff about this birth control I just got. Apperently some people actually LOSE weight with Mirena. I have only had it in for 2.5 days but I have noticed that I'm not very hungry at all. I dont know if it is because I still have some pretty bad cramps and am not feeling the best. Heck.. The smell of See's candy makes me ill (and it is one of my faves). Does anyone know anything about this?

Replies

• Jennisin1
    Jennisin1 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I've lost weight while on the Mirena.... not sure if it had anything to do with the Mirena or eating healthy and exercising... but I lost weight.
  • MNA76
    MNA76 Posts: 1,541
    Options
    I currently have the Mirena. I haven't had any issues with it affecting my weight loss - negatively or positively. I watch what I eat and exercise regularly. I did before I started Mirena and continue to do so. It's like it's not there.
  • renitawalker9
    Options
    I've had mirena for a year...no problem with weight loss or maintenance. in fact, I think it may have helped simply because I feel good most days instead of feeling bad most days so I can get my workout in or eat healthy or whatever.
  • mkat_nc
    mkat_nc Posts: 4
    Options
    Hey - I got mine in on 2/19 as well so we should monitor each other. I'm wondering how my body will react to this too.

I was an AWFUL birth control person, even gaining weight on Loestrin. I hated the way my body felt on BC pills so before having kids, my husband and I just decided on condom usage exclusively. My body regulated out and two kids & 8 years later, I thought Mirena might be the best option for me.

So far, spotting has completely stopped and I haven't noticed any negative reaction (not grumpy, no bloating, no weight gain). In fact, interestingly has been an increase in sex drive - a great and unexpected benefit.

Just wondering if anyone else might have had this history? What I seem to be finding in my online research are for women who hated how their body felt on estrogen BC (pills, etc), are doing well on Mirena. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
  • Narla444
    Narla444 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    In fact, interestingly has been an increase in sex drive - a great and unexpected benefit.

^^ Yes!
    I got mine at the beginning of Oct and the first couple weeks were amazing! Sort of leveled out now, but still higher than when I was on the pill. For me, part of it is not being worried about pregnancy - I was always terrible about taking the pill on time. I wanted to get the Mirena 3 years ago but I had to wait until a couple other health issues were sorted out.

I started working out regularly and joined MFP a month after getting the Mirena, so I can't contribute any weightloss to just the Mirena.

I had bad cramps on and off for a week or so after getting it, but once my body got used it everything's been fine.