Homemade baby food

Options
Hey everyone, new mom here and I love to make homemade baby food. I want some creative ideas for different foods as my son gets older though. So far, I've done: avocado, green beans, butternut squash, sweet potato, peas, banana, brown rice, and oatmeal.

Do you have any other suggestions that you've tried? Especially veggies! Nothing is too weird...I want him to like a wide variety of healthy foods! And do you mix any spices in? I've read that it's good to add the some mild spices in small amounts to introduce baby to new flavors, but I'm not sure which ones are good to try.

Replies

• christiandjoel
    christiandjoel Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    How old is ur baby? I feed my baby all the things u listed. I mix carrots & peas together for a different taste...u could throw spinach in there too. Bananas and avacado is a good combo. Im not too sure on the spices....i just like to offr foods in their natural state...no butter or anything. When hes a bit older, I will just mash up whatever food we ate eating for dinner & give it to him.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Have you seen the book "super baby food?" she talks about making lentil and bean porridges etc and using all the veggies you can.

My babies liked a "stew" I made of a tiny bit of sauteed onion, cauliflower, carrots and red lentils, pureed. Obviously, this was a later addition to their diet, after I'd introduced the ingredients separately.

If you eat spicy food yourself and are breastfeeding, your baby is already used to flavors! Many flavors pass through to breastmilk, and babies get used to the tastes of onions, garlic and such that way. In fact, my babies were much less interested in the ultra-bland jarred food than they were in more flavorful stuff.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Both my babies (now 19 and 13!) were fed ona lot of Anabel karmel recpes - her books are still available, and the first one was divided into age groups, plus each recipe had a smiley/frowney face so you can record what your baby likes.
  • kristanb05
    Options
    I used this site for all 3 of our kids. It breaks it into ages too. http://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com
  • bluskies01
    bluskies01 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    A lot of my friends get ideas from weelicious.com
  • daniellegwilliam
    daniellegwilliam Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    A lot of my friends get ideas from weelicious.com

great site!

My daughter loved sweet potato, cauliflower, zucchini, blueberries, carrot,
    her fave combo was blueberry carrot and spinach.
  • kmmuellr
    kmmuellr Posts: 19
    Options
    My wife and I did just about any veggie that we normally ate. Broccoli, squash, potato, whatever! When my son needed more calories we threw in butter!

K
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I used this site for all 3 of our kids. It breaks it into ages too. http://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com

I use this website, too. I even bought the book I like it so much!