How to make a low cal burger on the grill ? ? ? ?

Options
I wanna make a burger on the grill but for about 400 calories....any ideas???

Replies

• quinnybear
    quinnybear Posts: 243
    Options
    use a veggie burger or a turkey burger and low fat cheese. you don't use any oil on a grill so you don't have to worry about calories coming from that. you can find vegan boca burgers for 70 calories and extra lean ground turkey breast is about 120 cal for 4 ounces (pre-cooked weight). or if you must have beef, extra lean ground beef (4%) is around 130 calories for 4 ounces (pre-cooked weight)
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    You could try mixing 1/2 meat with 1/2 portabella or black beans....
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options

Love your idea. Do you already have a recipe you use?
  • tiffanygil
    tiffanygil Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    use ground round..... about 3 0z is around 230 cals and 1 bun is about 100 cals
    load it with veggies and enjoy with mustard and 2 tablespoons of ketchup.
  • rosemary10
    rosemary10 Posts: 253
    Options
    Yeah, and use one of those thin buns for the bread.
  • immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    Options
    Wonder how half ground round, half ground turkey breast would work out... ??
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I like to use 100 calorie thin buns or english muffins.... or just wrap in lettuce and skip the calories from the bun!

"Big Mac" for under 400 calories.......
    100 calorie english muffin - lightly toasted
    mix ketchup & fat free mayo for the spread
    1 lean ground turkey breast
    1 slice of fat free american cheese
    1 boca burger
    top with lettuce and tomato
  • immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    Options
    These garbanzo bean burgers were really good! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/91326-garlic-garbanzo-bean-burgers?hl=garbanzo#posts-1261836

(I added greek seasoning and used a little hummus and greek yogurt as my condiments)
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I do an Italian twist to my burgers sometimes. The following is what I use:

4oz Honeysuckle White - 97% Fat Free Ground White Turkey (140 cals)
    1/6 cup low-fat part skim mozzarella cheese (40 cals)
    1/8 cup Prego 100%Natural - Heart Smart Traditional Italian Sauce (18 cals) - instead of ketchup
    1 Oroweat honey wheat sandwich thins (100 cals) - instead of normal hamburger bun

Total calories: 298

Delicious!
  • belldandy1
    belldandy1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • glines
    glines Posts: 6
    Options
    I shouldn't read these threads - it's 3 hours until dinner and I'm starving now!
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Don't know if it's available around you, but try to find ground bison or bison burgers. They're really low cal and really, really, really low fat. It tastes just like beef.... Actually, better.
  • jrlenig
    jrlenig Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    The Jenni O Turkey burgers are great they have a bacony taste to them, and I pass on the cheese all together, and load up on toppings, like sauteed mushrooms and onions( in parkay spray), or tomatoes, and a slice of turkey bacon, and I like to have 2 that's right, 2 becuase one burger is never enough, so I will either skip the bun or use one bun for 2 burgers! ( and for under 400 calories!)
    Lean Turkey Burger Patties (Jenny O's)
    Serving Size: 1 patty 112 g 4 oz, Calories: 170, Fat: 8g, Carbs: 0g, Protein: 23g
  • Kwilliams75
    Kwilliams75 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/mozzarella_stuffed_turkey_burgers.html

I haven't tried this yet but it looks wonderful!!
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options

Love your idea. Do you already have a recipe you use?

I don't. I usually just make it up as I go. I would finley chop the mushrooms or beans in a food processor, or by hand. Maybe toss some Italian seasoning in, or something with a Mexican flare if I was using the beans. Mabye an egg to hold it together.
    Top with a ton of letuce, tomato, onion, mustard. Mmmmm. I'm getting hungry and think I found what I'm having for dinner.
    LOL!
  • cfischer81
    cfischer81 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Why not just have a "real" burger made with extra lean ground beef? It's easy to have a burger under 400 calories!
  • canstey
    canstey Posts: 118
    Options
    Why not just have a "real" burger made with extra lean ground beef? It's easy to have a burger under 400 calories!
    +1. I love to grill burgers on my Big Green Egg and 4 oz (1/4 pounder) of lower fat meat like lean ground beef or ground sirloin will meet your requirements just fine. The other is to make them even smaller and stick with just one burger. A 4oz burger is rather filling.
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I like to make my own with 500g lean minced beef (should make at least 4-6), 2 grated carrots, a grated zucchini - mix it all up with an egg to bind, some breadcrumbs (maybe a couple of tablespoons?) and some ketchup or bbq sauce.

I like vegies but also, you barely notice them and the patties are very moist.
  • sundinsgurl
    sundinsgurl Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Heres a burger that I am trying tonite.. Im going to have it on Irresistables Multigrain Flatbread (which is 170 cal and 2 g of fat) so just 2.7 cals over 400 for the burger and bread.

Ranch Cheddar Turkey Burgers

Ingredients
    1 lb lean ground turkey
    1 (1 ounce) envelope dry ranch dressing mix
    1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (low fat)
    1/4 cup chopped green onion (scallion)

Directions
    1mix all ingredients together in bowl.
    2form into 4 patties
    3cook in skillet or on grill until cooked through, appox. 6-7 minute per side.
    4serve on buns with lettuce and tomato

Number of Servings: 4
    Calories: 232.7
    • Total Fat: 10.0 g
    • Cholesterol: 85.9 mg
    • Sodium: 798.2 mg
    • Total Carbs: 5.4 g
    • Dietary Fiber: 0.2 g
    • Protein: 29.0 g