should I walk everyday?

Options
I have just started a new diet/excersie plan and got a treadmill. I am walking a mile a day on it which is taking like 20 minutes (seems like a long time to do a mile). Should I do this 7 days a week? My husband said you are supposed to skip days but I thought that was for like weight lifing. I thought with walking you should do it everyday. ?

Replies

• iRun_Butterfly
    iRun_Butterfly Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I am a walker too, I usually do two or three days in a row and take a day off. Depends on my schedule or how I'm feeling. Since you are not doing a super hard core work out or running, I personally don't see a reason to go every other day. Once you build up to more, listen to your muscles and pay attention to how you are feeling, you'll know if/when you need a break.
  • cherio256
    cherio256 Posts: 219
    Options
    well I started walking 13 days ago and have only skipped 1 day. I have not walked yet today. I have nothing better to do. My legs have been kinda sore for about a week, but not too bad. I'm just being lazy
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    yep, I DO!
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I try to get in at least 30 minutes of cardio every day, whether it's walking, running, or just going up and down my staircase a lot (since I don't have access to any exercise machines). I don't think that walking every day is going to hurt you, and you will start seeing results a lot quicker than if you only do it on alternating days. Good luck!
  • suzscott72
    suzscott72 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I agree with Ms.Sheddy, unless your really sore or are training hard, I dont see any reason not to walk every day. I have a rotten head cold this week, so I am just doing what I feel up to. One evening it was 45 min and today only 15.

Listen to your body but not your mind's excuses, if that makes sense!
  • skidoo1122
    Options
    I would agree that walking 1 mile everyday would be fine. When you start increasing it just listen to your body. If you feel you need a day off take it. I have been tracking my exercise for 8 weeks and have skipped 3 days. Keep up the good work.
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    You can do cardio every day. Walking, jogging, biking. Work it into your life however you can. The weight training is the one where you skip every other day to give your muscle groups recovery time.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    I have just started a new diet/excersie plan and got a treadmill. I am walking a mile a day on it which is taking like 20 minutes (seems like a long time to do a mile). Should I do this 7 days a week? My husband said you are supposed to skip days but I thought that was for like weight lifing. I thought with walking you should do it everyday. ?

there is a whole movement out there that believes that 10,000 steps per day is the single best way to extend your life and to lead a long and healthy life. obviously, the evidence is anecdotal, but the more you walk, the more active you are. the more active you are, the less likely you will be to become obese and the fewer long term medical problems you will experience. etc.

our bodies are built to walk every day and you do walk every day anyway, so adding that extra specific cardio won't hurt you unless you have an injury or are trying to gain weight/muscle and the cardio puts you into a calorie deficit.
  • tisha_rae
    tisha_rae Posts: 216 Member
    Options

There is nothing wrong with walking everyday - when I train for races I run 4 to 5 days and then rest.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    You need to rest when you push your body hard. . .is walking a 20 minute mile hard? Are your muscles weak & shaky after the work out? Do you sweat so profusely you should probably hit the shower? If not. . .then a daily walk is great. I take days off in between lifting weights (even though I'm not hard core with it) and I take days off between hard runs (I'll do back to back easy runs). But anything that puts a big strain on my body earns me a day of rest from that activity.

If you want, switch between walking an a low impact aerobic DVD. . .changes the way the muscles are challenged and minimizes the already low risk for overuse issues.
  • KAR1959
    KAR1959 Posts: 4,270 Member
    Options
    I try to walk 5-6 days a week. With Sunday off and sometimes Tuesday when I go into the office.
  • bdenitto
    bdenitto Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Unless you have an injury or other physical problem, go for it!
  • legnarevocrednu
    legnarevocrednu Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I think rest days are important, but I think you can do 20 minutes of walking every day. It's not super strenuous and it's not like you need to let your muscles repair from that. If you can, do it! Side suggestion: Over time, gradually increase your speed/distance.
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I don't really count walking as exercise, I use it to increase my "activity" or NEAT.

Walking everyday is good for you.
  • cmecklenborg
    cmecklenborg Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Light cardio is fine to do daily. If you work up to long distances or jogging/running, you'll probably want to switch to every-other-day.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Yes, walk every day! Every other day, spend a few minutes walking faster than normal just walk as fast as you can for a minute, go back to your normal pace, repeat.

So, today, walk like you normally do.
    Tomorrow, walk normal for five minutes, the start alternating between normal and fast for ten minutes, then walk normal again for five minutes
    Sunday walk normal...
  • wildfirediva
    Options
    I walk everyday but that includes my walks to and from work, to and from the gym and to and from most of my favorite places near home. I average 4 miles a day without including my time on elliptical or treadmills at the gym (which I do as a warm up before weight lifting). Nothing wrong with walking that pace every day but I would choose days to challenge yourself to pick up the pace on add a little incline or weight (ankle, wrist or weight vest) or weight training .

My goal is 10,000 steps/day (3,000 steps for me = 1 mile, I am 5'2"). This is also the # of steps many drs and fitness sites recommend as a goal to increase activity.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I don't really count walking as exercise, I use it to increase my "activity" or NEAT.

Walking everyday is good for you.

I'm the same way. Rest days are for giving your muscles time to heal, and to avoid overtraining. I don't think walking a mile a day is going to cause you problems with either of those things.
  • petechiae
    petechiae Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Any exercise is good exercise. Even though the recommended amount is 30 minutes a day, 3 times a week, I do believe that you should not stop yourself at that. This is the minimum requirement.

I've been told that the only situation in which a rest day is required, is when you do strength training. When you do strength training, your muscles literally break, and they need time and protein in order to reconstruct themselves. This is why it is not recommended to lift weights every single day of the week. In my case, I do my strength training on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays and my cardio training on Tuesdays and Thursdays. This way, I always make sure that my muscles get a little rest.

I do not think it is required to have an intense workout every day, but sweating a -little- bit every day will not hurt you at all. If you don't feel like doing it, just start at 3 times a week. You could start at one if you want. Then, little by little, as you build up the habit, increase the frequence and the longevity of your walks.

A good way to be motivated is to keep an audiobook on hand only for this activity and listen to it while you are walking. As you get into the story, you might crave your walks even more.
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    I see you've gotten the answer your looking for, but I wanted too chime in and say Heck yea walk everyday. :flowerforyou: