1200 calorie diet

Options
I would like to have some suggestions on what I can eat at breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks on a 1200 calorie diet? What would be a good calorie breakdown for each meal?

Replies

• BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    I have cereal for breakfast, fruit for a snack, cheese stick for a snack, then salad for lunch, then a yogurt for a snack and I try to make sure I have 500 calories left for dinner.
  • try cereals or boiled eggs in the morning without the yellow portion. They will provide adequate protien and really low in calories just 17 for each boiled egg. Lunch you can have any thing you can spare 500-600 calories for lunch which can include sandwhich or any other home made food, this will provide energy for rest of the day. Evening you can have salad and soup.... that way you can do easily in 1200... you can have some fruit as a snack in between if you feel hungry.... best of luck
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    oat meal for breakfast, (always not because I like it but because it sticks with me)
    snack pear
    lunch a 100 calorie soup
    snack 100 calorie popcorn
    dinner a smart ones
    desert fat free jello pudding
    I feel like I am eating all the time!
  • 2moonNback
    2moonNback Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have a Dannon Light and Fit Greek Yogurt for breakfast, a light cheese stick or 90 calorie Fiber One bar for snack, Progresso Light soup for lunch, repeat of snack, then I usually have about 800+ calories for dinner. If I have enough calories I can usually have a Skinny Cow ice cream sandwich for an evening snack too! I drink TONS of water through out the day and if I get a sweet tooth craving Extra Lemon Bar gum satisfies the craving and gives me something to chew on. I am very rarely hungry. I stager my snacks so that I eat a snack or meal every couple hours. Good Luck!
  • anewlife4me8610
    anewlife4me8610 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I stay at 1200 calories a day ...you can look at my food journal, its open. I eat 3 meals a day and two snacks on most occasions. if you really want some great ideas you can get the book, 400 calorie fix. It has thousands of meal ideas all for 400 calories or less. its a great book. I usually have a Greek yogurt in the am, then a hard boiled egg for snack a couple hours later, then at lunch I have a large salad with lots of veggies and 2 to 3 ounces of chicken or turkey... couple hours later, an apple or banana...then dinner 4 to 6 ounces of what ever meat I am eating, rice or potato and a steamed veggie of some sort. after dinner if I still have avail calories, I have a skinny cow ice cream bar (100 calories or less) all the while during the day I am drinking water, Lots of water.
  • sunforme3
    sunforme3 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal half a cup wit one cup fat free milk, load it with some fresh fruit, it's very filling. The Quaker 1 minute quick oats are great, can be prepared in microwave, uch better option than prepackaged oatmeal. Fruit, nonfat yogurt and low fat cheese sticks are great snacks. Load each meal with veggies and you'll feel like your eating alot more than 1200 cals. Good luck!!!
  • meworkma
    meworkma Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm a girl of routine I suppose. For breakfast, I alternate between apples and cinnamon oatmeal, Special K cereal with fresh blueberries and almond milk, or scrambled eggs and spinach. Mid-morning, I have a snack which is always fruit (apple, raisins, grapes, or banana). For lunch, I usually have leftovers from dinner from the night before, a Smart Ones or Lean Cuisine (because they are quick to throw in my lunchbox if I am in a hurry), a PB sandwich and an apple, or maybe some soup and a side salad. MId-afternoon, I usually have a yogurt as a snack. Dinner is wide open. Examples of things I make are turkey chili, stuffed peppers, chicken pot pie (light version), spaghetti, frozen pizza (on busy nights), pork chops and veggies, etc. I have a sweet tooth, so I usually make sure I have room in my calories for a couple of squares of dark chocolate. I also go to the gym 4 or 5 days a week. I also drink LOTS of water throughout the day. This helps me to feel full. If I have the munchies, sometimes I just chew gum. Hope this helps!
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I spread mine out pretty much 250-300 for each 3 meals with a 100-150 cal snack in between. Get between 3/4 to 1 gram of protein per pound of Lean Body Mass, plenty of healthy fats from nuts, avocados, etc, and lots of nonstarch veggies. Also usually 1 serving of fruit a day.
    I stay away from processed sugar and grains, but occasionally have some higher fiber bread products. Lower sugar/simple carbs levels helps keep the cravings away and keeps my blood sugar steady. Higher protein and healthy fats help keep me satisfied so I can easily stay within my necessary calorie goal, which is an appropriate level for me.

ETA-
    Also for me, a LCHF diet works well. My macros are around 20%Carb/30%Pro/50%Fat.

A good balance for many people's macros is 40% Carb/30%Pro/30%Fat. I started at that ratio, then have evolved into where I am now.

I read your other post where you stated you were at maintenance now and were doing 1800 cals a day. If you are at or close to your goal weight, then the 1200 calorie level might not be appropriate for you now. Make sure you know what your actual TDEE is and try to eat within 300 cals of that amount . If you have been eating at a lower level than that, then you might want to slowly up your cals so you don't gain.
  • clemson20
    clemson20 Posts: 13
    Options
    This morning I did1/2 cup of oatmeal, 1/2 cup of 1% low fat milk, tablespoon of planters nutrition wholesome nuts, and little over a half of a small gala apple. The calories added up to 307 calories.
    My doctor told me I would have to eat 1800 calories to maintain at 138 pounds.
    The nutritionist told me it would be 1400 calories to maintain.
  • Fit_French
    Fit_French Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Ch,Eco out my food diary, it's public and you might get some ideas. I'm usually dairy free as I lose fat faster when I'm not stuffing my face with cheese
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Breakfast: (usually one of the following)
    Oatmeal 20g + 50g of fresh frozen fruit (berries usually) + 2tsp brown sugar (sometimes, not always) 140 cal (all cooked together)
    2 Eggs (cooked any style) + 1/2 tbsp olive oil (if fried) + slice of whole grain, low cal bread (sometimes) 250 cal
    1 Egg + Oatmeal 20g+ 50g fresh fruit 185 cal
    Greek Yogurt with fruit 140 cal
    2 Eggs + Bacon + cheese 240 cal

Other meals:
    Chicken + veggies + brown rice (1/2 cup) 250 cal
    Beef + veggies 300 cal
    Canned Tuna + veggies 200 cal
    Tuna Salad (small amount of light mayo) celery, apples, relish 250 cal
    Veggie stir fry (zucchini, squash, carrots, broccoli, teriyaki sauce) 150 cal add shrimp or other lean protein 250-300 cal
    Baked sweet potato depending on size 150-250 cal plus protein side 350 cal

Snacks
    Fruits (an apple, a mango, a couple plums, grapes, etc...)
    Veggies (celery, carrots, broccoli, etc...)
    Protein shake (protein powder mixed with water 93-140 cal)
    Nuts (sunflower seeds or pistachios) 130 cal
    Ice cream/gelato 130-150 cal
    Oatmeal with fruit 110 cal

I pretty much just try to figure out what I want then figure out what portion size that food needs to be to fit in my calorie goals. I add quite a bit of veggies to all my meals to keep the calories low and keep me satisfied.