Peanut Butter

Options
I have recently become addicted to peanut butter but the calories! :(
Does anyone make their own? Any low(er) cal recipes? Or any other suggestions to replace peanut butter?

Replies

• aarikadanielle
    Options
    I have the same issue right now!!!! I think it is because my body is craving the healthy fats and I feel like I can't get enough peanut butter. A good alternative is PB2! You can buy it at Fred Meyer in the health food section. It doesn't taste like Jiffy peanut butter but it does taste pretty good and it is about 45 calories for 2 tbsp.
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I recently bought some PB2 because I also have a peanut butter addiction! The first time I tried it I didn't care for it, but it's actually grown on me. I think it's a good substitute considering how low it is in calories.
  • aarikadanielle
    Options
    I recently bought some PB2 because I also have a peanut butter addiction! The first time I tried it I didn't care for it, but it's actually grown on me. I think it's a good substitute considering how low it is in calories.
    I used to hate Peanut Butter, but now I eat it almost everyday. If i need the extra calories I will just eat regular PB, but if I don't have the calories to spare and I am having a major craving I will just use PB2! But I so prefer original PB, but I do like PB2
  • Kanuenue
    Kanuenue Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue right now!!!! I think it is because my body is craving the healthy fats and I feel like I can't get enough peanut butter. A good alternative is PB2! You can buy it at Fred Meyer in the health food section. It doesn't taste like Jiffy peanut butter but it does taste pretty good and it is about 45 calories for 2 tbsp.

Doesn't PB2 kinda negate the nutritional benefits of Peanut butter? If you want peanut taste I can see it as a recipe ingredient in certain situations. Though, by powdering it- they have removed all those wonderful monounsaturated fats and they still add sugar to it! Why complicate and devalue something that is so great on its own?

I love peanut butter but I go all natural, single ingredient: Ground Peanuts. I just keep it a thin spread on my toast or apples and then I rarely need more than a tablespoon to get my fix.
  • 8Sam12
    8Sam12 Posts: 61
    Options
    I'm a bit confused on what PB2 is? Looks like a powder? How do I use it?
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Does anyone make their own? Any low(er) cal recipes? Or any other suggestions to replace peanut butter?

the lowest calorie real peanut butter you can get is by taking whole peanuts and mashing them yourself. Peanut butter is a nut, therefore calorie dense. If you want real peanut butter, you have to deal with the caloires. Why are you eating so much of it? Maybe your body is trying to tell you to feed it more of something that you are depriving it of? Protein perhaps?

PB2 is a powder.. it's not real peanut butter, it just tastes like it. You add it to milk or water or yogurt to turn it into peanut butter. I think it's gross and i have a jar of it. (Unfortunately, cause I don't throw away food, so I have to find some way to eat it.. *sigh*). You're much better off from a nutrition stadpoint just dealing ith the calories and finding something else to nosh on after your 1st helping of peanut butter.

I have a tablespoon a day spread on an apple, unless I'm too full from breakfast/lunch to eat.. then it gets skipped. Although today for some reason I am craving it although not hungry. Never understood that.. craving something but not being hungry enough to eat it.. weird..

My suggestion on replacing peanut butter is this: DON'T. It's very good for you. Just control how much of it you consume.

ETA: I looked at your diary.. You've eaten it once this week and that was today.. and 1/2 tablespoon. That's barely any. I don't think you really have a problem with peanut butter. I just think you don't want to give up the other foods in order to fit this one in.
  • skidoo1122
    Options
    I haven't found anything I like. Somehow I make Jif work into my day. I love it.
  • NinjaTheGinger
    NinjaTheGinger Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I never have a problem squeezing peanut butter into my calorie goal, if you want it bad enough make room for it. Simple and easy.
  • diaryofaskinnygirl
    Options
    I've seen recipes on the internet where PB is blended with a banana to make it lower cal. I tried it with nutella and it was very nice :) Might satisfy your craving!
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I think PB2 is worth trying if you love peanut butter so much. I haven't tried it myself, but heard the cals are considerably lower compared to regular PB. It's easy to to be addicted to PB, so I totally understand! :D
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Look for a natural peanut butter without any added oil or sugar. PB2 has sugar added to it.
  • XRavenhood
    XRavenhood Posts: 102
    Options
    I'm a peanut butter addict so I've decided to stay away from it when I can, because addiction is dangerous and, once you get it out of your system for enough days, you don't crave it anymore. I don't believe this strong addiction is healthy. I'm also addicted to chocolate in general, and that's not something I need for my body to function at its prime. Also, there's been debate about the healthiness of peanut butter for a long time, so I don't know what to make of that. And, this whole 45 calorie peanut butter... Stay away from it - There's just other stuff in the way. As long as the fats come from a wholesome source, like avocado, it's alright, just eat it in moderation. Seriously, it's the artificial ingredients that can mess you up or even get you more addicted to the stuff. If I do eat peanuu=t butter, I get the natural stuff - Watch out as some labeled "natural" still aren't just peanut butter. it's so much tastier and has a much better flavor.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options

1. Why would you ever want to replace peanut butter?

2. The rawest ingredients in peanut butter are peanuts . . . so unless you're eating Skippy brand (or another brand with added sugar and oil) you're unlikely to find a replacement . . . unless of course you want to go down the whole PB2 route . . . :frown:
  • benflando
    benflando Posts: 193
    Options
    PB2 - powder form of pntbutter and tastes great.
  • andraj47
    andraj47 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi - my name is Andrea. I know my sister-in-law makes her own peanut butter. She buys powder on line and mixes it with water.
    You can look up powder on line. Hope this helps. Good Luck!
  • eloisemonteiro
    eloisemonteiro Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I LOVE PB and it's so healthy, you shouldn't replace for anything else, oatmeal + pb = god's send
    E eat almost every day and it's just 100 calories per spoon, be sure you are measuring right and enjoy it, no guilty at all.