Do you give yourself a "cheat day"?

Options
I have heard some people who are dieting say that they have 1 day a week where they eat whatever they want. Does anyone here do that? Do you still lose weight?

It always seems like there is 1 day over the weekend where we are at an event of something and I would love to be able to not worry about counting calories. We have a wedding this weekend for one of my husband's coworkers and I would LOVE to be able to have some champagne and cake and not worry about it! :drinker:

Replies

• AlynnP1005
    AlynnP1005 Posts: 195
    Options
    I dont give myself a "cheat day" becaues honestly, I know myself and I would eat everything I could if I did. I do however give myself a "cheat meal" a week, and a "cheat treat" a week. I space them out so it helps with the feelings of deprivation lol
  • atcgrrb8
    atcgrrb8 Posts: 11
    Options
    I end up with at least one unplanned "cheat day" every week, mostly to not offend at a family meal and it would be almost impossible to track that day. If I planned a cheat day I would end up with two bad days. IMO it's better to not plan one since it's hard enough as is.
  • nopeekiepeekie
    nopeekiepeekie Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I won't cheat a whole day, but maybe one meal in a week. But then, it depends on the week.

When I was doing WW, we would go out for dinner after our weigh ins. It kept me on track, until I gave up on WW that is. :blushing:
  • vinjama
    vinjama Posts: 52
    Options
    Dont give myself a cheat day, But I do give my self a cheat meal.. one or maybe two each week
  • AngelaU1971
    Options
    Good points. Maybe I won't do a "planned" cheat day this weekend, but I'll give myself a little freedom at the wedding :tongue: Thanks!
  • xTattooedDollx
    xTattooedDollx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I never have cheat days, but if I know I'm having champagne and cake ill fit it into my calorie budget.
  • joanna_marie
    Options
    If I had a cheat day I would end up spending the entire day eating anything and everything! I am an all or nothing girl - and for me, I find that sticking rigidly to a diet is the only way I can lose weight.

The problem comes when cravings totally overtake my rational self and I cannot stop myself from bingeing - which probably explains why I have spent my entire life yo-yoing in weight.
  • MsSarahJoy
    Options
    This is really helpful. I'm so new to all of this, I find myself not counting meals on the weekend, and that can turn disastrous quickly. I think two or so "cheat meals" is a great idea!
  • SNR106
    SNR106 Posts: 2
    Options
    I think everything is good in moderation, so by NOT eating the cake and/or drinking the champagne, it could affect you psychologically. Instead, maybe share a piece or take a bite of someone's. Sharing is my tip of the week, it is such an economical thing (at restaurants) and really helps with portion control.
  • balfonso
    balfonso Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I don't give myself a "cheat day" but if there's an event that I have to attend to, then I would eat smaller portions and somehow fit those portions within my calorie goal for the day, and work my *kitten* off the next day on exercising.
  • CassieSeymour
    CassieSeymour Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You have to be careful with "cheating" because then it can spiral into cheating just a little bit once in a while, which eventually becomes every day. What I do instead is allow myself 1 sweet each day (usually a sugar free rice pudding with cinnamon) this really does satisfy my desire to eat sweets. Hope that helps!
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    I give myself a cheat item....On sundays its a ice cream cone

And everyother saturday we go to the movies....I try and eat healthy.... but I treat myself to a candy of some sort and a ICEE but I ensure I worked out that day and my meals are good

Memorial day was my first full cheat day in two months....I just pigged out and didnt watch anything

But I dont give a whole day each week
  • OpalFruitJam
    OpalFruitJam Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I try not to because if I have a cheat day it can sometimes turn into a cheat week.
    And that's what I've been doing the past week! Today is my re-start and I hit the gym again tomorrow!
  • Alita2011
    Alita2011 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I weigh-in on Saturdays. If on that day I want something I get it. I don't go crazy so its not an all day thing. But lately I find myself still eye balling the serving size and looking up the calories to make sure I am making the best choice. So if I chose to get a hamburger I get the one with the lowest calories and without a bun.

I think its all about make better choices than it is about cheating that's what got us here in the first place. LOL
  • mrsfloisand
    mrsfloisand Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I agree with most everyone on here. I don't give my self a "cheat" exactly. I just modify my calorie intake for they day so I can allow myself a few more calories if I'm going out for sushi or whatever. I modify if I know that an event is coming up. If its more a surprise or unexpected I take whatever with moderation, a little bite of ice cream at a family event, or a small portion of a small piece of pizza isn't going to hurt you, just remember to make the best choice. Its a lifestyle change to improve our health.
  • jleydon
    jleydon Posts: 7
    Options
    I don't give myself a cheat day"because honestly, I haven't "outlawed" anything from my diet. I do try to make good decisions each meal. I try to choose healthy foods in managed portions. That said, if I want to have a beer or two, or an ice cream cone, or a couple of slices of pizza I do so without remorse or guilt and know that I will have to "pay the treadmill" eventually. I have found that I am more likely to fall off the bandwaggon if I deny myself whatever I am craving. For me portion control is more important than limiting food groups. Also, remember that the scale is not necessarilly your friend. By that I mean that you can loose inches by working out (looking and feeling better) without "loosing weight" (because you are replacing bulky fat tissue with lean muscle tissue).

As for the weekend, enjoy the wedding, have a piece of cake and a sip (or two) of champaigne and stick your overall plan of loosing weight over time. Weight loss is a marathon, not a sprint.:drinker:
  • Tillymintball
    Options
    I have lost 28lbs since January by eating 1,200 calories from Monday to Thursday and eating and drinking whatever I want on Friday to Sunday. This is because in the past when I have dieted, the weight has returned as soon as I stopped whereas this is now a habit for me that is sustainable. I exercise more at weekends so burn more off anyway. By varying my intake I haven't really had a plateau either and don't feel deprived at all. Work days are now more structured and weekends are for enjoying myself. I totally understand that this wouldn't work for everybody but it's kept me thinner, healthier and happier! Good luck with whatever you decide upon.
  • AngelaU1971
    Options
    Thanks everybody :happy:
  • AngelaU1971
    Options
    I have lost 28lbs since January by eating 1,200 calories from Monday to Thursday and eating and drinking whatever I want on Friday to Sunday. This is because in the past when I have dieted, the weight has returned as soon as I stopped whereas this is now a habit for me that is sustainable. I exercise more at weekends so burn more off anyway. By varying my intake I haven't really had a plateau either and don't feel deprived at all. Work days are now more structured and weekends are for enjoying myself. I totally understand that this wouldn't work for everybody but it's kept me thinner, healthier and happier! Good luck with whatever you decide upon.

Hmmm...interesting!!
  • Allibaba
    Allibaba Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Last summer my bf and I tried to get healthy and we had a cheat day, but it got out of control so we don't really do that anymore. But usually I give myself a bit of a break on the weekends. I am in a good structured schedule here so I find it easy to stay on the ball (I am eating 3 meals and 2 snacks) but when I sleep in on the weekends I get off the routine. I try to still make good choices even when I "cheat", and I ask myself if the taste is really worth it when I am working so hard to be healthy. But I also don't deprive myself since that leads to bingeing.