Does anyone know why this happens?

Options
Does anyone know why the toes on my left foot always go numb about halfway through my cardio sessions? It doesn't matter if I'm on the elliptical, treadmill, running outside, whatever, about 15 minutes in my toes are numb and tingling. I've tried new shoes, different socks, tightened my laces, loosened my laces.. nothing stops it.

Replies

• StarryEyedGirl
    Options
    this happens to me too! doesn't matter what shoes I wear either....
  • sandara
    sandara Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    No idea why it happens but my right foot does the same thing. :ohwell:
  • jermee
    jermee Posts: 15
    Options
    Your shoes may be too tight. my wife had this problem and bought a 1/2 size bigger and it does not happen anymore. Your feet swell during exercise and can cause poor blood circulations to that area. Just a thought.
  • enromero
    enromero Posts: 104
    Options
    I read in a magazine that u need to make sure ur shoes fit a lil loose. My feet have done that for as long as I can remember, but I just noticed today that I made it through 35 min on the elliptical and it didnt happen at all!! Also make sure u r well hydrated...I drink atleast 100 oz of water (not counting coffee or flavored water) a day. But I have also read that it is completly normal and nothing to worry about. HTH

Erin
    sw 3/1/10- 241
    cw 5/30/10- 209
  • Kath15
    Kath15 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    My husband subscribes to Runners magazine and one day I read that it is good for runners to use sneakers that are a half size bigger because their feet swell. So, the previous poster may be right on the money.
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    The same thing happens to me when I'm on the elliptical, I just thought I was strange lol
    I'll try loosening my laces on the one shoe, I know one foot is a bit bigger then the other so that might be it :smile:
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad someone asked this. I also thought it was just me!

I have loosened my shoes quite a bit and it seems to help.
  • thomacj06
    thomacj06 Posts: 1
    Options
    The same thing happens to me. About half way through a long run my foot would go numb, almost like it was falling asleep. I did some research on different running forums and found also that most people said it was because your shoes are too tight. I tired loosening my laces and it didn't do anything so I bought sneakers a half a size bigger (but still tight enough to run in) and it seemed to do the trick! I can do for a long run and my foot does not go numb anymore! Good luck, I know it is super annoying!
  • rvrbarb
    rvrbarb Posts: 7
    Options
    Wish I knew. It happens to my right toes while doing eliptical. I can do other cardo and it does not happen. It's only on the eliptical! Go figure! LOL
  • NWgardener
    NWgardener Posts: 28
    Options
    I had this problem a few years ago. My doctor diagnosed plantar fasciitis. Therapy for PF was not helping, so I went to a podiatrist. He diagnosed simple swelling between my tendons--the outside half of my foot would tingle and feel like it was asleep. He gave me two cortisone shots and it has never bothered me again. The cortisone apparently inhibits swelling and gives your foot time to heal. The cortisone shots were unpleasant, but they worked and it was a blessing to be rid of that feeling.
  • saraketner
    saraketner Posts: 53
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! I'm going to try loosing my laces. My boss actually told me that when she used to run long distances she would skip the bottom holes when lacing her shoes to keep her toes from going numb. Hopefully this helps because I just bought these shoes!!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    could be the sneakers, but it could also be your body, could just be that you have a nerve that rubs against a bone or is squeezed by some muscle or something like that, and because it's only happening during activity, it's probably a muscle that doesn't receive heavy usage during normal activity or a bone that doesn't make that angle during less strenuous usage..

If easing up your sneakers doesn't work, you could have your posture checked by a doctor, in some cases, especially with nerves, acupuncturists and/or chiropractors can fix the issue as well.