Why so little protein allowed?

Options
Hey to everyone out there!
I am a new member (only 2 days old) and I am over on my protein both days...I don't have that much in my daily diet. Isn't protein good for you? UGH!

Replies

• tisha_rae
    tisha_rae Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    are you using the preset number MFP set for you?
    You can change it yourself if you want - I eat at 35% carbs, 45% protein and 20% Fat.

Go to the goals tab to change it.
  • tammyknaak
    tammyknaak Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much!! What a difference few minor adjustments make!
  • michellemason3152
    Options
    I'm useing the pre-set goals, because honestly I don't know what I should be eating to lose weight. I assumed they were pre-set based on the questions asked, but it seems like everyone starts with about the same. Iam also having trouble with protein. I walk on the treadmill 90 minutes a day, so I get a little more, but still go over. I go over on protein everyday. Now that they have added sodium and sugar, I go over on that too. I am curious why they don't calculate fiber Anyway.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    US protein recommendations. They're a joke. Feel free to up your protein.
  • niftyafterfifty
    niftyafterfifty Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    You need protein and healthy fats in order to lose weight.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Change your protein % in your goals, a good ratio is 40% carb, 30% protein and 30% fat. I however use a 45% Protein, 35% carbs and 20% fat ratio as I try to get a lot of protein for the exercise I usually do. I would never suggest going lower than 20% fat though, you need it, more than you'd think :)
  • kwilliams386
    kwilliams386 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    From my understanding the presets for protein is a minimum daily recommendation. I have been seeing mine at about 40% in most calculators whereas MFP has it set to 15%. I say eat up!
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Several of MFP's numbers should be viewed as minimums rather than maximums. The red numbers are deceiving.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Hey Tammy! Yes protein is really important for repairing and maintaining muscle tissue and satiety. I strive for at least 90g per day, but I think the original MFP settings had the limit at around 50 or 60g. It really should suggest a minimum and not a max!
  • thecakelocker
    thecakelocker Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Try and get at least 90-100g per day.
  • Klem4
    Klem4 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I use 40/30/30 macros currently. protein is good! yum yum.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    because protein can make you bulky
  • dmaloof2013
    dmaloof2013 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I'm useing the pre-set goals, because honestly I don't know what I should be eating to lose weight. I assumed they were pre-set based on the questions asked, but it seems like everyone starts with about the same. Iam also having trouble with protein. I walk on the treadmill 90 minutes a day, so I get a little more, but still go over. I go over on protein everyday. Now that they have added sodium and sugar, I go over on that too. I am curious why they don't calculate fiber Anyway.

You can go into your setting in your food diary and chose what you want to focus on. For me, I am focusing on carbs, sodium, fiber, protein, fat, and obviously calories. But you can chose what ever you want to focus on. So if you don't want to focus on the sugars, change it to fiber instead :-)
  • scottandros
    Options
    Protein is key for maintaining (and possibly increasing) muscle mass. If you don't have enough protein daily, as you lose weight this will be a combination of fat and muscle.

Im guessing the fat is what you want to lose and not muscle as if you do lose muscle mass it also affects your bodies ability to burn calories. In the perfect scenario you would lose body fat and increase your muscle mass a little to increase your bodies ability to burn more calories then it does right now.

If your on a low carb diet, maintaining the amount of protein you need daily can be difficult, a supplement can be used to bridge the gap if necessary.

Good Luck with your fitness goals!
  • Piscesgrl227
    Piscesgrl227 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    There is a setting where you can adjust the macros you see in your food diary.
    Go to Food on the main tab and then go to settings.
    Then you will see a listing of drop down menus under nutrients tracked.
    Change one of them to fiber and you should be able to monitor your fiber intake.
    Hope that helps. :-)
  • rnprincess
    rnprincess Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    From my Board Certified Dietician a good rule of thumb is 1 gram of protein for each kg you weigh. 2.2 pounds is equal to 1 kg. So here is an example
    200 lbs= 91 kg so you would eat approximately 30g per meal.
    150 lbs=68 kg approximately 22g per meal
    Protein also helps with cravings and assists in controlling your appetite, if you are hungry try bumping the protein up a bit, but don't eat over your calories just to get your protein in.
  • BPayton27
    BPayton27 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Do not worry about "going over" in protein. MFP, in a lot of our opinions, does not allow for enough. If seeing the red bothers you, you can manually change your macros to up it. There's all kinds of conflicting info out there, but the professionals I have spoke with (doctors and nutritionists), recommend 1g of protein for half your weight (200lb = 100g) or a little less depending on your workout routine.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    US protein recommendations. They're a joke. Feel free to up your protein.

I was just going to say the same thing-I changed my levels too cause I know I needed more especially on my big workout days
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options

Pshaw! No it can't! You're thinking about weights that aren't pink and glittery. Duh.
  • hayles333
    hayles333 Posts: 105 Member
    Options

Pshaw! No it can't! You're thinking about weights that aren't pink and glittery. Duh.

:heart: :drinker: