Any Runners Out There??

Options
I am currently training for my first half marathon at the end of April. Since I started training, I've been cutting calories to lose weight before the race, eating around 1200. Now that my runs are longer (20-25 miles per week) and I've found that my energy level is extremely low.... obviously due to the small amount of calories I was taking in. I've kind of played around with different caloric intakes the past few days but can't really figure out where I need to be. I upped my calories to 1700 and gained three pounds in about 5 days! I still want to lose a little weight, but definitely do not want to gain any during training. I'm 5'3" and weigh 132lbs. I'm a slow runner (12 min mile as of now) so I don't burn as many calories as the faster runners. Anyone have any advice as to how many calories I need to train but still lose weight at a slower pace? Also, should I eat the calories I burn? Thanks for the help!

Replies

• LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I am currently training for my first half marathon at the end of April. Since I started training, I've been cutting calories to lose weight before the race, eating around 1200. Now that my runs are longer (20-25 miles per week) and I've found that my energy level is extremely low.... obviously due to the small amount of calories I was taking in. I've kind of played around with different caloric intakes the past few days but can't really figure out where I need to be. I upped my calories to 1700 and gained three pounds in about 5 days! I still want to lose a little weight, but definitely do not want to gain any during training. I'm 5'3" and weigh 132lbs. I'm a slow runner (12 min mile as of now) so I don't burn as many calories as the faster runners. Anyone have any advice as to how many calories I need to train but still lose weight at a slower pace? Also, should I eat the calories I burn? Thanks for the help!

yes eat the calories you burn. make sure you're eating good proteins, veggies, fruits and carbs. also lots and lots of water. lots of it. remember upping your calories does not mean eating high sodium, high fat foods. fill up on nuts, eggs, chicken, oats, beans, veggies, fruits this stuff will give you energy. high sodium foods will make you gain water weight.
  • zlauerMom
    zlauerMom Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I found it very hard to lose weight while training for a marathon or a half one. As you found out, you really need to fuel your running or your energy will be trerrible and the running will not be fun. I was a slower runner as well. In the end, I didn't lose more than five pounds.

I would recommend eating back your running calories. I guesstimated 90cal for every mile I ran or would run.

Another thing, my coach told us not to freak about weight gains especially after long runs. I always gained 2-4 pounds after the weekly long run, but it didn't stick around.

Good luck, and have fun!
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    When chaning calories like you did it is natural for your body to retain water while it adjusts - I bet all those pounds are gone in another week.

Something useful to do with running is HIIT - 1 minute interval at an easy pace (maybe 3.8mph or so) and 1 minute at at high as you can manage for the minute (I can get to about 8.2mph). I average the same overall pace as you, but the intervals help to train your body more like anaerobic exercise - it shakes up your routine and burns more calories - than aerobic (straigh running). Changing up the routine is really good for your body.

As for your calories, you need those extra calories so I think 1700 is right - it is what I eat daily and I burn about 1200 calories a week in the gym (about the same height and weight as you). I do not eat ack my calories, but I eat 1700 every day (some eat less on non-workout days and then eat back calires from exercise).
  • wocm15
    wocm15 Posts: 81
    Options
    I am training for my 4th Half Marathon, I definitely agree that you should be eating back your exercise calories. Make sure those calories come from high quality grains and carbs, as those are essential to having fuel for your run. Also, it really doesn't matter how fast or slow you run your mile, you burn about the same amount of calories, just in a shorter or longer amount of time. :)

Congratulations on training for a Half! The emotions you will feel crossing the finish line will make it all worth it!
  • msrootitooti
    msrootitooti Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I am training for a half at the beginning of May and run about 20-25 miles a week. I could never sustain myself on 1200 and I am small. I have mine set at 1450 and then try to eat back my calories especially on long run days plus as everyone said drink lots of water. If you want to have a successful race, you really need to fuel your body. I usually do my long run on the weekend and Monday is not a pretty weigh in I think because of both the running and the eating.. Good luck!
  • megd726
    megd726 Posts: 31
    Options
    I am also training for a half marathon (one in the beginning of April and one at the end). This will be my 3rd and 4th. While training for my first and second (2011 and 2012), I gained weight but I wasn't watching what I was eating and wasn't eating as healthy. It is difficult to lose weight. In December I started with a trainer and really focused on losing weight and building up my strength. I have lost 22 pounds since then and have been averaging about 20 miles a week. I typically complete a run/walk where I run for 3-15 minutes and then walk for 1 minute. Overall, my pace is about a 12 minute mile so we're about the same pace (and roughly the same age).

From my experience, 1200 calories is too low. By upping your calories by 500 calories a day to the 1700 you mentioned, that is 2500 calories for 5 days. 3500 equals a pound of true weight gain. I assume most of the weight you gained is water weight. As women and as distance runners, we retain more water than we like to admit. I've done a few things which have been super helpful:
    1. Calories of 1604 (given to me by trainer)
    2. Do not eat back exercise calories (they are built into my formula for the above calorie goals and exercise goals)
    3. Up the protein levels - my minimum level is 121g daily
    4. Watch sodium levels - I am trying to keep myself to no more than 1500mg daily
    5. Incorporating a strength routine twice a week

My energy levels have never been as high as they are now. I don't struggle with the horrible hunger bouts after a long run like I did for the first couple of training sessions either.

I realize my experience doesn't mean this will work you. This is what I have found beneficial and hope you find some use to this info. I would play around and find out what works for you and follow that. I'm more than willing to help in any way along the way. Please feel free to add me! :)
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I've been distance running for a long time, and I can tell you its pretty hard to eat at that big of a deficit while training. I find it hard to lose weight at all, because with the big burns from long runs and speed drills, I just graze constantly. Make sure you are eating good, real food. Lots of veggies, fruit, and protein. Hydration is super important. The good thing is, when I kick into marathon training mode, I tend to have intense cravings for healthy foods (and also french fries).

I try to end every big run (longer tempo/speed runs and long runs) with a protein shake (protein powder, banana or whatever fruit i have lying around, ice, maybe peanut butter).

Oh, and don't worry about being 'slower' and calories. A) whatever pace you run is fantastic. B) you'll burn roughly the same amount per mile, it will just take you a bit longer. After 8 years of distance running, I actually burn a lot less per mile than a beginner, because my body has gotten so efficient at it. Good Luck!
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    I am a fellow slow runner, and although I am not officially training for a half (yet), I run 25-30 miles a week with a long run around 10 miles. My regular running schedule is about the mileage of 3/4 of the way through a lot of half training plans. I am losing about 1lb a week on average eating about 1700-1800 per day (I'm 5'4" and 158 lbs). I have mfp set for 1lb/week and eat my exercise calories. I am building my long run up to 3hrs (it's about 2 hours now) and the rest of my mileage to support that, but I imagine I will leave my mfp setting the same (just be eating more exercise calories). I plan to do a half in the fall.
  • Kristi858
    Kristi858 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thnks for all of the great advice guys! I'm ready to eat more!!! :)
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options

Definitely eat more!!! I weigh about the same as you (129) and I average about 2000 or more cals per day. I am on maintenance though, so I eat 1620 base cals, and then I eat back ALL my exercise calories. I would reset your cals to only losing 1/2 pound a week. You may find that you will average more loss than that (I did). It makes such a difference in how your runs feel. I do tend to average out my calories and look more at my weekly averages - so on run days I may end up a little under and on non run days I am over.