Breaking addictions/habbits question?

Options
I am in the process of breaking my addiction to drinking pop. This has been VERY hard for me! My question is how long until cravings start to subside?

Also does anyone know any good alternatives to pop/soda preferably without aspartame? I miss the bubbles of Diet Coke...(wistful face) I can not drink pop in moderation I am weak!

Thanks in advance!
:)

Replies

• timbrophy
    timbrophy Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have been off of soda for 2 months now. It took maybe 3 weeks for the habit to break. I drink LaCroix sparkling water or canned Club Soda. Not quite as tasty but it does give you the carbonation kick. I don't think about soda now.
  • sarantonio
    sarantonio Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Mine took two weeks, 2 horrible awful weeks of headaches till I gave up...be stronger than me! I believe in you!
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I only drank diet pepsi for years and years. When I started this new lifestyle I continued to drink it for the first month and then the second month I cut it in half. Now I'm only drinking about 20oz each day. Never thought I could give it up. I just really like the taste. I drink 10-14 cups of water per day now and don't fell like I'm missing out. Do it gradually.
  • Nasheajones
    Nasheajones Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips! :) I will try the Sparkling water. I have club soda. I am determined to kick this habit. I did not drink any water for like seven years..So I am getting used to it now. I have to pee all the time!! sorry if that is TMI :)
  • Querian
    Querian Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I've not been a soda drinker but I did recently give up coffee and dealt with several days of headaches while I went through that withdrawal. I think sparkling water is a good idea, maybe with lemon or lime added, but I also think just deciding that you are NOT drinking soda anymore helps, too. As an ex-smoker I gotta say that giving up any addiction really comes down to wanting to be free of it more than you want to drink it.

And drinking your water is a good idea, too. :smile:
  • nikb1983
    nikb1983 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I've heard it takes 21 days to make or break a habit. I'm currently weaning myself slowly off of soda...I tried to quit it while I was pregnant but I just couldn't...now, I'm down to one soda in the afternoon and one cup of coffee in the morning. I think when I finish what I have on hand, I'll not buy any more and make the switch to iced tea in the afternoon (gotta have some kind of caffiene boost to keep up with the 10 month old) and then on occasion have a soda (when out to eat or something)
  • kristinL16
    kristinL16 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I've been working on this as well but have not been very successful. I decided to gradually reduce the amount that I drink but then on the day that I was supposed to have none I had a REALLY hard time with it. Doesn't help that my 16 month old who normally doesn't sleep through the night has been sick so sleeping even worse. Anyway, I have reduced the amount but have not been able to completely cut out soda altogether. I did find a Tazo iced tea that is pretty good for times when I want something with flavor but no chemicals or caffeine. The caffeine doesn't bother me, I just wanted to avoid the chemicals. That tea just happens to be caffeine free. I also have green tea for times I need caffeine to reduce the headaches.
  • Derpina7
    Derpina7 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I've heard that organic apple juice has helped people kick their habit, the tart flavor still helps satisfy that sweet tooth.
    I'm not a pop drinker myself, but as with anything else I've tried to curb, simply not buying it anymore (cookies or chips for example) has helped a lot. If I go out it might be a treat to have every so often, but having those things around at home can be too hard of a temptation to say "I'll just have 1".
  • MommaChocoLatte
    MommaChocoLatte Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I am/was a big diet soda drinker. Cutting it out completely gave me bad migraines. I replaced it with flavored seltzer waters (the unsweetened kind) for the carbonation when I crave the bubbles but I still let myself have one on occasion. Usually when I am at work to stay awake (work nights) or when we go out to eat as a treat. I don't do deprivation well... just makes me want more and that's when I over do it.
  • JessyJ03
    JessyJ03 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    My doctor said it's harder to kick soda habits than coffee.

FWIW I was able to quit for 2-3 weeks but then caved in and went back to it. I'd still like to quit someday but I'm not ready ;)
  • crossleggs
    Options
    Just losing the diet soda you can drop a few lbs, and your kidneys will love you.:smile:
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Walmart and other places have these fruit flavored sparkling waters. I forget what they're called, but helps me when I have that craving for a soda. Good luck.
  • Nasheajones
    Nasheajones Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Awesome suggestions!

I am going to try more tea, sparkling water, flavored carbonated water and just try to wait it out! I am still shocked at how addicted I had become. I really feel like if I can quit my soda addiction it will help me get a handle on my eating habits. I was mainly addicted to Diet Coke and even though it claims "0 calories" I gained a lot of weight on it! Plus I read up on it and it seems to contribute to a larger belly and I for one do not need help growing a big belly!