How do you cope?

Options
If you are ye only person in your household that has a weight issue, how do you deal with those who don't? It's only me and my hubby, but he's like 6 foot 1 and 200 pounds. He doesn't exercise and he won't eat right to save his life. I do the cooking and I cook healthy things but if he doesn't like whatever it is, he will eat out. How can I convince him that the smart thing to do (money-wise and health wise) is to eat at home?

Replies

• Vallandingham
    Vallandingham Posts: 2,177
    Options
    I had kind of the reverse problem. Both my wife and I are overweight. I was cooking healthy for myself and cooking her what she wanted. It's semi-healthy. Anyway, she started dieting about 4 weeks ago and is on a pre-packaged food plan. I don't cook at all for her anymore. She's lost 17 pounds in 4 weeks.
  • sparklergirl8
    Options
    That sounds eerily similar to my situation! My husband is 6'3" 230lbs w/a muscular build due to many yrs in the military. I, on the other hand, am 4'11" 148lbs...up until last yr, I never topped 120, so I'm trying to get my weight under control and back to my usual range. He doesn't work out, doesn't eat healthy because it doesn't affect his physique whatsoever! It's so hard to keep only healthy things in the house...he'll stop at the grocery store to pick up fat free milk, and comes back w/2%...and he'll also come home w/fattening breads, chips, soda, desserts, etc. It's so hard to stay on track when things like that are accessible. I've tried talking to him about it, and we'll do good for a while, but then he's at it again :o( So I can def feel your pain!
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    kicklikeaGIRL Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I've had a similar situation... I have been trying to lose weight while my husband has no problems whatsoever. But, when I sat down and I talked to him about wanting to change my life, I let him know that this was going to affect both of us. Because not only was I going to try to eat healthier to lose weight, but to prevent health problems. My husband also has a family history of high cholesterol & heart disease so I let him know that we need to do better so that we can prolong our lives and be there for our families in the future.

The thing is, I eat a lot "cleaner" than he does. I try to avoid processed foods and eat a lot of veggies, lean meats, whole wheats, etc. My husband obliged to try to change his ways too, but he's not as committed as I have been. So, there are times when I try to adjust things to make his taste buds happy. When we go grocery shopping I also ask him what foods he wants me to put on the list for him. He likes taking a bag of Cheez its with him to work to snack on, and he likes his packaged peanut butter crackers (which to me are completely gross). But, I try to meet him halfway. He understands we are on a tight budget so if he doesn't like what I make for dinner he can't go out to eat. I plan out my meals 2 weeks in advance (inbetween every paycheck), and he has a say as to what we eat. Sometimes he'll suggest pizza on the weekend, so I will do my best to make it healthy and I will make a healthy side salad. I try to meet him halfway, and sometimes its hard, but he's gradually understanding why I am eating healthy. He's noticing more energy from eating healthier foods too. It may take some time, and patience, and self control (especially when those bad foods might be around the house) but you can do this, and as you show your love he may start to show more interest in trying to do better at changing his healthy ways too. Its not about losing weight, its about changing your life so that you can live healthy and do the things you've dreamed of doing and hav eht energy to do it!

Kudos to you for making the effort! good luck!!!