Any Runners Out There?

Options
I am currently training for my first half marathon at the end of April. Since I started training, I've been cutting calories to lose weight before the race, eating around 1200. Now that my runs are longer (20-25 miles per week) and I've found that my energy level is extremely low.... obviously due to the small amount of calories I was taking in. I've kind of played around with different caloric intakes the past few days but can't really figure out where I need to be. I still want to lose a little weight, but definitely do not want to gain any during training. I'm 5'3" and weigh 132lbs. I'm a slow runner (12 min mile as of now) so I don't burn as many calories as the faster runners. Anyone have any advice as to how many calories I need to train but still lose weight at a slower pace? Also, should I eat the calories I burn? Thanks for the help!

Replies

• Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    As long as you are using MFP as it is set up (the calories that it gives you already include your deficit) then eat back all those calories from running. And remember, you may not burn as many per mile as faster runners, but you are going to be running longer (I am also at around a 12 minute mile pace) so you will still be burning a lot. It might take a while to adjust and figure out exactly where you need to be to still lose weight, but while you are still putting in a lot of miles like you will be for the next two months, it is better to err on the side of eating too much. Your body needs that fuel.

I've done 5 Halfs and countless other distances. Be warned...they are addictive!

Good luck and have fun!
  • yensidtoon
    yensidtoon Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I just started running, and want to do my first 5k this summer. I am struggling with energy and breathing. I do a total of almost a mile, but only jog for about 1/2 of it, the rest is brisk walking. Each day I can go a little bit longer, so hopefully soon I will be running the whole half mile, then a mile, then more.

Oh, and my pace, according to Runtasic is also on pace for a 12 minute mile, so I too run slowly.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more. It is actually more difficult to actively lose weight while training for a half marathon. You need to make sure that you are fueling your body for those runs that you are doing. I actually got a month into training for one and couldn't figure out why I was so tired and kept bonking runs. Then I realized that I'd never upped my calories from my 1400 net that I do when not training to the 1700 net that I do when I am training. As soon as I started eating more, training went a lot better and I stopped feeling tired so much.

I only ever lost a pound, maybe two, while training for a half marathon, but my clothes always fit better by the end of the training time. So I wasn't really losing weight, but I was losing inches, which make me happier anyway.

At your height and weight you are smaller than I am, so you may not need to go as high as 1700 net, but you really should be netting more than 1200. You can probably find some run calculators online that you can enter you stats and pacing into and it will give caloric burns, but the average is about 100 per mile. Given your stats, you may be slightly below that, but you should be able to get a fairly close estimate.

And don't be afraid to eat more on the long run days. I found that eating more on the long run days, often netting 1800-2000, depending on the distance, really helped me head into the next week without any fatigue from that run.

I've also found that once I drop calories and working out back down to non-training levels after a race, weight does come off again at that time. So don't try to force weight loss during training, especially since your stats already show that you are in a healthy weight range and much closer to what your probable goal weight is.
  • kavanaghev
    kavanaghev Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    You do burn a lot running 12min/mi and for longer... your heart rate is up, right? Eat back your exercise calories. I had the same issue and I increased to 1800-2000 cals per day. I am running the same mileage as you, same goal, but I am 5'5" and 139. I also eat above that on my long run days (8mi). I am still losing steadily. Good luck!!
  • Bxgell2
    Bxgell2 Posts: 30
    Options
    I've found two things help the most... first strength training and pilates have significantly helped my endurance, particularly for my long runs (6+ miles). Also, eat more. But, for me, I need to spread out the extra calories over the week rather than bulk up on my run days. I tend to get really sick to my stomach if I eat a lot of calories in one day, particularly on the days I do a long run. So, instead of eating back my calories as I workout, I just changed my profile on MFP to increase my calories from 1200 a day to 1390 per day. I've also started eating a tablespoon or two of peanut butter on the days I do a long run, to give me a boost in calories and fat just before I do my run...
  • BobSassafrass
    BobSassafrass Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, eat back your exercise calories for sure. Also the more fit you are the less fat you burn and the more carbs. Because of that I make sure to eat my carbs for the day before my workouts and almost no carbs afterwards.
  • lindsyrox
    lindsyrox Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I've been training for a few up coming half marathons as well. I'm doing about 20+ miles a week (long runs of 10+ miles on saturdays) and I eat 1500 calories a day and lose about 1lb a week. of course on the long run days its a good idea to eat some extra food, but I try to keep my total calories in between 1500-2000 regardless of exercise (staying on the lower calorie end on rest days and higher end on run days).
  • sarantonio
    sarantonio Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Agreed, I just started, but I ALWAYS try to NET 1400... eat those bad boys back, your body will thank you..
  • NatashaHepp
    Options
    I'm also really getting into running lately and am also 5'3" weighing 133 pounds as of today (down from 140 a week ago). My tactic to keep losing the weight and keep my energy up for running 4-5 days a week, also 12 minute miles or intervals, is to eat the 1200 calories it dictates of good food while giving yourself plenty of vegetables that you track as "0 calories" which is similar to the new weight watchers program. That way you don't skimp out on vegetables and still meet calorie needs. If I have any of my 1200 calories (or more if I work out hard that day from exercise) left, I just leave them and stay satisfied instead of stuffed or starved.
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Training for my first half marathon, and I'm netting at around 1850 cal per day. That is a cut for me. I'm 5'6" about 153lb. I'm amazed how anyone can do long runs on any less calories than that. You need to fuel your workouts! Eat more. You will still lose weight and have much more energy.
  • Kristi858
    Kristi858 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    You do burn a lot running 12min/mi and for longer... your heart rate is up, right? Eat back your exercise calories. I had the same issue and I increased to 1800-2000 cals per day. I am running the same mileage as you, same goal, but I am 5'5" and 139. I also eat above that on my long run days (8mi). I am still losing steadily. Good luck!!

So you upped your calories to 1800-2000 per day PLUS your exercise calories? Sorry, just trying to clarify here. Everyone is giving me so much great advice I'm trying to figure out what it all means! :)
  • Kristi858
    Options
    Agreed, I just started, but I ALWAYS try to NET 1400... eat those bad boys back, your body will thank you..

What does NET mean? Sorry, I'm new at this!
  • beckamarie
    Options
    You need to eat more. It is actually more difficult to actively lose weight while training for a half marathon. You need to make sure that you are fueling your body for those runs that you are doing. I actually got a month into training for one and couldn't figure out why I was so tired and kept bonking runs. Then I realized that I'd never upped my calories from my 1400 net that I do when not training to the 1700 net that I do when I am training. As soon as I started eating more, training went a lot better and I stopped feeling tired so much.

I only ever lost a pound, maybe two, while training for a half marathon, but my clothes always fit better by the end of the training time. So I wasn't really losing weight, but I was losing inches, which make me happier anyway.

At your height and weight you are smaller than I am, so you may not need to go as high as 1700 net, but you really should be netting more than 1200. You can probably find some run calculators online that you can enter you stats and pacing into and it will give caloric burns, but the average is about 100 per mile. Given your stats, you may be slightly below that, but you should be able to get a fairly close estimate.

And don't be afraid to eat more on the long run days. I found that eating more on the long run days, often netting 1800-2000, depending on the distance, really helped me head into the next week without any fatigue from that run.

I've also found that once I drop calories and working out back down to non-training levels after a race, weight does come off again at that time. So don't try to force weight loss during training, especially since your stats already show that you are in a healthy weight range and much closer to what your probable goal weight is.

I have been a runner for 10 yrs and I agree with everything said above ... it is very difficult to lose 'those last 5 to 10' pounds while training for a distance race so be careful. It is more of a fueling your workouts balance.
  • mamamcneil
    mamamcneil Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am also training for a half marathon on May 19th. 12 weeks to train and I am only up to 4 miles per run. Good luck!
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I won't write a book...you can message me for more info if you want. You can still train for a half marathon and do a 1200 calorie plan to lose weight. There are a few keys here:
    1. You need a heart rate monitor that will give you your approximate calorie burn
    2. You need to eat back your exercise calories
    3. You need to make sure your diet consists of complex carbs so your body doesn't burn through them as quickly
    4. After a long run, make sure you have a recovery drink that has a 4:1 carb to protein ratio...be careful if you buy recovery drinks, as they usually contain a ridiculous amount of sugar

My wife is a long distance runner and is about your stats and she does just fine with the above. Like I said, I can give you more detail, just didn't want to write a book.
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I am also training for a half marathon on May 19th. 12 weeks to train and I am only up to 4 miles per run. Good luck!

Plenty of time to get up to 12 miles if you are already at 4, keep it up, you can do it!
  • mlbbarnes
    mlbbarnes Posts: 12
    Options
    I just started running, and want to do my first 5k this summer. I am struggling with energy and breathing. I do a total of almost a mile, but only jog for about 1/2 of it, the rest is brisk walking. Each day I can go a little bit longer, so hopefully soon I will be running the whole half mile, then a mile, then more.

Oh, and my pace, according to Runtasic is also on pace for a 12 minute mile, so I too run slowly.

You might want to look at a program called Couch 2 5K. It is designed to help you get into running and build up your energy and breathing. It is only 9 weeks long. I could barely run around the block but now I am running 3 miles every other day.
  • Kristi858
    Options

You might want to look at a program called Couch 2 5K. It is designed to help you get into running and build up your energy and breathing. It is only 9 weeks long. I could barely run around the block but now I am running 3 miles every other day.

I started with C25K and it is fabulous! They also have a C210K app!
  • mlbbarnes
    mlbbarnes Posts: 12
    Options

So you upped your calories to 1800-2000 per day PLUS your exercise calories? Sorry, just trying to clarify here. Everyone is giving me so much great advice I'm trying to figure out what it all means! :)

Yes you are supposed to eat back your calories earned from exercise especially if you are feeling weak. Other web sites automatically assume you are going to work out and set your calorie goal according to that. My Fitness Pal doesn't assume that and sets your calories based on what you enter. So I would look at your profile and make sure everything is set correctly. Meaning check your "normal activity", weight goal and activity level. If that is all correct, then yeah eat back those calories.
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar boat. Got my first full 26.2 coming up in October, but I've got a solid base of ~40 miles per week going on now. I need to build up more distance, which will require more fuel, but I don't want to end up putting weight on - I've still got a couple lbs to go to hit my goal. How much mileage are you planning to add as part of your 13.1 training? That will burn off a lot of calories, so you will probably want to bite the bullet and dig into some more decent (unprocessed) foods to keep your energy levels up.

Best of luck in your half. I did my first last Sept and it's quite an accomplishment!