New to mfp and need ideas for dinner...

Options
I have been using mfp for about one week and I love it!!! I have been doing good at keeping my food entries and tracking my calories, but I always seem to have a problem coming up with healthy ideas for dinner. Side dishes seem to be the worst. I am on a limited budget and don't purchase "weird" ingredients for a one time use. Anyone have any suggestions other that veggies? Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Replies

• sparklergirl8
    Options
    I love cooking up fajitas! I use ground turkey; green, red, & orange peppers; onion; jalapenos, and whole grain tortillas...so yummy! Just don't use a lot of oil!
  • dclarsh1
    dclarsh1 Posts: 83
    Options
    My family has become a little addicted to red beans. You can have them with rice if you want, but we like them just plain too. They make a great side dish for just about any grilled meat/fish/shellfish and I eat the leftovers with an over easy fried egg for breakfast. Here's the basic recipe (makes 4 servings)...

1 cup dried red kidney beans, soaked overnight
    2-3 slices low sodium bacon, cut into smallish pieces
    half a green pepper, chopped
    quarter to half an onion, chopped
    1 Tbsp cajun seasoning
    5 cups water

In a large pot, sautee bacon, green pepper and onion until pepper and onion are tender. Add the beans, cajun seasoning, and water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for one to one and a half hours.

Note: if this takes too long for you, you can always used canned kidney beans (drained and rinsed), omit the water and reduce the cajun seasoning to a half Tbsp. Sautee the bacon a little longer before you add the peppers and onions so it's a little crispy. If you do it this way, you should have red beans in 20 minutes or so.
  • Mirlyn
    Mirlyn Posts: 256
    Options
    My produce staples for dinner side dishes are fresh broccoli (very easy to steam up in the microwave, just put some plastic wrap over the bowl), green capsicum (bell pepper), onions , and zucchini. We make lots of stirfry with the broccoli and bell pepper and onion. I use the zucchini grilled or sauteed as a side dish on its own or I add it to pasta dishes.

Instead of potatoes, rice, couscous, or mac n cheese - we've been eating quinoa cooked in chicken broth or with low sodium chicken bouillion in the water. High protein and not expensive, cooks quickly. 1 small box of quinoa will last my husband and I a month or more depending on how often we eat it. You can add any produce (the same produce staples I keep on hand) to the quinoa as it's cooking to make a pilaf. Very yummy.