My major goal

Options
I always like to have a goal to work towards or a reason for doing things. I have never liked working out just to work out. If it was for a sport or for a specific goal then I actually like it.

So I have set my major goal for this weight loss and fitness path I have embarked on. I want to do the triple crown of long distance hikes. It has been something I have wanted to do for a while, but as I got heavier and more out of shape it started receding from my mind.

The first will be the Appalachian trail ~ 2200 miles from Georgia to Maine.

Second will be the Pacific Crest Trail ~ 2600 miles from Mexico to Canada.

The third will be the Continental Divide Trail ~ 2800 miles from Mexico to Canada.

I will hopefully be retiring in about 5 years so I am starting to plan now since each hike will take 4 - 6 months. There will be a break in between since each one is weather dependent on start and end times. But I am hoping to attempt to do one each year for 3 years.

In the meantime I am planning on doing some section hikes on the AT to get used to longer hiking again.

Since I made my decision to do it I feel more motivated to get back into shape and I am really looking forward to the day I start my first through hike on the AT.

Replies

• LisasRoadtolosing100lbs
    Options
    OMG! Those are some amazing goals! I wish you lots of luck in achieving them! Enjoy your weightloss journey.
  • scott1111111
    scott1111111 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Well one thing to look forward to when I do them is being able to eat like I used to. Hikers doing the whole route burn 4000 - 5000 calories a day. People regularly lose 20 pounds by the end of the hike even stuffing their faces in towns along the way. I know there is the half gallon challenge about halfway on the AT where people eat a half gallon of ice cream.