I'm puzzled

Options
Can someone explain why walking 3.5 miles an hour for 35 minutes today burns 245 calories, but walking 3.5 miles an hour for 30 minutes yesterday burns 268? Is this a less is more kind of thing?!:laugh:

Replies

• scott1111111
    scott1111111 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Where did the numbers come from?
  • xaMErica
    xaMErica Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Do you use a HRM? I use a Polar FT4.. and that happens to me a lot =) Especially the gym in our apt's if I get the good treadmill (next to the ac) I'll burn fewer calories because it isn't as hard on me! It is easier for me to run harder with out 'working' harder! If I get the one next to the window... I get worn out faster because it is hot as hell.. =) It just depends on where your heart rate is the entire time.
  • determined_erin
    determined_erin Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Maybe there were a few more hills or challenges yesterday that made you work harder than today.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    It depends on where you got the numbers from. I have had this happen wearing my HRM. Your surroundings can change a lot to give different readings. One day you might be walking/running with a tail wind the following day you could have a strong headwind which would make you work a little harder.
  • sleibo87
    sleibo87 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Did you use a Heart Rate monitor? It all depends on the intensity of your walk
  • Fnarfig
    Fnarfig Posts: 6
    Options
    These are the numbers generated by MFP. Interestingly, I wear a pedometer because I'm in a program for my office and the same amount of time records as over 500 calories on the work sponsored website!
  • Fnarfig
    Options
    I'm using a treadmill and the heart rate monitor on that. I'm at about 140, right between fat burn and cardio.
  • Fnarfig
    Options
    I'm doing the walk on a treadmill, so it's fairly consistent and I'm reporting the time and speed on MFP. It's the MFP website that is assigning the calories to the amount of time and speed.
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    These are the numbers generated by MFP. Interestingly, I wear a pedometer because I'm in a program for my office and the same amount of time records as over 500 calories on the work sponsored website!

If they are MFP generated, then I can only guess that for the one entry you used 3.5 mph UPHILL and the other, just 3.5 mph, BRISK WALK. You do get a greater calorie burn by adding an incline and maintaining your speed.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Did you, by chance, lose weight since yesterday? If so, then the amount of work it takes to walk the same distance/speed/time would be less.
  • kristina1709
    kristina1709 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    because you are using more energy..squeezing the same amount of miles in less time, meaning you are going faster..thus burning more calories.

I.E. If I run 2.5 miles in 28 minutes I will burn x amount of calories but if I run 2.5 miles in 24 minutes I will burn more than x because my heart rate was higher.