Exercise/weightloss and acne?

Options
So ever since I started working out and going to the gym I have had pretty bad breakouts. I haven't ever had pimples this bad, not even in my teen years. I haven't changed anything particular in my diet except for how much I eat. No new shampoos or makeups or cream, I've been afraid to put anything on my face lately as well>_< this started exactly when I started exercising in December and has been pretty constant since then. Could there be a link of sweating and acne? I take a shower about 20 minutes after I get back from the gym as well. It sucks losing weight but then getting all these pimples >_< Halp someone! No stress or anything either >_<

Replies

• Freedomgurl585
    Freedomgurl585 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I have a suspicion that weight loss sure does cause acne. I think that our bodies are expelling all impurities that we have inside and pushing them out. Sounds so gross! I have noticed that I have been getting an increased number of bums all over my body which truly sucks, Been increasing my water intake and using witch hazel as a natural toner on my face every night. Try the witch hazel especially for red, big pimples just dab it on with a q-tip or what i do is use a clean wash cloth and dampen it with the witch hazel before smoothing onto my skin. I have seen very good results and the witch hazel shrinks pimples almost overnight. Try adding more tumeric to your diet also, it fights pimples from the inside out. Good luck!
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    when I was younger I used to breakout from sweating alot.. Just the sweat on your face and then when you wipe you sometimes irritate the skin or push the oils into the skin from the towel.. Not much you can do, shower after
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I have had the exact same problem and I ended up getting prescribed a cream for my acne which cleared it up a lot but I still get bad ones every other week or so, except before it was patches and now it's one or two.
    I've heard quite a few things about how the body is releasing various things, etc. and also more obvious things like the sweat clogging your pores. Unfortunately, I don't know what can done to prevent this!
    I am going to the doctor next week about it though as although the cream has improved my skin a lot, I used to have completely clear skin and I am 22 years old so I don't really feel like I should be getting spots/pimples on a regular basis anymore.
    I will bookmark this post and get back to you if I find out any worthwhile information/treatments when I go :)
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Sweat and dead skin cells build up and clog your pores when you work out, causing breakouts. Wear sweatbands and buy some face wash wipes to wipe off acne prone areas right after a workout. For me, it was the sweaty spot between my boobs (ick!!) Wash your face more than usual.
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Thank god ;-; I thought I was the only one >_<
  • MallorieGreiner
    MallorieGreiner Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    That exfoliating brush from L'Oreal is UH-MAZING. (and only $30 compared to the $150+ ones) I use that, Lush products, and a prescribed acne pill and topical medication. My best advice would be not to be afraid to go to a dermatologist. I put it off for so long, now I get one zit every couple of months. \m/
  • xsmittles
    xsmittles Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem. I never had issues with my skin when I was a teen. Then I started working out more intensely and started breaking out. I've been seeing a dermatologist and he's given me topical creams and pills, which has helped. But I can't wear makeup anymore or use face creams, and really, I'm scared to now!! I'm so paranoid about my skin now. :explode:
  • tripodsmom
    tripodsmom Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    My face always breaks out when I start working out. I started using proactive, its working but its 20 bucks a month and reeeeaaally dries your face out. Somebody gave me this batch.