Tell me about your job

Options

Replies

• MommaChocoLatte
    MommaChocoLatte Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I am a shipping clerk for a 3rd party logistics company at a Pepsi/Quaker warehouse. We have an extremely high turnover rate amongst the forklift operators. Out of all the clerks, we've only had 3 leave since we opened in 2010. Only 2 of us (out of 5, myself included) have been there since the site opened.

I worked at a different site in CA before moving up here to WA, so I have been with the company the longest and I do all the training when they hire new clerks. And I work 3rd shift. I have a love hate relationship with the shift lol.
  • gerard54
    gerard54 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I work in an ER, not fun...
  • EvilPoser
    EvilPoser Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I work in human resources at a Target store and I've been there for 8 years. There's only 3 of us in my actual department and I'm the only one who can be considered full-time. One of my co-workers has been there longer then me but she only works everyother weekend. My other co-worker worked here years ago but left for a full-time job and later came back here part-time.

In the store in general our turnover can be pretty bad. There are plenty of people who have been here longer than me but, because we're retail, we have a number of people who are only working here while they are in school. I've gotten used to seeing new people especially since one of my jobs is hiring and running orientation. Also, seasonal doesn't help our turnover since many of the people we hire at that time don't stay after New Years.
  • flatblade
    flatblade Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I'm on my 2nd carreer, (retired from my 1st), and I agree with you . I'm in heathcare now, also = tremendous turnover. I think it may due to the overall employment apmosphere. There is very little loyalty now, both ways. It seems very 'every man (or woman) for them self. People here are very well compensated, so its not just about the $$, it has to be other factors as well.
    I, too, am on my second career. I work at a job that doesn't have tremendous turnover. It's probably the plum job for hardworking but undereducated types. I've been here seven years and I'm still tied for last in the seniority roster. We have had a few transfers in from other areas, but those folks have maintained their seniority.

As a former manager, I can speak a bit for what drives turnover. Work hours matter, supervision matters, pay matters, and flexibility matters. The promise that the job will be there long-term seems to matter less to younger folks, as does competitive wages.
  • Scott2ndGradeTeacher
    Scott2ndGradeTeacher Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I make test takers and heart breakers out of second graders.

Our teacher turnover is fairly low, but support staff seems to come and go each year.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    In my current workplace, as a teacher, turnover normally only happens once a year. To only stay one year is unusual. One of my colleagues is already moving on, after a year, and that's pretty shocking. Some years there are a lot of people moving on, but last year there were only two people retiring and one move mid-year. My previous head of department had a shocking effect on retainment: we lost a teacher most years. That trend is hopefully over now...

I tried training in a school where, by November, I was one class's fourth teacher that term. I developed nervous twitches and quit too! At one point (it may be different now) the average amount of time a language teacher spent in one post was only 2 years.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Does your employer have a relatively high or low turnover rate for new employees? LOW

But what about other jobs/careers? SAHM

Do you see new people come and go or have you been working with the same people for years? SAME PEOPLE FOR YEARS.

LMFAO.
  • vblair77
    vblair77 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I work in the dispatch dept of a large(ish) shipping company. The turnover rate is so-so. Not the worst, some clerks (4 of them) have been here 30 years or more. I've been here 12 and have the most seniority other than those old timers :wink: As far as jobs go, its a pretty good one. But its NOT my dream job. That fell through. It pays the bills.
  • MommaChocoLatte
    MommaChocoLatte Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I work in the dispatch dept of a large(ish) shipping company..

Which one? Just curious, since I work in shipping too :)
  • i_luv_irs
    i_luv_irs Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I work for the Federal Government. Turnover is generally low. People usually leave only upon retirement. However with the upcoming furloughs, who knows... People may start looking elsewhere.
  • tiffanyheth
    tiffanyheth Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I work in hospital admissions/scheduling. I've been here for 8 months and I'm the newest employee in my department. Everyone else has been here forever.

I hate my job. I have ever changing hours, work 7, 10, 12 days at a time without any days off. I work evenings, weekends, and some days. I'm rarely home with my family. My boss is awful and insensitive and fake.
  • Tuala42
    Tuala42 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Piano teacher. Fun job, but haven't had enough students for the past 2-3 years, same with my piano teacher friends in the area. So I started looking for a 2nd part time job, something while my kids are in school. Haven't had any luck yet--decent part time jobs with "mom hours" are tough to find.
  • jgbkab
    jgbkab Posts: 24
    Options
    The turnover where I work is high. Like 200 - 300 a day. Man, people can't get enough of these apple turnovers here.
  • JustMyImagiNAYtion
    JustMyImagiNAYtion Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I work for the Forest Service... these people work here FOREVERRRRRR.... and everr.... lol
  • JustMyImagiNAYtion
    JustMyImagiNAYtion Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    sounds familiar....

in response to the federal government...
  • bluefrog_2001
    bluefrog_2001 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I'm a Chocolatier, own my own company and spend most days up to my elbows in melted Belgian Chocolate making everything by hand from bars to truffles to shoes to novelties to seasonal etc. etc. etc.

Its a hard life but someone has to do it, my wife also works with me, so does my daughters and mother, its a real family business :)

:love: my new stalker victim...err, best friend

you had me at chocolate
  • Sweetestthing87
    Sweetestthing87 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Super LOW turnover here.

I am an analyst for an oil & gas company and I have been here 8 years and counting.

Serioulsy, people don't leave unless they retire or die. Some people really need to do one or the other.. JK JK, but seriously, you won't see me working when I am 70+. I have a bucket list to conquer.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    I work for the Department of Veteran Affairs. No one ever leaves because we get to help veterans everyday and it's the best job in the world.

FYI - We are always looking for nurses.

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind. Where do you live?:happy:
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    I work for the federal government...been there 22 years...being furloughed :(

Bummer. After 22 years...????
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    I work in IT for a catholic hospital, when we had nuns running this place everyone wanted to work here and stay here. Now the CEO is a businessman. People are either running off or getting laid off.

Nuns have their good points :wink:
    I went to 16 years of catholic school...:tongue: