Lifting gurus - I have a question

Options
I'm a 50yo female, current weight 224, 5'4". I started the C25K this week, so I have a moderate exercise program in place, I walk on the "off days". I am interested in doing strength training, but I think I need to get to about 180-190 lbs to do that. I think I need to focus on some major weight loss before I add strength training to me weekly routine. What are your ideas?

Thanks, Callie

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    There's absolutely no reason to wait to lift if you've been meidcally cleared for exercise. Start with bodyweight exercises and watching lots of videos for proer form. Check out New Rules of Lifting or New Rules of LIfting for Women. Great stuff in there.
  • autopilot_on
    Options
    There's absolutely no reason to wait to lift if you've been medically cleared for exercise. Start with body weight exercises and watching lots of videos for proper form. Check out New Rules of Lifting or New Rules of Lifting for Women. Great stuff in there.

Absolutely what JenMc14 said. Don't wait. More muscle mass will help you burn more calories.
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    There's absolutely no reason to wait to lift if you've been meidcally cleared for exercise. Start with bodyweight exercises and watching lots of videos for proer form. Check out New Rules of Lifting or New Rules of LIfting for Women. Great stuff in there.

Double absolutely.

And this is my standard start here advice:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/
  • tc6952
    tc6952 Posts: 14
    Options
    Not only will more muscle mass, achieved through lifting weights, burn more fat (its like a snowball effect), it has also been proven that resistance training (i.e., weightlifting) will keep your metabolism higher for a longer period of time than pure cardio (even HIIT cardio).

In my experience, I changed my weight training to mix both high rep / low weight with low rep / high weight, added supersets (doing one excercise immediately after the previous with no rest) and lowering the inter-set rest times. I also mixed this with interval cardio, but it sounds like you are not ready for the latter yet.

Whatever you choose to do and whatever fits your ability / lifestyle, I agree 100% with the previous posters, there is absolutely no reason not to start "lifting" and it is almost counter-productive to NOT lift.
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options

this times a bunch
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I would not hesitate. Start immediately.
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options

this times a bunch

times a bunch more. :happy:
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options

this times a bunch

times a bunch more. :happy:

P.S. Women NEED to strength train like they need air. It's absolutely necessary to keep our bones dense and our muscles strong to keep the bones in place, especially post-menopause. You don't need to train like a body builder, so don't let it scare you off. Strength training would be a great compliment to your C25K program, which exercises your cardiovascular system (heart & lungs). I'm also 50. Send me a friend request, if you'd like.
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Definitely, you need to start like yesterday. Lifting just rocks :drinker:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Just do it...no need to wait...start now. You will thank yourself immensely down the road.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    in to take down names of gurus, to send FRs to later!